Catholic Rosary Service

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2014, 06:17 AM
RE: Catholic Rosary Service
The "rosary" is sort of interesting, I think. I mean, look at what's actually going on. They keep repeating this set of memorized words, but no one is actually thinking about what they are actually saying, (and in fact they are encouraged to actually think about "other" things ... the "mysteries".) So it's like chanting "ommmm". I suppose it does lower their blood pressure and increase circulating beta-endorphins, like all that sort of stuff does. I prefer my own version of the "Hail Mary" however, (for which I've been told I'm possessed).

Hail Mary full of grace,
May someone hot sit on your face.
Amen.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
28-03-2014, 06:27 AM
(28-03-2014 02:00 AM)Archipater Wrote:  I thought I would just conclude with what happened tonight:

So I went to the thing, and honestly was not prepared for how different things feel now. It has been a year since I dropped the religion and became an atheist, and it is almost like a nightmare sitting through that stuff, even though I used to do it all the time back in Catholic school. Crazy how a change in perspective can really hit you.

I just sat there all awkwardly with this huge pit in my stomach. One minute everyone is being normal, talking to each other and sharing memories (the actual IMPORTANT stuff), next just mindless ignorant chanting. I felt frustrated and sick through the whole thing. I know they mean well, but it is scary to see such ignorance and know how it indirectly fuels the evil that is religion in this world.

Definitely will not be going to another one of these any time soon. I am just sad that my parents and I had to have an argument over something that shouldn't even warrant one in the first place. They don't understand why it bothers me so much. I mean I guess I could have just been quiet about it, continuing through my whole life just living a lie, but I deserve some respect too, right? I kept explaining to them that it's not like I am asking for much. I just didn't want to attend one part of the thing because I had a feeling it would make me uncomfortable. And they think that's arrogant and disrespectful to the family. And that I am imposing my beliefs on them, even though that's not even remotely true. If that was the case, then I would be telling them to tear down all the religious parts of the ceremony and make it non-religious.

I feel bad, but I didn't really do anything wrong? I guess I am just coming here for validation, honestly. I feel terrible right now. It sucks doing this, but change has to start somewhere, right?

Good for you for being supportive to you parents at a time like this. Bad for them to have made you feel uncomfortable. I think you did the right thing and would have done the same if pushed.

FWIW I did something similar. My mom asked me to play in the choir for my grandmother's funeral. I am still in the closet so she does not know. I have not actively participate in mass in years, which she does know. Of cource I did as my mom asked, but did not participate actively in anything other than the music.
16-05-2014, 11:28 AM
I was raised Roman Catholic. Pretty hardcore. Catholic school, mass every week, attendance on holy days but even as a child I had major doubts and by the time I was about 10 or 11 I was quite incredulous (rwgarding the veracityof the bible, miracles, godliness of Jesus) but being young and impressionable, I went along with it mostly out of appeasement to my elders/parents or some hope that one day it would all be revealed to me in some beatific moment. This of course never happened even though I entertained thoughts of being a diocesan priest or one in one of the orders. Though, I discovered from quite an early age, that females can be quite beautiful creatures and I wanted to explore every part of their body. I was even a eucharistic minister my freshman year of college, which, is where, ironically I started to really lose faith, actually, the epiphany ironically came as I looked up at the resurrected Christ as we were about to receive communion. I dabbled in agnosticism and Buddhism, and almost atheism, though I consider myself a 50/50 split on the agnostic/atheist continuum, and in that regard, if their is superior intelligence, I doubt it has any regard for the upright walking, barely sentient simian creatures on some planet that harbors carbon-based life forms among potentially hundreds of millions of others...All that being said, I still say the rosary as a meditation and use incense that I buy from Catholic monestaries. So, I guess, probably like others, and I hace heard gentile Europeans and American Jews say that they "are culturally Christian/Jewish but secular/humanist/atheist" intellectually and internally. Thoughts?
16-05-2014, 11:32 AM
I was raised Roman Catholic. Pretty hardcore. Catholic school, mass every week, attendance on holy days but even as a child I had major doubts and by the time I was about 10 or 11 I was quite incredulous (regarding the veracity of the miracles, godliness of Jesus) but being young and impressionable, I went along with it mostly out of appeasement to my elders/parents or some hope that one day it would all be revealed to me in some beatific moment. This of course never happened even though I entertained thoughts of being a diocesan priest or one in one of the orders. Though, I discovered from quite an early age, that females can be quite beautiful creatures and I wanted to explore every part of their body. I was even a eucharistic minister my freshman year of college, which, is where, ironically I started to really lose faith, actually, the epiphany ironically came as I looked up at the resurrected Christ as we were about to receive communion. I dabbled in agnosticism and Buddhism, and almost atheism, though I consider myself a 50/50 split on the agnostic/atheist continuum, and in that regard, if their is superior intelligence, I doubt it has any regard for the upright walking, barely sentient simian creatures on some planet that harbors carbon-based life forms among potentially hundreds of millions of others...All that being said, I still say the rosary as a meditation and use incense that I buy from Catholic monestaries. So, I guess, probably like others, and I hace heard gentile Europeans and American Jews say that they "are culturally Christian/Jewish but secular/humanist/atheist" intellectually and internally. Thoughts?
16-05-2014, 11:36 AM
(16-05-2014 11:28 AM)ggiovedi Wrote:  ...
Thoughts?

Not many thoughts happening here but welcome to the forum.

Actually one thought (on second thoughts)... a potential catholic priest favouring girls? That's a bit weird, don't you think?

Smile

16-05-2014, 11:45 AM
(16-05-2014 11:36 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(16-05-2014 11:28 AM)ggiovedi Wrote:  ...
Thoughts?

Not many thoughts happening here but welcome to the forum.

Actually one thought (on second thoughts)... a potential catholic priest favouring girls? That's a bit weird, don't you think?

Smile

No not really. I have a great uncle that is a priest and he got "relocated" after some miscounduct with adult women when he was a university professor. We lost all contact with him after the relocation. it was consentual relationships and the girls were over 18, but since they were students and he was a teacher they made an issues of it 20+ years after the fact.

Many priest have "off the record" relationships with women, often for long periods of time.
16-05-2014, 11:50 AM
I was raised as a catholic and I can tell you this Rosary meetings are boring as hell. The catholic church should be more original . They copied this rosary mantra crap from hindus and buddhists. I never believe in the catholic religion horseshit.
16-05-2014, 11:53 AM
(16-05-2014 11:45 AM)wazzel Wrote:  
(16-05-2014 11:36 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Not many thoughts happening here but welcome to the forum.

Smile

No not really. I have a great uncle that is a priest and he got "relocated" after some miscounduct with adult women when he was a university professor. We lost all contact with him after the relocation. it was consentual relationships and the girls were over 18, but since they were students and he was a teacher they made an issues of it 20+ years after the fact.

Many priest have "off the record" relationships with women, often for long periods of time.

That's very true. Most priests are either pedophiles or hipocrites that have sex with women.
16-05-2014, 11:59 AM
(16-05-2014 11:53 AM)Leo Wrote:  
(16-05-2014 11:45 AM)wazzel Wrote:  No not really. I have a great uncle that is a priest and he got "relocated" after some miscounduct with adult women when he was a university professor. We lost all contact with him after the relocation. it was consentual relationships and the girls were over 18, but since they were students and he was a teacher they made an issues of it 20+ years after the fact.

That's very true. Most priests are either pedophiles or hipocrites that have sex with women.

Your statement is not backed up with data. Records show that the rate of child abuse amoung priest is not greater that the rest of the population. Becasue of their position and how the church handled it it looks worse than what it is in reality. From a risk standpoint kids are much more likely to be sexually abused but a close family member than anything else. Second is school teacher. Ministers and priest fall below both of these with catholic priest haveing a lower risk than protestant ministers. Not defending by any means, just giving some points for information.
16-05-2014, 01:35 PM
(16-05-2014 11:28 AM)ggiovedi Wrote:  I hace heard gentile Europeans and American Jews say that they "are culturally Christian/Jewish but secular/humanist/atheist" intellectually and internally. Thoughts?

That's why things remain fucked-up. Those people are not really atheists, and certainly do not add to the intellectual realm that they believe they contribute to. They probably make good worker bees.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool