Cast iron cooking

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2016, 01:09 AM
Cast iron cooking
I almost cook exclusively with cast iron cookware. I love it. I've managed to make a horde of delicious meals the last few years, ever since I really delved into the hobby of 'adjusting' with cast iron cooking.

Anybody else in the same "loveboat" with cast iron stuff?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like UndauntedToast's post
14-01-2016, 02:01 AM
RE: Cast iron cooking
I've had some cast iron pans in the past that I loved. Don't have any now but I'd like to get some more.
14-01-2016, 02:07 AM
Yeah I used it a lot. I used to put on many dinner parties. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
14-01-2016, 02:15 AM
Yep. That cast iron pan? It will be in usable condition long after we're all dead.
14-01-2016, 04:03 AM
I've collected 'em for years - mostly ugly, rusty ones from garage sales... I've got from a 4 inch to a 14 inch.

I've reconditioned them, and there's a trick to using cast iron.... I've heard people say they NEVER wash their cast iron for fear of losing the coating....

I suppose that's fine, if you consider ptomaine a condiment.......

After I'm done using a cast iron pan - the best thing is to clean it right away. I use Dawn detergent and hot water - and a Scotch Brite pad -- every time.... I scrub until the pan looks and feels clean. I don't worry if it "breaks through" the blackening and gets shiny in spots.... The main thing you're doing is polishing the surface.

Then wipe the pan dry and put on the stove at high heat - to cook off all the water. Let it sit on the heat for at least another 30 seconds -- then spray with Pam or any other canola based spray. Do NOT wipe off the excess. Take off heat and put it away greasy.

Over time the pan will get a glassy texture on the bottom - and you'll find it fairly "stick free"..

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
14-01-2016, 08:44 AM
I love using bacon grease to season my skillets. They shine so beautifully. One of the days, in my future dream home (heh!), I'd love to have a wall with a full fledged cast iron collection hanging. I'm a member of a big cast iron cooking group on Facebook, and one of the guys on there has something like that. I think it looks pretty awesome.

For steaks, I swear by cast iron. High heat searing and 500 in the oven. The only problem is, even with proper ventilation (i.e opening windows and using a fan), the house gets pretty smoky.

I love caramelized onions cooked low and slow in a cast iron, too.
14-01-2016, 11:12 AM
I do most of my cooking on Stainless All-Clad Tri-Ply, but I have, use and like cast iron. My favorite piece is a 5 quart chicken fryer with a lid that I mostly use for roasting pork. It works great for a 5 lb. shoulder or bone in rib roast at 275 F for about 5 or 6 hours.

Mom has several pieces of cast iron that belonged to her grandmother. They are at least 100 years old and still get used on a regular basis. She is leaving the cast iron to me in her will because she knows I'm the only one of her 3 kids that will take care of it. And no, I don't use soap. Just deglaze it like I would a piece of stainless and rinse with hot water. Any scrubbing is done with a piece of chain mail.

[Image: cornbread.jpg]

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
14-01-2016, 11:25 AM
I like cooking with cast iron but I gave it up years ago because of the weight. I love a German Apple Pancake in a cast iron skillet. Nothing better.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
14-01-2016, 01:27 PM
Another thing -- the 14 inch pan I have makes an awesome Chicago style deep dish pizza...

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.