Catholic Church to train more Exorcists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-03-2018, 08:34 AM
RE: Catholic Church to train more Exorcists
(01-03-2018 08:12 AM)zankhellendros Wrote:  I could never figure out how this is still a thing

Given that the Catholic church still declares saints, and part of sainthood includes certified miracles, I think they're pretty used to just saying whatever the fuck they want with a sense of authority, and that's just that.

(01-03-2018 08:12 AM)zankhellendros Wrote:  Thoughts? Related Stories?

My first thought when reading the title is "how does one train for this?" How do you know if the person has a legit demon as opposed to some other, medically understood malady? How to you know when the person's cured? Even if this were a legitimate thing you could learn, it seems like it'd be 100% Hogwarts.

"No no. You're doing it wrong. It's not 'The power of Christ compels you!', it's 'The power of Christ compels you!' Try again!"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
05-03-2018, 01:41 PM
(05-03-2018 08:34 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I think they're pretty used to just saying whatever the fuck they want with a sense of authority, and that's just that.

I love how Catholicism uses big, intimidating words to feign authority. Granted, many words or phrases with Latin or Greek origins have been handed down through the ages - all the better for the façade of historical confirmation.

The Pope’s infallibility can be exercised in either the Extraordinary or the Ordinary Magisterium. Apparently the reason I don’t get the difference between the two is due to concupiscence, “the tendency to sin.”

A bad priest isn’t banned, he’s excommunicated. Extreme Unction apparently had too many people flustered, so they finally gave in and admitted it only means the Anointing of the Sick.

And of course, the waxy wafer is so much more than that, it’s the Holy Eucharist transformed by transubstantiation, which frankly I always thought was just the subway station beneath Stan’s house.

(Side note: I was reading my response above to my wife, who I could sense was paying only half attention. She thought I was reading RobbyPants and commented, "Oh my god this guy sounds like an overbearing pompous ass." Weeping )

For every legend told and retold, a bit of messy but significant reality is ignored.
David Quammen, The Song of the Dodo
05-03-2018, 01:53 PM
(04-03-2018 05:42 PM)Aractus Wrote:  opted for an exorcism. Obviously performed by Protestant clergy, so not Roman Catholic exorcism, and as far as I know they all felt the experience was worthwhile.

As with everything else in life there are always trade-offs and exceptions. I can easily see how certain people struggling with issues might obtain benefit (whether Catholic or Protestant) due to simple psychological suggestion. As with the Church itself, which obviously performs some good, how much is not?

For every legend told and retold, a bit of messy but significant reality is ignored.
David Quammen, The Song of the Dodo
05-03-2018, 09:36 PM
At the end of the day it's just a religious sacrament. There shouldn't really be any negatives to it. You should see how some people view the ritual of infant circumcision (example), despite the strong evidence showing its benefits (see the 2012 Task Force paper)!

My Blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-03-2018, 08:37 AM
(05-03-2018 09:36 PM)Aractus Wrote:  At the end of the day it's just a religious sacrament. There shouldn't really be any negatives to it.

No negatives? Demons don't exist, possession is a myth.

Quote:You should see how some people view the ritual of infant circumcision (example), despite the strong evidence showing its benefits (see the 2012 Task Force paper)!

There may be some health benefits, but the risks are unacceptable as is the fact that it's a human rights violation.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
06-03-2018, 12:16 PM
(05-03-2018 09:36 PM)Aractus Wrote:  At the end of the day it's just a religious sacrament. There shouldn't really be any negatives to it. You should see how some people view the ritual of infant circumcision (example), despite the strong evidence showing its benefits (see the 2012 Task Force paper)!

Many people have been killed during exorcism especially in Africa.
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
06-03-2018, 04:03 PM
(04-03-2018 05:42 PM)Aractus Wrote:  I would say the sacrament is no more unintelligible than Baptism, or the Eucharist.

It's not a sacrament. There are only 7 in the Catholic Church: Baptism, Communion, Confession, Confirmation, Marriage, Anointing of the Sick, and Holy Orders. (Some of these may have slightly different names today - it's been over 30 years since I was involved with the church.)

Fox News: Praying Preying on ignorance since 1996.
06-03-2018, 04:11 PM
Here is what the line should have been from the 1970s movie.

Priest, "THE POWER OF CRAP COMPELS YOU! THE POWER OF CRAP COMPELS YOU!"

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
06-03-2018, 08:07 PM
(06-03-2018 12:16 PM)adey67 Wrote:  Many people have been killed during exorcism especially in Africa.

Many people were killed in the Middle Ages as heretics too.

(06-03-2018 08:37 AM)Chas Wrote:  There may be some health benefits, but the risks are unacceptable as is the fact that it's a human rights violation.

Chas, you are not entitled to making up your own facts. The paper I linked to, literally the medical authority in America, states clearly that the benefits outweigh the risks. If you want to have an intelligible debate you have to at least accept the scientific evidence. And if you want to have a different opinion the burden of proof is on you.

(06-03-2018 04:03 PM)Impulse Wrote:  It's not a sacrament. There are only 7 in the Catholic Church: Baptism, Communion, Confession, Confirmation, Marriage, Anointing of the Sick, and Holy Orders. (Some of these may have slightly different names today - it's been over 30 years since I was involved with the church.)

I disagree. It is a sacrament (at least in Protestantism), but it's not practised by everyone. As for Catholicism, they recognise 7 sacraments as you've listed above, but also they practise exorcism in a VERY! different way to Protestants. And then there are several different ways it is practised across Protestant churches and denominations. At its core though it is a sacramental service.

My Blog
07-03-2018, 01:57 AM
(06-03-2018 08:07 PM)Aractus Wrote:  Chas, you are not entitled to making up your own facts. The paper I linked to, literally the medical authority in America, states clearly that the benefits outweigh the risks. If you want to have an intelligible debate you have to at least accept the scientific evidence. And if you want to have a different opinion the burden of proof is on you.

My human rights were violated because I never agreed to having a piece of my penis removed. I might have enjoyed having that extra piece, and now I'll never know. Is that good enough proof?
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post