Catholic vs. Christian

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2014, 03:02 PM
Catholic vs. Christian
I have heard many callers say something like:

I was raised a Catholic but I later converted to Christianity.

or

I was born a Catholic but later I became a Christian.

I am very confused. Catholics are Christians. They are actually the largest and oldest form of Christianity. Is it common somewhere in the world that people think that Catholics aren't Christian? If so then what is their reasoning for this? Are they just so ignorant of what Catholicism is that they don't realise that they are Christians? What is it about Catholicism that makes them not think they are Christians? They seem to do the same with Mormons too and they are just as Christian (its even in the name of their church Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints).
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-05-2014, 03:08 PM
RE: Catholic vs. Christian
(15-05-2014 03:02 PM)robert_rowe Wrote:  I have heard many callers say something like:

or

I am very confused. Catholics are Christians. They are actually the largest and oldest form of Christianity. Is it common somewhere in the world that people think that Catholics aren't Christian? If so then what is their reasoning for this? Are they just so ignorant of what Catholicism is that they don't realise that they are Christians? What is it about Catholicism that makes them not think they are Christians? They seem to do the same with Mormons too and they are just as Christian (its even in the name of their church Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints).

The Catholics clearly don't worship Jesus enough.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
15-05-2014, 03:08 PM
(15-05-2014 03:02 PM)robert_rowe Wrote:  I have heard many callers say something like:

or

It is mostly an American sentiment and that comes from the fact that though america is very "religious" not many people know anything about the bible or the history of their supposed faith.

(Yesterday 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense

[Image: Hitchhikersguide_zps7678fbae.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
15-05-2014, 03:11 PM
(15-05-2014 03:08 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

or

It is mostly an American sentiment and that comes from the fact that though america is very "religious" not many people know anything about the bible or the history of their supposed faith.

Plus them Catholics are filthy Catholics, not unfilthy Protestants.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
15-05-2014, 03:12 PM
Maybe it's like baseball, Catholics are the National league.
Christians have the designated hitter rule.Big Grin

I've heard these same statements before and it puzzles me too.
15-05-2014, 03:25 PM
(15-05-2014 03:12 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  Maybe it's like baseball, Catholics are the National league.
Christians have the designated hitter rule.Big Grin

I've heard these same statements before and it puzzles me too.

The American Ideal is a WASP or White Anglo-Saxon Protestant. Anything else is considered "other" or different.

(Yesterday 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense

[Image: Hitchhikersguide_zps7678fbae.jpg]
15-05-2014, 03:31 PM
We have the Orthodox Church here in Greece.
Catholics, Protestants, anyone who is not in it is not considered a real Christian.

Many verses are like silver threads
tied on the chimes of the stars-
if you pull them,
a silver peal makes the horizon vibrate.
15-05-2014, 04:16 PM
(15-05-2014 03:08 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  ...

Citation needed.

It's prevalent here too. And in Malaysia and the Philippines and etc..

Just more evidence that the flock believe what they are told and don't know the history or read their foundational texts.

But, yes Robert, it baffles me too.

Huh

15-05-2014, 05:23 PM
Anyone who thinks a dead jew came back to life is a xtian in my view.

It is not a title worthy of respect.

[Image: Atheismreality_zps62a2c96a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
15-05-2014, 06:06 PM
I refer you to the clear authority on this subject, Jack Chick:
[Image: 0071_02.gif]
The whole tract is here: http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0071/0071_01.asp

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Catholic priests Dom 39 505 21-07-2014 09:50 AM
Last Post: Impulse
  A good christian mother..... Hobbitgirl 35 368 05-07-2014 09:20 AM
Last Post: Metazoa Zeke
  Top 10 Signs You're A Christian king_scourge 7 418 03-07-2014 10:47 AM
Last Post: GirlyMan
  Christian electronica...yes so this happened. Hobbitgirl 4 79 28-05-2014 08:32 PM
Last Post: earmuffs
Rainbow Conversation between atheist daughter and Christian mother aunts1384 11 1,828 18-05-2014 12:18 AM
Last Post: Cat Attack
  Recent walk through a christian store... Hobbitgirl 15 494 18-12-2013 05:57 AM
Last Post: Free Thought
  Banned from Christian Forums Egor 100 3,611 09-04-2013 09:29 AM
Last Post: That Icelandic