Cases of Absolute Idiocy and Lack of Understanding

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-06-2012, 02:31 AM
Cases of Absolute Idiocy and Lack of Understanding
I've come across a great deal of idiocy as of late, and I'm sure most of you have as well. Idiocy is a part of our lives that none of us can escape, so I thought I'd start up this topic so that we can each post our own accounts of idiocy from people within our lives. Some of these cases are rather amusing and I think it'll be fun reading over them or commenting on them.

Here's an account of something that occurred between me and my mom fairly recently.

Me, my mom, and my sister were all in the car together. We were having several different conversations on different topics, and eventually, the topic of our government came up. My mom went ahead and stated, somewhere in that conversation, that "The government is taking away our rights." Though this is true in some cases, I was curious as to what my mom considered a removal of American rights, so I asked her what rights the government was taking away. She took a moment to think of one before stating: "Well, you need to be a Mexican to get on Well-fare." At this, I tried to tell her that this wasn't true, and that the foundation of our government wouldn't allow this to occur, and she simply replied "No, if you look at them, they're all Mexicans." I pursued the argument further until she simply stated that she didn't want to argue without having given any facts to support her claim.

*facepalm*
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-06-2012, 02:35 AM
RE: Cases of Absolute Idiocy and Lack of Understanding
Generally when I hear things like that, they are being repeated out of something through confirmation bias. In other words, they heard something they agreed with and liked, heard nothing else about whether or not the statements could be supported in any sort of contradiction and accept it because it sounds good.

When challenged, instant cognitive dissonance.

It isn't so much the idiocy of it, but rather that people enjoy going along with what sounds good to them because it sides with them. If someone says it and they agree with it, it only strengthens their agreement with that said subject, making it easier and easier to toss something aside with little to no thinking about it via cognitive dissonance.
[+] 2 users Like Logisch's post
21-06-2012, 06:13 AM
[Image: e85bd420-080c-48ba-b89a-0803c35f1264.jpg]

Laughat

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
21-06-2012, 06:19 AM
LMAO always love your posts man.
21-06-2012, 06:57 AM
My mate bought a Mac-10 submachine gun and decided to test it out one night on a park a few years ago.

He fired the whole magazine off in about 3 seconds.

Firstly he was a fucking idiot for buying one in the first place seeing as we live in the uk and secondly he cant source any ammunition for it (luckily)

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.