Catholic Church to train more Exorcists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2018, 08:12 AM
Catholic Church to train more Exorcists
Saw this today on news and the story mentioned an angle on this I hadn't heard of or considered before, somehow.
The demand for exorcisms has increased apparently so more people to perform it is needed, supply and demand.
I could never figure out how this is still a thing, until it talked about people wanting to put a shaky past with the church behind them. "I had a demon in me so how I used to behave doesn't count". Either it's a scam on their part to secretly continue to be a 'crappy' person or they really do wish to put a "questionable" past behind them to fit in with a new crowd. (Questionable meaning current crowd wouldn't approve)
I also was thinking about the timing. A new TV series started two years about Exorcists and wondering about a connection with that.
Thoughts? Related Stories?

Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule Friedrich Nietzsche
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not a truth Marcus Aurelius
I don't want to believe. I want to know Carl Sagan
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like zankhellendros's post
01-03-2018, 08:20 AM
RE: Catholic Church to train more Exorcists
Is this TV show getting advertising from Campbell's Condensed Green Pea Soup? Wink I think there are a lot of people interested in sci-fi/horror, and nowadays reality shows. I think, those merged together, and people will tune in.

As far as exorcisms go, I do think it's a scam on some people's parts. On others, I think they really believe that demons exist in a world where a magic sky genie reigns supreme. I think in a global world where we have the Internet, tv, print media, social media etc. it doesn't take long for certain things to develop a cult following. Also much easier to say a demon made me do it than to take responsibility for your own actions.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
01-03-2018, 08:22 AM
(01-03-2018 08:12 AM)zankhellendros Wrote:  Saw this today on news and the story mentioned an angle on this I hadn't heard of or considered before, somehow.
The demand for exorcisms has increased apparently so more people to perform it is needed, supply and demand.
I could never figure out how this is still a thing, until it talked about people wanting to put a shaky past with the church behind them. "I had a demon in me so how I used to behave doesn't count". Either it's a scam on their part to secretly continue to be a 'crappy' person or they really do wish to put a "questionable" past behind them to fit in with a new crowd. (Questionable meaning current crowd wouldn't approve)
I also was thinking about the timing. A new TV series started two years about Exorcists and wondering about a connection with that.

> The Catholic Church takes yet another giant step backwards. As a former Catholic, I am in no way surprised. Dodgy
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
01-03-2018, 08:33 AM
(01-03-2018 08:12 AM)zankhellendros Wrote:  Saw this today on news and the story mentioned an angle on this I hadn't heard of or considered before, somehow.

Demons, haunting, and possession are all parts of Catholic dogma. Sure it could be a convenient excuse for being a shitty person, but at least it's theologically consistent.

Pope Franken Berry has been pretty consistent and vocal since his installation on the 'need' to expand and reinforce Catholic exorcism work. Just another way this monster shows his true colours behind his thin veneer of humanity and humility which the mainstream media goes out of its way to ignore.

This is a Pope and Church dedicated not only to the continuation of, but the expansion of programs specifically designed to torture the mentally and physically ill and vulnerable under their influence. It is extremely dangerous to play into or reinforce the delusions of the people who are 'mentally inflicted' shall we say. By encouraging and advancing the beliefs in demons and exorcisms, the Catholic Church is putting not only those undergoing exorcistic treatments, but all those around them in grave danger considering the risk of inspired or forced violent episodes from those most prone to "demonic" hallucinations.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 5 users Like Free Thought's post
01-03-2018, 09:03 AM
Those sneaky debils.
Just when you think Jaysuss is winning, "pooph", up pop a bunch more debils.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein It is objectively immoral to kill innocent babies. Please stick to the guilty babies.
01-03-2018, 04:35 PM
Thinking like a form of religious hypochondriasis, for some at least. Wanting to believe in an exterior cause for their own behavior rather than taking responsibility for it, instead of owning it as who you are.
Like when a tv evangelist pushes someone on the head and they fall over, not because something happened but because they wanted to pretend something happened.

Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule Friedrich Nietzsche
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not a truth Marcus Aurelius
I don't want to believe. I want to know Carl Sagan
[+] 1 user Likes zankhellendros's post
01-03-2018, 07:32 PM
See my first signature below.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
01-03-2018, 10:44 PM
(01-03-2018 08:20 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I think in a global world where we have the Internet, tv, print media, social media etc. it doesn't take long for certain things to develop a cult following. Also much easier to say a demon made me do it than to take responsibility for your own actions.

In 2011, I was amazed at how many people across the nation and worldwide, tuned in to Family Radio's Harold Camping and actually believed that Judgment Day would occur on May 21, 2011. Although followers didn't really get it, they were sucked up by this and immersed in a "cult" to the extent that they gave up all their possessions and "submitted" to God. Why this didn't get more press coverage is beyond me. I would love to connect with someone on this site who feels the same way, who "experienced" this as a skeptic who was "tuned in" and calling bullshit.

Sorry for the divergence. In 1990, I believe, I sat on a jury. The defendant was accused of murder of an eight-year-old girl. His defense was that he'd taken too many drugs... a little weed, a little cocaine...(proven; yes, he had "some" in his system) and he thus had delusions that "demons" were telling him to attack his wife's kids with a knife. Demons?? We, as the jury, sent that fucker to prison for 25 years. I wish we could have done more, but that was the most we could do with CA law.

For every legend told and retold, a bit of messy but significant reality is ignored.
David Quammen, The Song of the Dodo
[+] 2 users Like Hobosapiens's post
02-03-2018, 05:00 AM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2018 05:09 AM by adey67.)
I agree with everyone here so far. Also, there seems to be an unhealthy obsession both here in the UK and in the USA with ghosts, demons, psychics and mediums, indeed all things spooky and supernatural. One only has to look at the plethora of ghost hunting TV shows and the increasing number of so called paranormal researchers available for hire, shows featuring mediums and psychics etc, and even with the "for entertainment purposes only" disclaimer (which should tell you everything you need to know about the validity of these things) people are still often hugely influenced and frequently not for the better.
So I'm not surprised by this at all. I am a member of a forum and website in the UK that debunks psychics,mediums and ghost hunting shows and new ones are added to the list on a weekly basis, its practically an epidemic over here.
When peoples imagination goes into overdrive and the lines of reality become blurred they frequently turn to the church, using another form of woo to fix woo, its pitiful to see.
[+] 3 users Like adey67's post
02-03-2018, 03:00 PM
(01-03-2018 08:33 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Demons, haunting, and possession are all parts of Catholic dogma.

I can't help but wonder why this fact (above) which is so true in all its absurdity, isn't brought more to the attention of the public and declared archaic. On page 304 of my Catholicism For Dummies (sorry, but this book is just too amusing) it states that "Authentic demonic possession is quite rare." Really? Then maybe we don't need to step it up after all. Whew.

Also listed are the things to look out for when determining what constitutes true "diabolical phenomena" (Oh how the Church struggles to sound scientific). So watch out, fellow TTAers, for people who:

1. stink
2. levitate (along with the furniture)
3. spew gobbley goop (and pea soup) from their mouths

Does one fifth of the world really believe this? Hobo

For every legend told and retold, a bit of messy but significant reality is ignored.
David Quammen, The Song of the Dodo
[+] 2 users Like Hobosapiens's post