Casualty of Ignorance. Blood Transfusion refused.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2013, 11:29 PM
RE: Casualty of Ignorance. Blood Transfusion refused.
I'm sorry for your loss.
You have every right to be mad!
This could have been prevented if there was no superstition!
Why the fuck do people believe some shit wich has no evidence is more important than a man's live?
I would be furious!

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-07-2013, 01:01 PM
I am so saddened and sorry for your loss. This has been an occurrence we are all seeing more and more of in the news, and every time we do we are all shocked and left with incredulous thoughts. My mother-in-law is a Jehovah's Witness so I understand, all to well, the dogma behind this...Their teachings leave little room for doubt about the harmful and backwards nature of their brand of Christianity. Your friends death was senseless and avoidable, and we all know it. Your anger and shock is completely justifiable.

"History teaches us that no other cause has brought more death than the word of god."
08-07-2013, 01:05 PM
Sorry, buddy.

In Brian's memory, I recommit to fighting this insidious and stupid doctrine every time I encounter it. It's one thing to disagree with people about God. It's another thing when you're so stubborn you kill people rather than change your mind.

I fight with you.
[+] 1 user Likes TwoCultSurvivor's post
09-07-2013, 11:42 PM
Thank you. Thank you all for caring.

And please do get the word out. If you know any Jehovah's Witnesses or any who are affected by them, please do what you can to not let this happen ever again.

I practically begged Seth to get the word out. He has an audience and a loud voice. I, of course, do not.

I know that begging is unseemly, but if my story can prevent this from happening to anyone else, it is well worth my selfishness. I knew that this sort of thing does happen. But did I ever expect that this WOULD happen to our family? No. I am a fool. I am fool because this already almost happened to my wife after giving birth to our son. I am a fool because I didn't realize that Brian would likely come to this dilemma. I am a fool because I have not kept regular contact with him since moving back to my hometown.

I might have prevented this by being a better friend. And so Brian's blood is also on my hands. I knew better. I knew what saved my wife. I didn't know he was in surgery, but if I had been a better friend, I would have known. If I would have known, I would have told him. I would have begged him to accept a blood transfusion. I would have begged the surgeon. I would have begged my sister-in-law.

Please, if you are or you know any Jehovah's Witnesses, let this story be known. A good man died. An very intelligent man died. His wife is widowed. His sons and daughters are fatherless. And why? Because of some ridiculous superstition. Because of ignorance.

Don't be like me. Don't sit idly by.

--Apostopheles

"The problem with faith is that it really is a conversation stopper. Faith is a declaration of immunity to the powers of conversation. It is a reason why you do not have to give reasons for what you believe." - Sam Harris
[+] 1 user Likes SingingBear's post
09-07-2013, 11:46 PM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2013 11:58 PM by SingingBear.)
On that note, fuck the "Apostopheles".

I am Justin Ruggles. He was Brian Meece.

I am an atheist and I am shamed that I wasn't able to prevent this. I didn't know. I didn't try.

I am angry. I am angry at myself. I am angry at my sister-in-law. I am angry at Brian. Mostly, I am fucking pissed at the Watchtower & Bible Tract Society.

This is cliche, but this is how I feel:

"The problem with faith is that it really is a conversation stopper. Faith is a declaration of immunity to the powers of conversation. It is a reason why you do not have to give reasons for what you believe." - Sam Harris
[+] 1 user Likes SingingBear's post
10-07-2013, 07:32 AM
Seth mentioned last week that he wants to do a podcast on the JWs. I sent him a PDF if the "Learn from the Great Teacher" book because the indoctrination starts in childhood if you're unlucky enough to be born in or raised in the JWs. There's no room for dissent allowed. A kid can be shunned for being deemed a "bad association" - it happened to me and I watched it happen to my own son. This kind of bullying is an effective mechanism to gain conformity within the cult. Shunning is exquisitely painful when you're too young to understand that it isn't you in the wrong, it's them trying to make you feel you're wrong.

I could go on, but I'll stop for now. Know that I'm in your corner, Justin. We all are.

. . . all the gods were stories we told the children to make them behave. ~ Thoros of Myr (Game of Thrones, Episode 3:06)
10-07-2013, 08:13 AM
I am sorry for the loss...

A friend (former JW) had a brother who was in a horrific accident, only because their father was not JW was he allowed to have the transfusion that ultimately saved his life though he still suffers from other issues. As my friend was a couple years out of the faith when we met, we talked about the transfusion issue and I asked if she still felt the same and didn't she realize that Jason was alive because of the blood he given. Still not quite free...she said that were it not for the transfusion Jason wouldn't have Hepatitis. No, true statement, he would have been dead. The hold of that teaching is so strong and so wrong.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
16-07-2013, 05:07 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss.

I couldn't go through the entire thing, it just made me so sad.
I lost my 7-year old niece the same way, you lost your friend. She was sick, and needed a blood transfusion, but my sister and her husband wouldn't accept it because they are Jehovas.
[+] 1 user Likes MuffinPuffin's post
16-07-2013, 11:03 PM
What a powerful piece of writing. It has moved many people on this forum, myself included.

Your anger is as understandable as is your sorrow. Please accept my heartfelt condolences. What a needless loss to all concerned.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”