Catholic priests

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-07-2014, 03:46 AM
RE: Catholic priests
(17-07-2014 06:54 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(17-07-2014 04:14 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Pedophilia, when acted upon, is rape. Rape is not sex and therefore it is not necessarily about hetero- vs. homosexuality. Rape is about power and domination with sexual gratification as a bonus. People with that kind of psychotic need for power don't necessarily care about who they are raping. Kids are easily dominated and easily scared into keeping quiet. That's why many of these perverts rape kids instead of adults. Many don't care whether they dominate males or females necessarily and for the ones that do, but only have opportunity with their non-preferred gender, many will take what they can get. For that reason, it's logical that opportunity is a factor with Catholic priests in terms of explaining why the victims tend to be boys.

I do agree that opportunity and inability for boys to become pregnant don't cause a priest to become a pedophile. I tend to believe that most Catholic priest pedophiles went into the priesthood specifically for that reason. It may have been specifically to rape children in an environment where it was easy and they could get away with it or it may have been a recognition of a problem they couldn't control and they were hoping turning to religion would help, but it didn't. Either way, they were likely pedophiles before entering the priesthood.

Yep, from what little I learned about pedophiles in a psychology class was that it's more about the thrill of sexually violating someone prepubescent that does not have a real ability to give consent. I've done a bit of research on the subject as well, homosexuality doesn't factor in at all. Many straight men who are pedophiles will go after boys or girls.

OK, so they do not need to be gay, to molest kids. But I don't think that anyone can say that they became pedophiles just because it is available to them. Priests see women every day. Women come to church, women are nuns, priest go out in the city, there are women in the cities... So it is not like all they ever see are just young boys, this argument is therefore stupid.

As I said, if availability can turn you into a pedophile, then all the male kindergarten teachers have a great potential to become pedophiles. And all pediatricians, elementary school teachers, coaches, anyone working with kids. You either are a pedophile or not.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
18-07-2014, 05:52 AM
(14-07-2014 07:46 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Just popping my head here for one tiny post...

(14-07-2014 09:14 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Because of the unnatural celibacy crap. Humans aren't supposed to be celibate.

Sex is one of the 4 basic functions that humans need for survival. The other 3 are: food, water, and oxygen.

I suspect that some asexuals would disagree with your assessment, KC.
Aaand I'm outta here. Don't want to get too deraily.

But they're a tiny minority, so fuck 'em.

Oh, wait. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
18-07-2014, 07:35 AM
Re: RE: Catholic priests
(17-07-2014 08:19 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  So there's a rumor Francis is considering changing the celibacy rule .
http://www.smh.com.au/national/pope-lean...zt6rq.html
He IS the Anti-Christ. That I know for sure now. Tongue

I think that's what the super pope is actually causing. They're very crafty at merging the two into one being.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
18-07-2014, 09:51 AM
(18-07-2014 03:46 AM)Filox Wrote:  OK, so they do not need to be gay, to molest kids. But I don't think that anyone can say that they became pedophiles just because it is available to them. Priests see women every day. Women come to church, women are nuns, priest go out in the city, there are women in the cities... So it is not like all they ever see are just young boys, this argument is therefore stupid.

As I said, if availability can turn you into a pedophile, then all the male kindergarten teachers have a great potential to become pedophiles. And all pediatricians, elementary school teachers, coaches, anyone working with kids. You either are a pedophile or not.
The point about opportunity isn't that it turns someone into a pedophile. The point is many pedophiles may never act upon their urges due to lack of opportunity and fear of getting caught. When opportunity is made significantly higher for them and includes reduced likelihood of getting caught compared with other circumstances, they would be more likely to act upon those urges.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
18-07-2014, 09:56 AM
(14-07-2014 09:07 AM)Dom Wrote:  There must be some explanation for this happening specifically in the catholic church.
By the way, this is an interesting aspect to your question. I can't think of any reason why Protestant ministers wouldn't be guilty of the same thing. I would think pedophiles who were raised as a Protestant might become a minister and not a priest if they had such an inclination. So I wonder if this is actually not happening with ministers or is it that they aren't being caught.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
18-07-2014, 10:37 AM (This post was last modified: 18-07-2014 10:41 AM by Revenant77x.)
(18-07-2014 09:56 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(14-07-2014 09:07 AM)Dom Wrote:  There must be some explanation for this happening specifically in the catholic church.
By the way, this is an interesting aspect to your question. I can't think of any reason why Protestant ministers wouldn't be guilty of the same thing. I would think pedophiles who were raised as a Protestant might become a minister and not a priest if they had such an inclination. So I wonder if this is actually not happening with ministers or is it that they aren't being caught.

It is happening outside the catholic church it just doesn't get as much press.

http://wonkette.com/554158/author-of-exc...edly-again

http://blogs.denverpost.com/hark/2010/05...clergy/39/

Quote:Insurance companies, child advocacy groups and religion scholars say there is no evidence that Catholic clergy are more likely to be involved in sexual misconduct than other clergy or professionals. Yet ongoing civil litigation of decades-old cases against a church with deep pockets keeps the Catholic Church in the headlines.

Be skeptical people.

http://www.bilerico.com/2010/04/the_othe...ic_cle.php

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
18-07-2014, 11:45 AM
Ah, that makes more sense.

20-07-2014, 03:26 AM
(18-07-2014 09:51 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(18-07-2014 03:46 AM)Filox Wrote:  OK, so they do not need to be gay, to molest kids. But I don't think that anyone can say that they became pedophiles just because it is available to them. Priests see women every day. Women come to church, women are nuns, priest go out in the city, there are women in the cities... So it is not like all they ever see are just young boys, this argument is therefore stupid.

The point about opportunity isn't that it turns someone into a pedophile. The point is many pedophiles may never act upon their urges due to lack of opportunity and fear of getting caught. When opportunity is made significantly higher for them and includes reduced likelihood of getting caught compared with other circumstances, they would be more likely to act upon those urges.

Oh yes, you do have a point there.

I was thinking about something else, we might not have considered it before. Do you suppose that there are priest who felt the urges before they became priests, so they thought that by becoming one, they could pray away their urges? And so they prayed and prayed, but eventually, as you said, opportunity did it's course...

Somewhat good intentions made everything worse.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
21-07-2014, 09:26 AM
(17-07-2014 07:43 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(14-07-2014 09:14 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Because of the unnatural celibacy crap. Humans aren't supposed to be celibate.

Sex is one of the 4 basic functions that humans need for survival. The other 3 are: food, water, and oxygen.

Why little boys, though?

Hmmm. I would say it has something to with humans tendency to go to extremes when they are denied something they want. When they finally find an outlet, the most extreme and often taboo solution happens.
Your basic Calvinistic beliefs seem to flow from Yahweh's extreme teaching, as literally held by some. I wonder how you reconcile your "saved" status, relevant to the horrendous acts carried out by some . Paedophiles are a good example of this.

I see your thoughts on the "tendency to go to extremes" as correct. Some people need satiation of their feelings more and more, leading to massive social problems in many areas.

Do what now?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
21-07-2014, 09:50 AM
(20-07-2014 03:26 AM)Filox Wrote:  I was thinking about something else, we might not have considered it before. Do you suppose that there are priest who felt the urges before they became priests, so they thought that by becoming one, they could pray away their urges? And so they prayed and prayed, but eventually, as you said, opportunity did it's course...

Somewhat good intentions made everything worse.
Yes, I not only think is possible, but even probable for at least some of them. I had said something similar in the last paragraph of this post.

[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post