Castles

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2016, 12:52 PM
RE: Castles
(09-04-2016 12:36 PM)Sam Wrote:  
(09-04-2016 12:34 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  I've been hooked on this show for the last week or so. It's call Secrets of the Castle. They have 3 people a historian, a geologist and an archilogist. And they're help with the build of a medivel castle using only the tools and practices of the time. It's takes 17 years in on a 25 year prodject. Astounding stuff.

Being from The States we don't really have any REAL castles. I mean we do. Just none with long royal history's.

I think there is one "real" castle in North America... I believe it was built by the Spanish. Can't remember what its called though.

Chapultepec Castle?

[Image: Castillo_de_chapultepcec.jpeg]

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post
09-04-2016, 12:56 PM
(09-04-2016 12:52 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
(09-04-2016 12:36 PM)Sam Wrote:  I think there is one "real" castle in North America... I believe it was built by the Spanish. Can't remember what its called though.

Chapultepec Castle?

[Image: Castillo_de_chapultepcec.jpeg]

That rings a bell... Yeah, I think that's it.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-04-2016, 01:05 PM
If anyone's ever seen the Disney film Dragonslayer... This was Ulrich's castle.

Dolwyddelan, in Conwy.

[Image: Dolwyddelan_Castle_Cadw.jpg]

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
[+] 2 users Like Sam's post
09-04-2016, 01:05 PM
Very cool info and pictures! Thumbsup

I think castles are pretty cool but I am not too sure I would have wanted to live in one way back when. I am a bit too spoiled by modern creature comforts.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
09-04-2016, 01:08 PM
(09-04-2016 01:05 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Very cool info and pictures! Thumbsup

I think castles are pretty cool but I am not too sure I would have wanted to live in one way back when. I am a bit too spoiled by modern creature comforts.

Its difficult to imagine how they really would've been. But its likely that they were very lavishly decorated. What distinguishes a castle from simply a fortress is that it had to double as a home for nobility. A castle in the middle ages was probably about as luxurious as things got.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
09-04-2016, 01:15 PM
I'm sure a lot of people will know this from the song, Men of Harlech.

Harlech had a tough working life, coming under siege several times. First by Madog ap Llywelyn in 1294, who failed to take it. Then again in 1404 by Owain Glyndwr, who captured it. He made it his headquarters and parliament. His personal seal was found in one of the towers. It was retaken from him in 1409 after an 8 month siege... By that time, most of the garrison had starved to death.

The longest siege in British history took place here during the Wars of the Roses, where the Lancastrian garrison held it for 7 years, against Yorkist forces. The song was written about this siege.

[Image: 700%20267%20Castell%20Harlech%20Castle.jpg]

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
[+] 3 users Like Sam's post
09-04-2016, 01:16 PM
(09-04-2016 01:08 PM)Sam Wrote:  
(09-04-2016 01:05 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Very cool info and pictures! Thumbsup

Its difficult to imagine how they really would've been. But its likely that they were very lavishly decorated. What distinguishes a castle from simply a fortress is that it had to double as a home for nobility. A castle in the middle ages was probably about as luxurious as things got.
That would be the key...I am too fond of electricity and plumbing.

Of course, if I had lived during that time a castle would be the preferred place of residence since it would have been among the very best.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
09-04-2016, 01:21 PM
Trifels ("triple rock"). The "fort knox" of the german emperors during the high medieval. They kept their most valuable belongings there, the imperial regalia, amongst them the Spear of Destiny.

In the late 12th century they kept someting even more valuable for a short period of time there, Richard I. of England, better known as "Lionheart".

It was abandoned later and became a ruin. In the 19th century it was rebuild.

[Image: Trifels_-_aus_der_Hubschrauberperspektive.JPG]
[+] 3 users Like Deesse23's post
09-04-2016, 01:36 PM

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
09-04-2016, 03:27 PM
I know of Hearst Castle here in California.

[Image: hearst-castle-aerial.jpg]

There is also Castello di Amorosa in Napa Valley.

[Image: Castle_Wide_Fall_Full1of11.jpg]

[Image: tasting-room-wine-napa.jpg]

Guy made a killing in wine. And hired blacksmiths and stone masons to build him a castle. He hired some amazing architects that payed privilege to castles of the past.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post