Cassini Finds Global Ocean in Saturn's Moon Enceladus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-09-2015, 03:43 AM
Cassini Finds Global Ocean in Saturn's Moon Enceladus
NASA

One huge nail in the coffin for creationists that try to assert there is no water anywhere else but Earth (even though we've previously found some) Thumbsup

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Octapulse's post
26-09-2015, 03:45 AM
RE: Cassini Finds Global Ocean in Saturn's Moon Enceladus
Quote:Researchers found the magnitude of the moon's very slight wobble, as it orbits Saturn, can only be accounted for if its outer ice shell is not frozen solid to its interior, meaning a global ocean must be present.

The finding implies the fine spray of water vapor, icy particles and simple organic molecules Cassini has observed coming from fractures near the moon's south pole is being fed by this vast liquid water reservoir. The research is presented in a paper published online this week in the journal Icarus.

Previous analysis of Cassini data suggested the presence of a lens-shaped body of water, or sea, underlying the moon's south polar region. However, gravity data collected during the spacecraft's several close passes over the south polar region lent support to the possibility the sea might be global. The new results -- derived using an independent line of evidence based on Cassini's images -- confirm this to be the case.

Dammit Octapulse, you so lazy. Tongue

living word
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
26-09-2015, 06:00 AM
(26-09-2015 03:45 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
Quote:Researchers found the magnitude of the moon's very slight wobble, as it orbits Saturn, can only be accounted for if its outer ice shell is not frozen solid to its interior, meaning a global ocean must be present.

The finding implies the fine spray of water vapor, icy particles and simple organic molecules Cassini has observed coming from fractures near the moon's south pole is being fed by this vast liquid water reservoir. The research is presented in a paper published online this week in the journal Icarus.

Previous analysis of Cassini data suggested the presence of a lens-shaped body of water, or sea, underlying the moon's south polar region. However, gravity data collected during the spacecraft's several close passes over the south polar region lent support to the possibility the sea might be global. The new results -- derived using an independent line of evidence based on Cassini's images -- confirm this to be the case.

Dammit Octapulse, you so lazy. Tongue

That I am Big Grin

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
[+] 1 user Likes Octapulse's post
26-09-2015, 10:49 AM
Move over Europa, we got other moons to explore.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
26-09-2015, 12:21 PM
(26-09-2015 03:43 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  creationists that try to assert there is no water anywhere else but Earth

Wow, I've heard creaturds say a lot of crazy shit, but that would be a new one for me.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
26-09-2015, 12:31 PM
(26-09-2015 12:21 PM)cactus Wrote:  
(26-09-2015 03:43 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  creationists that try to assert there is no water anywhere else but Earth

Wow, I've heard creaturds say a lot of crazy shit, but that would be a new one for me.

I guess you haven't seen the "Why Creationists Get Laughed At" videos

[+] 3 users Like Octapulse's post
26-09-2015, 12:44 PM
I don't think I've ever heard creationists say that either. We already knew there is water on europa and there is ice/possibly water on mars. Water does seem to be pretty abundant...

edit: hahahaha, just saw the video, "scientists have been searching for water on other planets, but it is futile", holy fuck

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
[+] 1 user Likes Imathinker's post
26-09-2015, 01:11 PM
Never underestimate the stupidity of a creationist. Angel

living word
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
26-09-2015, 08:53 PM
Nonono. You see all the water STARTED here on Earth, but geyesered up out of the ground during the Noah flood, and some of it achieved escape velocity and landed on other bodies in the solar system.

.... or there's the apologists who say that the flood was caused by a giant ice comet hitting the Earth.

... and then there's the idea that prior to the flood there was a giant shell of ICE around the Earth that somehow blocked UV and increased atmospheric pressure, and those atmospheric changes allowed humans to grow into giants and lizards to grow into dinosaurs and everyone and everything to live longer, but that ice got converted to water for the flood, and let's ignore the fact that atmosphere doesn't work like that and that the ice was somehow both thick enough to have the strength to hold together under planet-wide gravity stresses and tidal stressing from the moon yet thin enough to let sunlight through and yet still contained enough water to cover Everest and who cares where that water went anyway?

I say put all of them in the same room for a debate and see who manages to persuade the others.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post