Categorized zingers by religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-08-2015, 08:04 PM
Categorized zingers by religion
A few of the recent threads have me thinking: Do we need something similar to GWG's resource for every religion's weakest arguments or most ridiculous attributes?

For instance, when I see a Mormon coming to my front door to chat, I automatically think of Joseph Smith, gold plates, his hat and Jesus in America. But would it be useful to have a thread that we could refer to that had each religion categorized with these red flags? Sometimes I'm on Omegle busting balls when someone starts a chat with me and I'm trying to remember what is so ridiculous about the religion they are defending.

Just a thought, but I think it might be helpful for all of these noobs on here who are always seeking help with their debates. I know there are a bunch of stickied resources on here where you could probably extract this info with a lot of legwork, but does this consolidated resource exist and I've missed it?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
03-08-2015, 08:54 PM
RE: Categorized zingers by religion
While I think this would be a worthy cause, I myself am far too lazy to compile the necessary info. With that in mind, if others are in the same boat, it's totally understandable. If not, I look forward to your resource mining 😀
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmic Discourse's post
03-08-2015, 10:45 PM
I'm liking the idea, too.

The trick will be maintaining its integrity with minimal effort.

Consider

Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
03-08-2015, 10:48 PM
Agreed, and it would need to have bullet points, not flowing prose, otherwise it would become unruly and defeat its purpose.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
03-08-2015, 11:20 PM
(03-08-2015 10:48 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Agreed, and it would need to have bullet points, not flowing prose, otherwise it would become unruly and defeat its purpose.

Sure but I was thinking about not just the creation of the lists but how to add to them later. Posts can't be edited after a few days.

For GWoG and Near, they have ownership and allocated rights. How would the lists be added to (by all and sundry) without edit rights?

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
04-08-2015, 06:56 AM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2015 07:00 AM by The Organic Chemist.)
(03-08-2015 08:04 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Sometimes I'm on Omegle busting balls when someone starts a chat with me and I'm trying to remember what is so ridiculous about the religion they are defending.

I thought busting your balls on Omegle would get you banned. Big Grin

Sorry, it was just sitting on that silver platter. I also like the idea but how would you be able to keep a thread under 100 pages with only the stuff from Q and Egor?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
04-08-2015, 07:27 AM
(03-08-2015 11:20 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(03-08-2015 10:48 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Agreed, and it would need to have bullet points, not flowing prose, otherwise it would become unruly and defeat its purpose.

Sure but I was thinking about not just the creation of the lists but how to add to them later. Posts can't be edited after a few days.

For GWoG and Near, they have ownership and allocated rights. How would the lists be added to (by all and sundry) without edit rights?

It would take coordination, perhaps through PMs, and then there would have to be one person entrusted with creating the thread and monitoring/editing/updating it. The process would be explained within the OP.

----
04-08-2015, 07:36 AM
(03-08-2015 10:45 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I'm liking the idea, too.

The trick will be maintaining its integrity with minimal effort.

Consider

Posts could be submitted for moderator approval and only upon approval added to the thread. That way we weed out spamming trolls and derailments.
We devote an entire section of the forum to it, call it the resource section or something.

Sadly it alerts itself to the theists who visit. Or it can be a secret section where members must be invited once trust has been established. We can fill it with sections on important areas concerning scripture, current issues etc.

I could go on about it more in detail but don't want to share these ideas with wandering theists.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post