Catholic Introduction

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2013, 02:01 AM
Catholic Introduction
Hi Everyone,
I just signed up here because I find theThinkingAtheist videos interesting and I'd enjoy some discussion about the concepts that people discuss here. I pay attention to other peoples' ideas because I know I'm not right about everything, but I do have some very strong opinions of my own.

Also, so that everyone knows, I do consider myself to be Roman Catholic. I know that most people here disagree with any Christian ideologies, so I'll be careful not to step on anyone's toes. If anyone feels that my presence on these forums is unnecessary or unwanted, please let me know. I really do only want to discuss my ideas and ask questions.

Once I get used to the forums around here I may post a bio. For now I'll just say, I'm Catholic, and have been since I was born. My family was never very religious. However, I choose to go to a Catholic high school and attend a weekly Bible study and youth group, as well as attend a weekly mass at my church, like most Catholics do.

Thanks for your support and understanding,

Chris
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2013, 02:29 AM
RE: Catholic Introduction
Welcome! I grew up in a Roman Catholic household as well, and even served time as an alterboy ( Big Grin )

You are fine coming here, the forum encourages it Smile
22-03-2013, 02:39 AM
Welcome to the hornets nest.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
22-03-2013, 02:58 AM (This post was last modified: 22-03-2013 03:11 AM by Bucky Ball.)
Yeah right. 50 % of Catholics cannot state what "transubstantiation" means. You ACTUALLY believe that bread and wine is "turned" into Jebus' body and blood ? Really ? No Really ? Seriously ? If you actually DID, you would be in church 24h a day, 7 days a week. It's a meaningless superstition from a pre-scientific age. "Substance" vs "accident" indeed. It's meaningless. I bet 99 % of Catholics don't REALLY buy that nonsense. And of they ACTUALLY think a JEW would ever even consider "drinking blood", they are seriously deluded, and know NOTHING about the (ancient)Jews/members of the "Way" cult, (Christians). Even touching blood was an abomination. And what about all that crap about papal infallibility ? The popes had mistresses and children and lovers etc etc for centuries. You have to be deluded beyond belief to think the church was anything but a force for evil for much of it's time. And before Rome grabbed (or tried to) power for Rome, the Patriarchs were EQUAL. I bet they never taught you that, or that Peter was probably not the first bishop of Rome, or that your cult was really started by Paul of Tarsus. You really practice Paulianity. Dodgy

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein (That's a JOKE, ya idiot)
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
22-03-2013, 03:21 AM
I'm sorry I offend you. I wrestled with the idea of transubstantiation for a while now. I come to the following conclusion.

The church states that the bread and wine actually become the body and blood of Jesus Christ. However, it's obvious that it is still bread and wine. I don't believe that the host(that's what the bread is called) actually becomes human flesh, however, I believe that bread can represent the body of Jesus Christ.

To clarify, I don't believe that the bread is only a symbol, because then I would not believe in transubstantiation. However, I agree that the notion that bread magically turning into flesh is crazy. Instead I believe that Jesus is represented in the host. I'm sure you find this illogical, but if you have any more questions feel free to PM me.

And also, there are certain church doctrines that I do not believe such as papal infallibility. I know that the church has done terrible things and that many popes were very problematic rulers (Thinking of the Medici anyone?). I do, however, believe that Cardinals, when they select a pope, are guided by a sense of intuition that is granted to them by my God. I guess you could call that a form of Transcendentalism. So when they select a pope, they are selecting someone who will also be guided by God.

Once again, I completely disagree with papal infallibility, but I don't think I need to follow every church doctrine to live my faith. I'm sorry if I have offended you in any way, and if you would like to continue to discuss with me I encourage you to PM me. But could you please not be so mean about it?
22-03-2013, 03:47 AM (This post was last modified: 22-03-2013 03:56 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(22-03-2013 03:21 AM)Chris7049 Wrote:  I'm sorry I offend you. I wrestled with the idea of transubstantiation for a while now. I come to the following conclusion.

The church states that the bread and wine actually become the body and blood of Jesus Christ. However, it's obvious that it is still bread and wine. I don't believe that the host(that's what the bread is called) actually becomes human flesh, however, I believe that bread can represent the body of Jesus Christ.

To clarify, I don't believe that the bread is only a symbol, because then I would not believe in transubstantiation. However, I agree that the notion that bread magically turning into flesh is crazy. Instead I believe that Jesus is represented in the host. I'm sure you find this illogical, but if you have any more questions feel free to PM me.

And also, there are certain church doctrines that I do not believe such as papal infallibility. I know that the church has done terrible things and that many popes were very problematic rulers (Thinking of the Medici anyone?). I do, however, believe that Cardinals, when they select a pope, are guided by a sense of intuition that is granted to them by my God. I guess you could call that a form of Transcendentalism. So when they select a pope, they are selecting someone who will also be guided by God.

Once again, I completely disagree with papal infallibility, but I don't think I need to follow every church doctrine to live my faith. I'm sorry if I have offended you in any way, and if you would like to continue to discuss with me I encourage you to PM me. But could you please not be so mean about it?

So your not really a Catholic. I get it. They call you people "cafeteria Catholics", as you people pick and choose what to accept, and what not to accept. I'm well aware what the church teaches, which is why I would never buy any of it, ever again. If you actually sat in the room and watched the cardinals politic, and act like human old men, I doubt you would buy it either. You have this "reverential distance". Well, I've seen it all, UP CLOSE. It's all a pile of dung, cooked up by human beings, to control other humans with human power, and justify it by appealing to "supernatural" nonsence. They know no more than you do, and are no better than anyone else. If they actually believed the spirit was functioning like they did originally, they would ELECT their bishops, and officials, and LET the spirit work. They actually don't trust any "spirit", so Rome appoints people who tow the party line, and discipline anyone who thinks for themself. ANd where are the women ? 1/2 of humanity is missing for their corridors of real power. I don't discuss by PM here. What did you think was going to happen here ? This is a atheist site. If you can't stand it, I'm sure Catholic Answers will be happy to have you go talk about their sentimental bs, say some prayers, and whether it's a sin to think bad thoughts, and eat meat on Fridays in Lent, or whatever their guilty neurotic consciouses are obsessed with today. If I went to Catholic Answers, I would be banned in about 5 minutes. At least we don't do that here. Weeping
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...Be+so+glad

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein (That's a JOKE, ya idiot)
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
22-03-2013, 04:02 AM
Ok... I'll keep that in mind... I actually made sure I never said I "was Catholic" because as you said, I don't agree with many statements that the church teaches.

The "cafeteria Catholic" idea is something I haven't heard before. Why do you think it is bad to only believe in certain things that the Catholic church teaches? To me, there are a lot of problems with any organized religion, but I don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater. There are certain things that the Catholic church teaches that I agree with, and I don't see why I have to throw those out because there are mistakes in their other ideas.

All in all I think that the church is incomplete, and that it is imperfect, because it is instituted by imperfect people. However, anyone who has heard of Vatican II will agree that over time, the Church has seemed to get better right?

In this way I feel like the church can even be compared to many scientific ideas. Science isn't something that will ever be "finished". There is always more to discover, prove, and disprove. In the same way, the Catholic church will continue to discover and disprove ideas.
22-03-2013, 04:46 AM
Welcome, Chris.

I for one, greatly appreciate your approach and you will find (with maybe one or two vehement exceptions) that most here will not find your presence "unnecessary or unwanted". We like presents.

The approach that usually gets a bit of a beating is when someone of faith tells us what and who we are (make presuppositions, teehee) or worse, screams bible verses at us.

Avoid that and who knows, maybe you'll get to be a moderator one day.

If I may contest one small point from the first post... "I'm Catholic, and have been since I was born".

I would argue that you were an atheist at birth (unless you popped out with a rosary in your fist) and had your parents lived somewhere else on this planet, who might be telling people that ...
"I'm a Muslim, and have been since I was born" or
"I'm a Buddhist, and have been since I was born".

Other than that... fill yer boots my son.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
22-03-2013, 04:57 AM
(22-03-2013 04:46 AM)DLJ Wrote:  If I may contest one small point from the first post... "I'm Catholic, and have been since I was born".

I would argue that you were an atheist at birth (unless you popped out with a rosary in your fist) and had your parents lived somewhere else on this planet, who might be telling people that ...
"I'm a Muslim, and have been since I was born" or
"I'm a Buddhist, and have been since I was born".

Other than that... fill yer boots my son.
I'm a guy. Big Grin

And I see your point here. However, I don't find a problem with it. At my school, I was taught that there are multiple ways to "reach God", which is basically their way of saying "finding truth". When I questioned Catholicism they said that there are many different paths to find truth. If I became a Buddhist, a Muslim, or an Atheist, I'm sure I would be looking for almost the same truth (which, for Catholics is "finding God") that I'm searching for now.

I'm certainly not one to throw the book at you. I don't like pushing religion on anyone with threats of hell or anything. I really just want to discuss ideas more than anything else. (Think Matteo Ricci, but not intent on conversion. -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matteo_Ricci )

Thanks for the welcome!
[+] 1 user Likes Chris7049's post
22-03-2013, 05:38 AM
Welcome, Chris.
You'll need a thick skin here, but there are christians on this board who have been here for a long time and are very much a part of this community.
Please be aware that there are quite a few people here who likely know catholicism and the bible a whole lot better than you (I am not one of them, I was only catholic until I was 10 ). If you want to last here, you likely will have to study your religion in depth again.
Contrary to what you may think, a lot of people became atheist because they did study their religion in depth and found it lacking substance, or found it outright cruel and illogical.
We do welcome believers here, but we also have totally free speech here, and that means that disgruntled ex-believers will likely have a go at you. Please be aware that this will happen, and don't take it personal.
Religion aside, you will find that most people here are very supportive on a personal level. There is a personal support section that is solely for that purpose, please do not use it to discuss religion but only to offer secular human support.
That said, I hope you will find your place among us, we are open to discussing any topic with any person, regardless of their beliefs. There are some brilliant minds here. There is also a lot of humor here, so I hope you will fit in and have a good time.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man