Catholic Ritual

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-11-2013, 11:59 AM
Catholic Ritual
I was reminiscing the other day and I remember this catholic festival from my childhood.

It was in the spring sometime, and the neighborhood would erect altars every other block or so. People would come out and put out tables, table cloths, flowers and carpets and whatnot.

Then Sunday morning the priest would walk down the road with an entourage and stop at every altar and read stuff and bless the neighborhood and walk on to the next altar.

I just can't remember what this was called. Huh

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-11-2013, 12:50 PM
RE: Catholic Ritual
Silly? Blush

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
26-11-2013, 01:23 PM
(26-11-2013 12:50 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Silly? Blush

More like solemn and self-important.

Actually I experience the memory as pleasant, it was spring and time to break out the bicycle. I loved my bike!

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
26-11-2013, 01:25 PM
Immaculate conception?

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

26-11-2013, 01:27 PM
(26-11-2013 01:23 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(26-11-2013 12:50 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Silly? Blush

More like solemn and self-important.

Actually I experience the memory as pleasant, it was spring and time to break out the bicycle. I loved my bike!

Dom,
I think evenheathen is suggesting that the ritual was called "silly"! But, to answer your question, with any one of a myriad saints or martyrs to commemorate or remember, the festival could have been called anything. Perhaps it would help if you told us where your childhood was spent?

Doc
26-11-2013, 01:36 PM
(26-11-2013 01:27 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(26-11-2013 01:23 PM)Dom Wrote:  More like solemn and self-important.

Dom,
I think evenheathen is suggesting that the ritual was called "silly"! But, to answer your question, with any one of a myriad saints or martyrs to commemorate or remember, the festival could have been called anything. Perhaps it would help if you told us where your childhood was spent?

Doc

Bavaria. Drinking Beverage

26-11-2013, 01:42 PM
(26-11-2013 11:59 AM)Dom Wrote:  I was reminiscing the other day and I remember this catholic festival from my childhood.

It was in the spring sometime, and the neighborhood would erect altars every other block or so. People would come out and put out tables, table cloths, flowers and carpets and whatnot.

Then Sunday morning the priest would walk down the road with an entourage and stop at every altar and read stuff and bless the neighborhood and walk on to the next altar.

I just can't remember what this was called. Huh
I wish I could help, but even though I grew up Catholic, we didn't have any festival like that.

But, if you need a name, how about "The Priester Parade"? Wink

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
26-11-2013, 01:53 PM (This post was last modified: 26-11-2013 01:58 PM by kim.)
It has to be some kind of feast day - I was going to say Corpus Christi which falls on a Thursday 60 days after Easter. It Kind of sounds like what you describe, Dom... except I think it usually has something to do with carrying a statue of mary through the village ... or some kind of church symbol. Here are some Bavarian holidays, maybe one will spark a memory.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
26-11-2013, 02:08 PM (This post was last modified: 26-11-2013 02:13 PM by Anjele.)
(26-11-2013 01:53 PM)kim Wrote:  It has to be some kind of feast day - I was going to say Corpus Christi which falls on a Thursday 60 days after Easter. It Kind of sounds like what you describe, Dom... except I think it usually has something to do with carrying a statue of mary through the village ... or some kind of church symbol. Here are some Bavarian holidays, maybe one will spark a memory.

Glad you could put a name to that. In the town where I grew up they did the Corpus Christi procession in about the timeframe you mention. There was a small chapel a few blocks from the Basilica and the walk meandered through a residential area of town. The chapel sat at the edge of town in a pretty little area. I seem to remember that kids were a big part of it, I don't recall that they stopped at yards along the way but they may have.

http://www.dyersvillecommercial.com/gall...0f31a.html

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
26-11-2013, 02:15 PM
It must have been this one:

Quote:20.05.2013 Whit Monday
(Greek: Pentecost = "the fiftieth [day]“) is celebrated on the fiftieth day after Easter. Whitsun, which is also known as the “birthday of the church”, is marked by very special religious services and celebrations. It also denotes the end of the Easter period. At Whitsun the church remembers the day when following Christ’s ascension into heaven, the Holy Ghost descended to Christ’s disciples. From this day forward the disciples began to teach about Jesus. In many towns and villages throughout Bavaria Whit Monday is a day marked by magnificent horse backed processions e.g. in Bad Kötzting, Sankt Englmar, Ochsenfurt and Erlangen. (09.06.2014)

Just because of the timing. And the processions.