Catholic Introduction

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2013, 05:46 AM
RE: Catholic Introduction
That's great! The reason I came here was to test Catholicism. I know that they'll tell me anything at school. I want to see how my beliefs hold up when I'm not being as heavily supported. I'm looking for discussion, so that I can either confirm my faith or find faults in it. Either way, I really just want to learn more. And I'll remember not to assume that I'm the authority of Catholicism. After all, I am a high school student who only recently started paying attention to anything.

Thanks for the welcome, and I hope that I'll find a place here!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2013, 07:06 AM
(22-03-2013 05:46 AM)Chris7049 Wrote:  That's great! The reason I came here was to test Catholicism. I know that they'll tell me anything at school. I want to see how my beliefs hold up when I'm not being as heavily supported. I'm looking for discussion, so that I can either confirm my faith or find faults in it. Either way, I really just want to learn more. And I'll remember not to assume that I'm the authority of Catholicism. After all, I am a high school student who only recently started paying attention to anything.

Since you only believe part of what the Roman Catholic Church says, how do you justify calling yourself a Roman Catholic?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
22-03-2013, 08:00 AM
(22-03-2013 07:06 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-03-2013 05:46 AM)Chris7049 Wrote:  That's great! The reason I came here was to test Catholicism. I know that they'll tell me anything at school. I want to see how my beliefs hold up when I'm not being as heavily supported. I'm looking for discussion, so that I can either confirm my faith or find faults in it. Either way, I really just want to learn more. And I'll remember not to assume that I'm the authority of Catholicism. After all, I am a high school student who only recently started paying attention to anything.

Since you only believe part of what the Roman Catholic Church says, how do you justify calling yourself a Roman Catholic?

Easy, Chas. He's a teen who perused youtube and found himself wanting to learn more... and to explore his faith... and that's a good thing.
Hey, we have a teen section here too, you might feel more comfortable addressing things with them rather than us old fogies...

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
22-03-2013, 08:06 AM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2013 01:18 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(22-03-2013 04:02 AM)Chris7049 Wrote:  Ok... I'll keep that in mind... I actually made sure I never said I "was Catholic" because as you said, I don't agree with many statements that the church teaches.

The "cafeteria Catholic" idea is something I haven't heard before. Why do you think it is bad to only believe in certain things that the Catholic church teaches? To me, there are a lot of problems with any organized religion, but I don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater. There are certain things that the Catholic church teaches that I agree with, and I don't see why I have to throw those out because there are mistakes in their other ideas.

All in all I think that the church is incomplete, and that it is imperfect, because it is instituted by imperfect people. However, anyone who has heard of Vatican II will agree that over time, the Church has seemed to get better right?

In this way I feel like the church can even be compared to many scientific ideas. Science isn't something that will ever be "finished". There is always more to discover, prove, and disprove. In the same way, the Catholic church will continue to discover and disprove ideas.

Again, I see you are not a Catholic. The Catholic Church believes they have been given "the deposit of faith" by Jebus, and they already possess the "magisterial truth", THE WHOLE TRUTH. So you can call yourself whatever you like. Catholic, Martian, or anything you like. The Catholic Church does not afford you the freedom you, at this point think you have. The fact that you have never heard "cafeteria Catholic" speaks volumes about your level of knowledge of your faith. Have fun.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
22-03-2013, 08:25 AM
Well, looks like you got some blood flowing. Dom's right though. Don't expect to say something about your faith and not have it challenged. Don't take that to mean that we don't want you here. It's just how a skeptic responds to claims that he finds dubious and/or false. Oh and don't worry about stepping on toes. So long as you don't make fallacies, stupid claims and generalizations it'll all be good. ( atheist eat babies, have no morals, and secretly organize at there secret temple to worship Satan and sacrifice young virgins, that sorta thing).

Welcome to this little corner of the world.

Just an outsider looking inn.
22-03-2013, 08:45 AM
(22-03-2013 08:25 AM)Foxcanine1 Wrote:  ... fallacies, ... atheist eat babies,

Shit! What? Have the rules changed? I didn't get the email.

And I have a fresh kill and everything!

Weeping

22-03-2013, 09:01 AM
(22-03-2013 08:45 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(22-03-2013 08:25 AM)Foxcanine1 Wrote:  ... fallacies, ... atheist eat babies,

Shit! What? Have the rules changed? I didn't get the email.

And I have a fresh kill and everything!

Weeping
Dude....I have a baby in the slow cooker as we speak! WTF?? I started it before I heard about the rule change, so I still get to eat it, right?

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
22-03-2013, 09:10 AM
[Image: Roastbeef_with_yorkshire_puddings.jpg] Wait, don't tell me that's not baby....
22-03-2013, 10:03 AM

Thumbsup good for you! Ask a lot of questions and find the truth.
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
22-03-2013, 10:08 AM
Howdy!

[Image: opforum1.png]