Cat Population Problem.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-07-2013, 07:44 AM
RE: Cat Population Problem.
(02-07-2013 07:37 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I hate to be the cold one here, but honestly, euthanization may be the kindest option. Not only will feral cats end up living a VERY difficult life, they will also continue breeding. A lot. A whole helluva lot.

Doing it yourself isn't likely an option, since you know these animals like pets, but a compassionate friend with a 20 gauge shotgun may just be the best way to handle the situation.

Bring on the hate. I'm ready.....

Don't recommend shooting them, but trapping them and handing them over to animal control (who will euthanize them) would be the best option here.

Again, this is a tragedy which is easily avoidable by spaying and neutering your pets.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2013, 07:46 AM
(02-07-2013 07:37 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I hate to be the cold one here, but honestly, euthanization may be the kindest option. Not only will feral cats end up living a VERY difficult life, they will also continue breeding. A lot. A whole helluva lot.

Doing it yourself isn't likely an option, since you know these animals like pets, but a compassionate friend with a 20 gauge shotgun may just be the best way to handle the situation.

'muffs beat you to it in his own piggish way Yes

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
02-07-2013, 08:00 AM
(02-07-2013 07:44 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  

Don't recommend shooting them, but trapping them and handing them over to animal control (who will euthanize them) would be the best option here.

Again, this is a tragedy which is easily avoidable by spaying and neutering your pets.

Hate to argue with ya Carlo, but I have to disagree. If it comes down to euthanizing the cats, the kindest thing you can do is spare them the terror of being trapped and carted off to a strange location just so they can be euthanized "cleanly".

A shotgun means a whole lot more blood, but only the humans have to cope with that. The kindness showed to the cat is worth it. I would never take an animal, pet or otherwise, to a vet to be killed. I'd much prefer that animal die quickly, in it's own environment, where it is calm and unaware. It is the least we can do.

Spaying and neutering is relatively cheap, it's easy, quick, and saves more suffering than we can likely comprehend. PLEASE snip your pets!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
02-07-2013, 08:28 AM
We got overrun with ferals a few years ago. They came out of the woods, all emaciated, drinking from the pond on our property.

My husband caught them with a live trap for raccoons, one by one, and had them spayed/neutered.

We had an old, small trailer and put them in there until they were all recovered from surgery. Then hubby started opening the door in the morning and putting the food away. In the eve, he would put the food back in the trailer, cats would go in to eat and get locked up for the night, keeping them safe from predators (raccoons, coyotes, mountain lions) and keeping the wild bird population safe. They have lived there for some 6 years now, hubby passed on and I am feeding them still.

One got tame enough to be touched, the rest comes when called but keeps just out of reach. One always hides.

I don't mind taking care of them. They are interesting to watch, they take care of each other, they share everything. People always say cats don't mind being left alone and are loners - watching that colony makes you wonder about that. They have quite the empathetic society going.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
02-07-2013, 10:09 AM
(02-07-2013 08:28 AM)Dom Wrote:  They are interesting to watch, they take care of each other, they share everything. People always say cats don't mind being left alone and are loners - watching that colony makes you wonder about that. They have quite the empathetic society going.

Yeah - There seems to be a misconception that cats are loners but they are far from it. They can survive alone but just like dogs when they go feral they form communities when they can. Then again a lot of people say animals dont dream, dont feel emotion etc.... people get some really weird ideas about the world outside of themselves sometimes.
[+] 1 user Likes Wandering Heathen's post
02-07-2013, 10:26 AM
SEND THE KITTIES TO ME!!!!!!!!! Big Grin

[Image: giphy.gif]
02-07-2013, 10:30 AM
I can't stand cats. Anything you do to limit or otherwise destroy the cat population is a good move to me.

Dogs fucking rule.Drinking Beverage

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
02-07-2013, 10:44 AM
(02-07-2013 10:30 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  I can't stand cats. Anything you do to limit or otherwise destroy the cat population is a good move to me.

Bigot. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
02-07-2013, 10:50 AM
(02-07-2013 10:44 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-07-2013 10:30 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  I can't stand cats. Anything you do to limit or otherwise destroy the cat population is a good move to me.

Bigot. Drinking Beverage

Indeed.Drinking Beverage

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
02-07-2013, 10:50 AM

[Image: 9f6.gif]