Catholic aunt changes her views

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-12-2013, 08:50 PM (This post was last modified: 28-12-2013 10:41 AM by Anjele.)
Catholic aunt changes her views
My aunt (who is around 70) signed up on Facebook and sent me a friend request. I hesitated because of the atheist posts I make there as well as some other things. She is a lifelong Catholic and was a big support to me when I went through my first couple years dealing with breast cancer. The last thing I wanted to do was hurt or upset her.

So, I asked my cousin (her daughter) what her mom would think of my atheism and explained that I didn't want to cause her mother any upset. This cousin is lesbian and is married to her wife. Family ceremony and all was had with two brides and my aunt and uncle in attendance.

My cousin's response to my question was that she thought the whole lesbian daughter thing caused her mother to cast aside all religious judgments. How freaking cool is that? My aunt loved her daughter more than her religious doctrine. Gives me hope that more people will learn to accept people for who they are. Smile

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 19 users Like Anjele's post
27-12-2013, 08:51 PM
RE: Catholic aunt changes her views
VERY cool.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
28-12-2013, 09:17 AM
My mom is kinda the same way. Once her son was gay, she took a Long hard look at the reasons for rejecting him before she did so. What she discovered was that we reasons for rejecting him were dumb! So she didn't!

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
28-12-2013, 10:39 AM
Rock on aunt Anjele!! My mom would never change.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
28-12-2013, 10:42 AM
That's great! Happy for you! *hugs*

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
28-12-2013, 12:12 PM
It's easy to hate strangers, much harder to hate people we know. Every time an atheist comes out to friends and family, it (hopefully) chips away at the foundation of hatred for our group (? I don't do groups well so I use this term loosely).

Glad to hear that even 70 year old hearts can change.
[+] 1 user Likes Regular_Joe's post
28-12-2013, 12:25 PM
Good for her!

“The only reason people do not know much is because they do not care to know. They are incurious. Incuriousity is the oddest and most foolish failing there is.” -Stephen Fry
[+] 1 user Likes Fat Mac's post
28-12-2013, 12:27 PM
(27-12-2013 08:50 PM)Anjele Wrote:  My aunt (who is around 70) signed up on Facebook and sent me a friend request. I hesitated because of the atheist posts I make there as well as some other things. She is a lifelong Catholic and was a big support to me when I went through my first couple years dealing with breast cancer. The last thing I wanted to do was hurt or upset her.

So, I asked my cousin (her daughter) what her mom would think of my atheism and explained that I didn't want to cause her mother any upset. This cousin is lesbian and is married to her wife. Family ceremony and all was had with two brides and my aunt and uncle in attendance.

My cousin's response to my question was that she thought the whole lesbian daughter thing caused her mother to cast aside all religious judgments. How freaking cool is that? My aunt loved her daughter more than her religious doctrine. Gives me hope that more people will learn to accept people for who they are. Smile

Epic! Stellar! Absolutely wonderful.
See? Sometimes faith in human beings is just sweetly restored.

Why do people look OUTside of people for faith? Faith in one another is tangible, helpful and can make life sweet. No deity required for that.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.