Cat Population Problem.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-07-2013, 09:54 PM
Exclamation Cat Population Problem.
I've talked about this before, but this year it is getting out of hand.

I live in the house that was my grandma's before she died. She had one outdoor cat. A one-eyed breeding machine named Jack. Jack must've had over a dozen liters, but is now barren, had her last litter last year. After my grandma died, no one really cared for the cats, so their population remained at about 10. They were feral cats, and after my grandma died even Jack became feral. Since my wife and I moved in to the house we started feeding the cats, and slowly earned the trust of most of the cats. Since then their population has more than doubled. We cannot afford to continue caring for over twenty cats in addition to our three indoor cats, but I do not have the heart to let them go hungry, or kill them. There are no "no-kill" shelters, and getting that many fixed would be too expensive as well. We've found good homes for about a half dozen of them, but there are still over twenty.

We could catch all but about 5, maybe all but a couple if we were lucky. Advice?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2013, 10:00 PM
RE: Cat Population Problem.
(01-07-2013 09:54 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I've talked about this before, but this year it is getting out of hand.

I live in the house that was my grandma's before she died. She had one outdoor cat. A one-eyed breeding machine named Jack. Jack must've had over a dozen liters, but is now barren, had her last litter last year. After my grandma died, no one really cared for the cats, so their population remained at about 10. They were feral cats, and after my grandma died even Jack became feral. Since my wife and I moved in to the house we started feeding the cats, and slowly earned the trust of most of the cats. Since then their population has more than doubled. We cannot afford to continue caring for over twenty cats in addition to our three indoor cats, but I do not have the heart to let them go hungry, or kill them. There are no "no-kill" shelters, and getting that many fixed would be too expensive as well. We've found good homes for about a half dozen of them, but there are still over twenty.

We could catch all but about 5, maybe all but a couple if we were lucky. Advice?

Have you contacted your local ASPCA? They may be able to help you find local no kill rescues, or might be able to help with some of the vet bills.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
01-07-2013, 10:45 PM
There is no local ASPCA, the closest one is about 5 hours away. I live in the boondocks. However I am pleased to report that my wife found a home for three of them, and possibly a forth. I kind of hate to see them go, they are about the sweetest kittens ever, but they need a good home. One lady even offered to take two of them, so a brother and sister get to remain together which is great. I still need to catch a couple of the more feral kittens and there is another litter of unknown size around somewhere.

A long-term solution means neutering. I will probably only live here a two or three more years, after that they will be on their own. I have found several cat remains on the property and would hate for that to be a continuing theme here after we've left.

01-07-2013, 10:47 PM
SPAY AND NEUTER YOUR PETS. This situation is going to be a tragedy that is easily avoidable in the future by following that advice.

As for the cats, you may have no choice but to take them now to a shelter for their care. Keep and alter the one you wish, but the others are going to have to go.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
01-07-2013, 10:52 PM
(01-07-2013 09:54 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I've talked about this before, but this year it is getting out of hand.

Where do you live?

Here, the process is actually simple. You call them up, they round up the cats, trap them. Though we do have no kill shelters, they don't apply to those animals that don't meet the standard for adoptions.

An example might be a very aggressive dog or a feral cat. Kittens can be in some cases with lots of work, adopted out. It depends on how social they are.

Some shelters do have a mobile spay and neuter clinics that do it at low cost or no cost. A few have feral programs too.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

01-07-2013, 11:05 PM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2013 01:14 AM by Dark Light.)
(01-07-2013 10:52 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Some shelters do have a mobile spay and neuter clinics that do it at low cost or no cost. A few have feral programs too.

That sounds like what I need. I will look into this option. Thanks. Thumbsup

02-07-2013, 12:59 AM
I think there are websites online to advertise the cats for homes - if you can't find anything else try that.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
02-07-2013, 06:55 AM
otgun-shay. :offee-cay:
02-07-2013, 07:37 AM
I hate to be the cold one here, but honestly, euthanization may be the kindest option. Not only will feral cats end up living a VERY difficult life, they will also continue breeding. A lot. A whole helluva lot.

Doing it yourself isn't likely an option, since you know these animals like pets, but a compassionate friend with a 20 gauge shotgun may just be the best way to handle the situation.

Bring on the hate. I'm ready.....

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
02-07-2013, 07:43 AM
I would still contact them. Some do trap-alter-return on feral cats. You might check if there is such an organization or shelter in your area that will do it.

Or you could talk to a local farmer and see if he could use some more cats. Usually they need them to keep mice out of the feed.