Catholic Introduction

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2013, 11:54 AM
RE: Catholic Introduction
Fucking Bucky... how many times we gotta tell you to keep that shit offa the intro threads? Now go sit in the corner. Angry

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
22-03-2013, 01:22 PM
(22-03-2013 08:06 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Again, I see you are not a Catholic. The Catholic Church beoieves they have been given "the deposit of faith" by Jebus, and they already possess the "magisterial truth", THE WHOLE TRUTH. So you can call yourself whatever you like. Catholic, Martian, or anything you like. The Catholic Church does not afford you the freedom you, at this point think you have. The fact that you have never heard "cafeteria Catholic" speaks volumes about your level of knowledge of your faith. Have fun.
Ok. So then I guess I shouldn't consider myself a Catholic. Does that make me agnostic? I know that I have a lot to learn about Catholicism, so I guess I shouldn't claim faith before I understand it. My mistake.
Find all posts by this user
22-03-2013, 01:38 PM
(22-03-2013 09:01 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(22-03-2013 08:45 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Shit! What? Have the rules changed? I didn't get the email.

And I have a fresh kill and everything!

Weeping
Dude....I have a baby in the slow cooker as we speak! WTF?? I started it before I heard about the rule change, so I still get to eat it, right?
Oh, sorry guys. It looks like I was using a illegitimate source. According to the official atheist diet commission babies are still on the menu. It also looks like I was wrong about the virgin sacrifice as well. The atheist immorality commission is saying that the sacrifices are back on for those who can attend. I apologize for the scare.

Just an outsider looking inn.
[+] 2 users Like Foxcanine1's post
22-03-2013, 01:58 PM
(22-03-2013 01:22 PM)Chris7049 Wrote:  
(22-03-2013 08:06 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Again, I see you are not a Catholic. The Catholic Church beoieves they have been given "the deposit of faith" by Jebus, and they already possess the "magisterial truth", THE WHOLE TRUTH. So you can call yourself whatever you like. Catholic, Martian, or anything you like. The Catholic Church does not afford you the freedom you, at this point think you have. The fact that you have never heard "cafeteria Catholic" speaks volumes about your level of knowledge of your faith. Have fun.
Ok. So then I guess I shouldn't consider myself a Catholic. Does that make me agnostic? I know that I have a lot to learn about Catholicism, so I guess I shouldn't claim faith before I understand it. My mistake.
Hey Chris, welcome to the forums! First off, you gotta stop apologizing so much, the bastards we are around here won't stand for it. Second, I congratulate you for having what seems to be an open, truth seeking mind. I didn't have one for a long time, and only recently have had the gumption to really look into what it is I believe and why I believe it. Trust me, it feels good to have a clear conscience on this religion stuff.

Don't let the blowhards get to you, ask some good honest questions and you should get some good honest answers. Yes
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
22-03-2013, 02:59 PM
We apologize for Bucky. He's been really stressed out dealing with a couple of close-minded and dim-witted Christians. One of them wouldn't have been so bad, except he came on here with totally the wrong attitude to start and made enemies of half the forum (me not least among them) and is unwilling to reconcile. The other's just an idiot.

You're off to a good start though. Don't be so apologetic. You're here to learn. Just don't switch to preaching mode on us...

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 3 users Like Phaedrus's post
22-03-2013, 03:20 PM
Catholics at least real ones are supposed to believe everything the church teaches is 100% infallible. Unfortunately that doesn't hold up against rational thought.

The more you learn the more you know and the more you begin to see its all so convoluted with a dash of bat-shit crazy.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

22-03-2013, 03:51 PM
Chris,

Realistically, lots of people are Catholics but don't accept what the church teaches about everything. I'll leave the quality of your Catholicism between you and your priests.

I'm kind of new here myself, so I guess I'm not exactly on the welcoming committee just yet, but I appreciate your approach, as it will help me deal with respectful conversations with opposing viewpoints on this subject. I haven't had any practice, so if I appear disrespectful at any point, please don't take it too personally, and feel free to point it out to me.

My problems with Catholicism (and Christianity in general) are too numerous to mention, but the bottom line is this: there is much in the Bible that is acknowledged by Catholics to be mythology and not history. Adam and Eve, the Great Flood, etc. By what logic do you (assuming you do) dismiss those stories as historically untrue, yet you embrace CLEARLY made up stuff like the Immaculate Conception (of Mary, not Jesus) and the (awfully big) Assumption of Mary as true? I've grown to realize that the evidence of Jesus' resurrection is scant at best. The evidence of the immaculate conception and the assumption of Mary doesn't even rise to the level of scant.

If you accept those doctrines, on what grounds? If you reject them, then I think you really need to ask why you consider yourself Catholic in the first place.
[+] 5 users Like TwoCultSurvivor's post
26-03-2013, 01:41 PM
Welcome.

I do hope you have thick skin.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
26-03-2013, 01:54 PM
Ex-Catholic here...Catholic school and all.
Welcome to TTA.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
26-03-2013, 03:25 PM
I was born and raised catholic also. Hell, my kids go to a catholic school. (way better than public me thinks) As I got older, I thought that Catholicism was a bit extrme, and decided to go to a diffrent church. It was more evangelical/protestant/foursquare. I like their approach waaay better. And yes, go ahead....make fun whatever, I am a Christian on here. But, I have agnostic thoughts, and athiests thoughts all the time. I do not claim to be right, and I never push anybody to beleive what I do. I stumbled across this website on accident when searching, and liked the forum. I question meaning of existance, and try to not let it depress me lol.
I can't stand Christian trolling. They need to be smited.

“You just go where your high-top sneakers sneak, and don't forget to use your head.”
[+] 1 user Likes CaffinatedPuppy's post