Catholic Church Still Protecting Its Paedophile Priests

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-11-2016, 12:54 AM
Exclamation Catholic Church Still Protecting Its Paedophile Priests
This is a link to a report published in my local daily, the Melbourne AGE newspaper. It's fairly lengthy, but well worth reading as it exposes the continuing legal defences—worth millions of dollars—mounted by the Australian Catholic church in order to minimise its responsibility and its financial compensation to hundreds of (former) child sexual abuse victims.

Rubbing Salt Into the Wound for Abuse Victims.

Former Australian Cardinal George Pell, and Melbourne Archbishop Dennis Hart are both known to have shifted paedophile priests around to new dioceses as their reprehensible crimes continued, and the church had to "hide" them. Both however have so far escaped any retribution. Pell has been conveniently hidden away in Rome as the Vatican's Prefect of the Secretariat for the Economy, and—unbelievably—Hart is still the Melbourne bishop. He admitted to being first aware of a priest's child abuse in 1996, but then let him continue as a primary school teacher. Why Hart has not faced any criminal charges—for complicity—is a mystery, but certainly indicates the political power the RC church can call up when it needs to.

That these church coverups, and millions of dollars spent on defending the indefensible are still continuing makes me more than very angry. And I'm sure the same sort of thing's happening in the US.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like SYZ's post
27-11-2016, 06:10 AM
RE: Catholic Church Still Protecting Its Paedophile Priests
I'm sure it's continuing to happen in the US. I've also read that one destination for US pedophile priests is RC parishes in South America. It's a hell of a shell game.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
27-11-2016, 07:51 AM
One of the big (and many) reasons I left the Catholic church.
27-11-2016, 11:58 AM
And how did I know it would be Pell before I even clicked the thread?

While I'd not be shocked at similar here in the U.S., there has been some house cleaning. My archdiocese faces a priest shortage partially due to the archbishop they sent in after the sex abuse scandals here became public, and he went through on a righteous warpath, getting rid of everyone involved in molestation or covering up molestation (as he should have). To even be involved in any programs where kids may be present, there's now a multi-part Safe Environment Training thing, which includes how to report if the clergy (or volunteers) are abusing children. And I believe it's also archdiocese policy to suspend a priest pending investigation by both law enforcement and the archdiocese to see if there's any substance to accusations.

As an aside, the 2002 John Jay College of Criminal Justice study the USCCB paid millions for. There's six straight pages in the section that talks about clergy abuse activities.

(As another aside, two times since becoming Catholic my "I don't like this guy"-dar has gone off. One was later arrested for sex abuse of a minor.)

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
27-11-2016, 06:08 PM
All these priests need to get get laid. Can't the pope just say it's ok to pork? That might solve the problem at least partially.
[+] 2 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
27-11-2016, 06:14 PM
(27-11-2016 06:08 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  All these priests need to get get laid. Can't the pope just say it's ok to pork? That might solve the problem at least partially.
It's also sad when it's well known, or avaliable knowledge to those who can see it, that it was an decision made against priests for poltical property law to not let them have marriages n families. Just as baffling as the whole no meat on Friday lent thing which is merely to help not overeat the livestock.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
27-11-2016, 06:15 PM
I don't think pedophiles would be able to satiate their desires with adults. That's not really how it works.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
27-11-2016, 06:23 PM
(27-11-2016 06:08 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  All these priests need to get get laid. Can't the pope just say it's ok to pork? That might solve the problem at least partially.

I suspect pedophiles don't become that way for lack of opportunity. They also have access to grown females, nuns, members of congregations...

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 1 user Likes tomilay's post
27-11-2016, 07:35 PM
It just seems odd to me that so many priests end up as pedos. I'm sure there is a reason for it. Being told that you can't have any vagina might have something to do with it.
27-11-2016, 07:35 PM
If access to adult sexual partners would quell pedophilia, one would expect to see a very low rate of pedophilia in intact families, too.
[+] 5 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post