Catholic Church to train more Exorcists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2018, 08:26 PM
RE: Catholic Church to train more Exorcists
(02-03-2018 03:00 PM)Hobosapiens Wrote:  
(01-03-2018 08:33 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Demons, haunting, and possession are all parts of Catholic dogma.

I can't help but wonder why this fact (above) which is so true in all its absurdity, isn't brought more to the attention of the public and declared archaic. On page 304 of my Catholicism For Dummies (sorry, but this book is just too amusing) it states that "Authentic demonic possession is quite rare." Really? Then maybe we don't need to step it up after all. Whew.

Also listed are the things to look out for when determining what constitutes true "diabolical phenomena" (Oh how the Church struggles to sound scientific). So watch out, fellow TTAers, for people who:

1. stink
2. levitate (along with the furniture)
3. spew gobbley goop (and pea soup) from their mouths

Does one fifth of the world really believe this? Hobo

Because demons are in their magic book, so they must be real.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2018, 09:28 PM
(02-03-2018 08:26 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Because demons are in their magic book, so they must be real.

Yes! And I don't want to beat a dead horse but another one of my favorite lines in Dummies is this:

"If medical science can't explain or treat the person and the evidence of the diabolical is present, then an exorcism might be permitted."

evidence of the diabolical.... can you believe this shit? Laugh out load

That's what faith is: belief that transcends data.
David Quammen, The Song of the Dodo
[+] 1 user Likes Hobosapiens's post
03-03-2018, 12:30 AM
(02-03-2018 09:28 PM)Hobosapiens Wrote:  
(02-03-2018 08:26 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Because demons are in their magic book, so they must be real.

Yes! And I don't want to beat a dead horse but another one of my favorite lines in Dummies is this:

"If medical science can't explain or treat the person and the evidence of the diabolical is present, then an exorcism might be permitted."

evidence of the diabolical.... can you believe this shit? Laugh out load

No. Hence why I'm not a Catholic!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
03-03-2018, 07:37 PM
Primitive societies (be it ancient Mesopotamians, Egyptians, or people in the region of Nazareth circa the first century) lacking the ability to diagnose and treat disease and mental illness, often turned to exorcists,. Modernity was to cure us of such superstitious cures, but the world in 2018 is a very retrograde place. Poverty, bad education, and no education have led more people than ever to become obsessed with the paranormal world of demons and UFO's and UFO demons. Many individuals, who for socioeconomic reasons do not have the proper health care or proper schooling, have been led into taking unscientific alternatives, the world of anti-vaxxers, homeopathy, psychic healers, alternative medicine (I'm sure that Flat Earthers have their own alternative cures; "lay flat on the ground and the Earth's natural flatness will fix your crooked back.")

Conservative economics have given us deprived societies in need of health care and education, and conservative culture is ready to cash in on those needy suckers. At the forefront is the Catholic Church, always ready to cash in: semper paratus. There was that famous exorcist film, The Exorcist, that scared a lot of people and had them running back into churches, donation money in hand. If nothing else, having headlines like "Catholic Church to Train More Exorcists" plants a seed in some people's heads that there is more to the Catholic Church than pedophilia and exploitation.
[+] 1 user Likes DistantSecond2's post
03-03-2018, 07:49 PM
(03-03-2018 07:37 PM)DistantSecond2 Wrote:  "lay flat on the ground and the Earth's natural flatness will fix your crooked back.")
Tried that - it doesn't work. Blush
The Exorcist, that scared a lot of people

I hate to admit that it scared me too - I was 17. How much was the result of indoctrination, I wonder.

I'd love to see a study done on who gives to the Church, whether in the form of check donation or pocket change in the basket, and how much do they give. In this age of Internet bots and profiling, I'll bet they're targeted.

[+] 1 user Likes Hobosapiens's post
03-03-2018, 08:48 PM
(02-03-2018 03:00 PM)Hobosapiens Wrote:  I can't help but wonder why this fact (above) which is so true in all its absurdity, isn't brought more to the attention of the public and declared archaic. On page 304 of my Catholicism For Dummies (sorry, but this book is just too amusing) it states that "Authentic demonic possession is quite rare." Really? Then maybe we don't need to step it up after all. Whew.

Yes, non-existent is definitely quite rare. Facepalm

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
03-03-2018, 09:31 PM
(03-03-2018 08:48 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yes, non-existent is definitely quite rare. Facepalm

It's just so astounding that the Church tries so hard to prove against this - that rare means rare, and not "not-existent." Why can't people see through this?? It drives me, as Richard Dawkins says, barking mad.

03-03-2018, 09:42 PM
(02-03-2018 03:00 PM)Hobosapiens Wrote:  
(01-03-2018 08:33 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Demons, haunting, and possession are all parts of Catholic dogma.

I can't help but wonder why this fact (above) which is so true in all its absurdity, isn't brought more to the attention of the public and declared archaic. On page 304 of my Catholicism For Dummies (sorry, but this book is just too amusing) it states that "Authentic demonic possession is quite rare." Really? Then maybe we don't need to step it up after all. Whew.

It's very clever marketing. Saying the real thing is "quite rare" disarms slow-witted skeptics, because, hey, the authorities are skeptical too.

[+] 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post
04-03-2018, 09:43 AM
(03-03-2018 09:42 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  It's very clever marketing. Saying the real thing is "quite rare" disarms slow-witted skeptics, because, hey, the authorities are skeptical too.
Right, so much of it is about marketing (as I said above, this is also their way of trying to get exciting headlines that don't involve child abuse: the pope himself was recently in a big controversy after he was dismissive of accusations against a bishop.)
Sam Harris recently got some flak because he had pointed out the insanity of people believing in eating and drinking Jesus' body and blood. "But its symbolic!" was the response, and he had to point out in his podcast that, no, in Catholicism transubstantiation means that the bread and wine are literally transformed into the body and blood of Jesus. It is dogma.
One of the interesting things about the RCC (as well as other religions) is the use of symbols and ceremony to bind their following to them. Whatever else they thought about the RCC, Hitler, Himmler, and Goebbels clearly admired its ability to use ritual and ceremony to manipulate people. Exorcism is the most bizarre and powerful of all the rituals, partly because Jesus himself is depicted as an exorcist in the Gospels. It isn't an accident that the Protestants, in their effort to discredit the Church's power, denied the 'True Presence' and de-emphasized exorcism.
If you can get people to believe (or at least say they believe) that you have powers over demon policing and God-cannibalism, the power you have over them is not negligible. That is why the Church still has billions, after having to spend billions on settling abuse cases.
[+] 1 user Likes DistantSecond2's post
04-03-2018, 11:17 AM
The title should be, "Catholics set to train more con artists".

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post