Catholic church, evolution, and lies

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2017, 06:03 PM
RE: Catholic church, evolution, and lies
(09-03-2017 11:28 AM)Impulse Wrote:  So I don't see how evolution and the Adam and Eve story can possibly coexist.

This is, I suspect, just one of the many reasons why the Catholic Church has never been real big on having it's congregants actually read the Bible.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Dr H's post
10-03-2017, 06:07 PM
(09-03-2017 03:39 PM)kim Wrote:  I'm probably not one to ask. Discussing religion, for me is like discussing Star Trek.

The real one ... not any of that new crap. Angry

By that, I'm going to guess that you meant "the real Star Trek" and not "the real religion".

Although I guess to some people it could amount to the same thing. Yes

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
10-03-2017, 06:41 PM
(10-03-2017 06:03 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(09-03-2017 11:28 AM)Impulse Wrote:  So I don't see how evolution and the Adam and Eve story can possibly coexist.

This is, I suspect, just one of the many reasons why the Catholic Church has never been real big on having it's congregants actually read the Bible.

When I attended Catholic schools, private Bible reading was discouraged on the grounds that we were too young to understand it. Only selected passages were recommended for private study. I had to start studying the Bible in class in 6th grade, but a bowdlerized edition of the St. Jerome Bible was used; i.e., it lacked contradictory verses and most of the "juicy" bits.
[+] 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post
10-03-2017, 07:34 PM
We had a catechism.

I hear the pope wants to allow priests to get married now.

Take some of the burden off those altar boys....

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 5 users Like Dom's post
10-03-2017, 07:35 PM
Has there ever been a case of a high ranking catholic official, such as a cardinal, deconverting on his deathbed? Or at least admitting that his whole career was bullshit?

Because that would be hilarious.

Though I wouldn't put it past the church to cover something like that up.
10-03-2017, 07:45 PM
(10-03-2017 07:35 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  Has there ever been a case of a high ranking catholic official, such as a cardinal, deconverting on his deathbed? Or at least admitting that his whole career was bullshit?

I doubt it. All the lies and denial seem to only flow in one direction. And who is that man going to admit it to, there on his deathbed? A co-religionist? The buck stops right there!
11-03-2017, 07:28 AM
When religionists say they accept the theory of evolution, they invariably follow this by saying it was, of course, guided by God's hand.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
11-03-2017, 08:19 AM
(10-03-2017 07:35 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  Has there ever been a case of a high ranking catholic official, such as a cardinal, deconverting on his deathbed? Or at least admitting that his whole career was bullshit?

There is a disputed quote by Pope Leo X (December 1475 – December 1521) that says either, "It has served us well, this myth of Christ" or "How well we know what a profitable superstition this fable of Christ has been for us."

Any original source documentation on these quotes are deep within the Vatican archives and they're probably not in a hurry to allow scholarship to verify the quote.

Source: The Criminal History of the Papacy
[+] 3 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
11-03-2017, 10:28 AM
(11-03-2017 08:19 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  

There is a disputed quote by Pope Leo X (December 1475 – December 1521) that says either, "It has served us well, this myth of Christ" or "How well we know what a profitable superstition this fable of Christ has been for us."

Any original source documentation on these quotes are deep within the Vatican archives and they're probably not in a hurry to allow scholarship to verify the quote.

Source: The Criminal History of the Papacy

Wowsers, that is some interesting reading! Laugh out load I should show this around to some Catholics.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
11-03-2017, 10:39 AM
(10-03-2017 06:41 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  When I attended Catholic schools, private Bible reading was discouraged on the grounds that we were too young to understand it. Only selected passages were recommended for private study. I had to start studying the Bible in class in 6th grade, but a bowdlerized edition of the St. Jerome Bible was used; i.e., it lacked contradictory verses and most of the "juicy" bits.
I wonder about the same thing in Catholic seminaries. I don't see how priests in training can read the full Bible and not see it for what it is with all the atrocities and contradictions.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post