[Image: murallas_avila_t0500016.jpg_1306973099.jpg]

the Alcazar in Segovia
[Image: Alcazar-of-Segovia.jpg]

Closer to home in the New World

Castillo San Felipe del Morro, San Juan, Puerto Rico
[Image: SanJuanFort.jpg]

Castillo de San Marcos, St. Augustine, Florida
[Image: pvt_st-augustine-fort.jpg]

plus a bunch of coastal Civil War forts, the closest one to me is in Key West, Fort Zachary Taylor
[Image: cm0164.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
09-04-2016, 12:31 PM
RE: Castles
(09-04-2016 12:28 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(09-04-2016 12:06 PM)Sam Wrote:  This is Dinas Bran... About 4 miles south of me. Probably one of my favourites, despite there being very little of it left. The place is heavily associated with the Fisher King story. The Fisher King himself is probably derived from an ancient Celtic deity called Bran the Blessed. It also features in the Fulk Fitzwarine as "Chastile Bran", where it was said to be cursed, and home to a giant named Gogmagog.

The castle was actually built by a chap called Gryffydd Maelor, who was ruler of the ancient kingdom of Powys Fadog, on the site of an Iron Age hillfort. Like Caergwrle, it too was burnt by its own garrison as the Normans advanced into the area. Ornate carvings have been found at the site, which is rare for a Welsh castle, suggesting it was Maelor's royal home.

[Image: tumblr_mby9cwxwg51r0z02ho1_1280.jpg]

A CGI reconstruction.

[Image: 1941743229-Dinas_Bran-6.jpg]

I shall rebuild and I shall call it Edoras!

You'll need a hell of a lot of stone...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-04-2016, 12:32 PM
(09-04-2016 12:31 PM)Sam Wrote:  
(09-04-2016 12:28 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I shall rebuild and I shall call it Edoras!

You'll need a hell of a lot of stone...

To have my own Edoras? Ill make it happen. Lol

I'm not surprised the similarity to be honest.
09-04-2016, 12:34 PM
I've been hooked on this show for the last week or so. It's call Secrets of the Castle. They have 3 people a historian, a geologist and an archilogist. And they're help with the build of a medivel castle using only the tools and practices of the time. It's takes 17 years in on a 25 year prodject. Astounding stuff.

Being from The States we don't really have any REAL castles. I mean we do. Just none with long royal history's.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 3 users Like Commonsensei's post
09-04-2016, 12:35 PM
(09-04-2016 12:32 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(09-04-2016 12:31 PM)Sam Wrote:  You'll need a hell of a lot of stone...

To have my own Edoras? Ill make it happen. Lol

They are actually quite similar...

[Image: 357280-castell-dinas-bran.jpeg]

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
09-04-2016, 12:36 PM
(09-04-2016 12:35 PM)Sam Wrote:  
(09-04-2016 12:32 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  To have my own Edoras? Ill make it happen. Lol

They are actually quite similar...

Yeah. Tolkien loved the mythology and languages from that area. I wouldnt be surprised if he borrowed from the architecture as well.
09-04-2016, 12:36 PM
(09-04-2016 12:34 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  I've been hooked on this show for the last week or so. It's call Secrets of the Castle. They have 3 people a historian, a geologist and an archilogist. And they're help with the build of a medivel castle using only the tools and practices of the time. It's takes 17 years in on a 25 year prodject. Astounding stuff.

Being from The States we don't really have any REAL castles. I mean we do. Just none with long royal history's.

I think there is one "real" castle in North America... I believe it was built by the Spanish. Can't remember what its called though.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
09-04-2016, 12:38 PM
(09-04-2016 12:36 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(09-04-2016 12:35 PM)Sam Wrote:  They are actually quite similar...

Yeah. Tolkien loved the mythology and languages from that area. I wouldnt be surprised if he borrowed from the architecture as well.

Apparently Harrison Ford likes to go narrow boating in the area. I've never seen him there.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
09-04-2016, 12:41 PM
(09-04-2016 12:34 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  I've been hooked on this show for the last week or so. It's call Secrets of the Castle. They have 3 people a historian, a geologist and an archilogist. And they're help with the build of a medivel castle using only the tools and practices of the time. It's takes 17 years in on a 25 year prodject. Astounding stuff.

I think I've seen that... I'll have to keep my eye open for it.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
09-04-2016, 12:44 PM
I have to show you this one... Kidwelly in South Wales.

This one is briefly seen at the beginning of Monty Python and the Holy Grail... The bit where they're arguing about swallows. Big Grin

[Image: 2010_0606picturesfirst0099.JPG]

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
[+] 3 users Like Sam's post