Catholic sex abuse crisis, 10 years later

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-02-2013, 12:41 AM
RE: Catholic sex abuse crisis, 10 years later
(11-07-2012 12:33 PM)Jeff Wrote:  Question: Do you think that the priests who diddle with kids actually believe in God? I find it difficult to believe that they do. What do you think?

We have learned that more than 10,000 youth were victimized by perhaps
four percent of Catholic priests in America during the past half
century ...

read the whole article at http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/gues..._blog.html
I think most believed in God. I've never seen that belief in God is particularly good at stopping bad behavior; that's always been about character rather than beliefs. Some may have rationalized, some may have sought and received forgiveness according to the rules of the church, some may have thought they were damned, some may have prayed for strength and never received it. Don't let the impulse to villainize get the best of you; these people were basically human, and believed and self-contradicted and were hypocrites in basically human ways.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-02-2013, 09:31 AM
RE: Catholic sex abuse crisis, 10 years later
Beware of the "no true scotsman" fallacy. They can be true believers and do this, or not true believers and do this. People are good at segmenting things off in their minds, and belief has the virtue of offering redemption and forgiveness for that which cannot be forgiven by man.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply