Catholic vs. Christian

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2014, 07:23 PM
RE: Catholic vs. Christian
There is a very low Catholic population where I live (West Virginia, USA). In a county of about 50k people we only have 1 Catholic church. In school only one of my classmates was Catholic. I don't know much about them beyond what I've read or seen on TV. What started me down this thought path was a comment by one of Seth's callers in his latest show. I listened to it today and I paraphrased the caller's comment in my first post of this thread. It is not the first time that I've heard callers make comments like this. I guess that the reasoning behind it is that Catholics are too different from some Protestant groups so they are taught that Catholics aren't "real" Christians. Strange indeed. From the outside looking in I see Catholics as the original Christians, or at least as close to the originals that are still around. With a history of at least 1500 years every other groups appears to have split off from them over the years. I guess I can't expect rationality from religious people.

(15-05-2014 07:11 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 07:02 PM)robert_rowe Wrote:  Wow. I don't think that there was any part of that that wasn't completely bat sh** crazy. I'll admit that I only made it about halfway through though. While there are plenty of things wrong with Catholics they usually aren't this bad.

Truth be told Catholics have their own brand of bat-shit. Like communion actually transforming into the blood and flesh of Jesus.

Not the symbolic change that most protestants believe but with Catholics it's very literal.

That's just one...there are so many more examples, most enforced by centuries of superstition -- and just not knowing better.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-05-2014, 07:27 PM
Communion is another thing that has always baffled me. Don't the realize that they are taking part in ritual cannibalism? Or literal cannibalism if transubstantiation were actually true. I doubt that any of these people would join in if I started carving up brother Joe over there but they eat the blood and flesh of Christ every week. There are plenty of better things to eat than people (symbolically or not) .

(15-05-2014 07:18 PM)Charis Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 07:11 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Truth be told Catholics have their own brand of bat-shit. Like communion actually transforming into the blood and flesh of Jesus.

Not the symbolic change that most protestants believe but with Catholics it's very literal.

That's just one...there are so many more examples, most enforced by centuries of superstition -- and just not knowing better.
Yes, nevermind that drinking blood is supposed to be forbidden.
[+] 1 user Likes robert_rowe's post
15-05-2014, 07:31 PM
(15-05-2014 07:27 PM)robert_rowe Wrote:  Communion is another thing that has always baffled me. Don't the realize that they are taking part in ritual cannibalism? Or literal cannibalism if transubstantiation were actually true. I doubt that any of these people would join in if I started carving up brother Joe over there but they eat the blood and flesh of Christ every week. There are plenty of better things to eat than people (symbolically or not) .

(15-05-2014 07:18 PM)Charis Wrote:  Yes, nevermind that drinking blood is supposed to be forbidden.

That would probably depend on prep and seasoning.

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
15-05-2014, 07:44 PM
In my church, only the priest got to drink the blood and eat the flesh. Us mere believers got the flesh only. This was a paper thin cracker usually used in baking for cookies that need a foundation.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
15-05-2014, 07:52 PM
(15-05-2014 07:03 PM)robert_rowe Wrote:  Yep, I was a bit slow there. Sorry. What is that a quote from? I think that I've heard it before.

(15-05-2014 06:56 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  "Captain I believe the sarcasm detector was damaged in that last volley. Recommend we send a repair crew."

That was just a Mr Spock impression.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
15-05-2014, 07:57 PM
I was only religious briefly. I joined the LDS (Mormon) church when I was in high school. I was a member for only 3 years. They caught me at a time in my life when I was depressed and they showed how to be happy. It didn't take long for my natural rational self to begin to clash with their craziness though. The Mormons do communion with bread and water (because alcohol is sinful). The bread is regular sliced white bread torn into small pieces. It is prayed over and passed around and everyone who wants one takes it. It is weird how this ritual that seems so central to Christian faith is so different in each group.

(15-05-2014 07:44 PM)Dom Wrote:  In my church, only the priest got to drink the blood and eat the flesh. Us mere believers got the flesh only. This was a paper thin cracker usually used in baking for cookies that need a foundation.
15-05-2014, 08:27 PM
(15-05-2014 07:57 PM)robert_rowe Wrote:  I was only religious briefly. I joined the LDS (Mormon) church when I was in high school. I was a member for only 3 years. They caught me at a time in my life when I was depressed and they showed how to be happy. It didn't take long for my natural rational self to begin to clash with their craziness though. The Mormons do communion with bread and water (because alcohol is sinful). The bread is regular sliced white bread torn into small pieces. It is prayed over and passed around and everyone who wants one takes it. It is weird how this ritual that seems so central to Christian faith is so different in each group.

(15-05-2014 07:44 PM)Dom Wrote:  In my church, only the priest got to drink the blood and eat the flesh. Us mere believers got the flesh only. This was a paper thin cracker usually used in baking for cookies that need a foundation.

I only attended church until I was 10. Then I read the bible and stopped.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
15-05-2014, 09:02 PM
As a young LDS member scripture study was a big part of my life. We were given study guide workbooks. We would read them and then read the scripture text that it referenced. This predisposed us to interpret the scripture in the way that they wanted. The contradictions and errors were unavoidable though and caused me great cognitive dissonance. This caused me to start asking questions. The answers only made things worse. Eventually I couldn't take it anymore and I stopped going. Since I had unanswered questions that nobody had good answers for I declared myself (in my mind) to be an Agnostic. It was only a few years ago when I was dating my wife that that I started thinking of myself as an Atheist. Agnostic describes the state of my knowledge, Atheist describes one belief that I hold and Humanism describes my general worldview. I look back on my time as a happy-clappy Christian with more than a little embarrassment.

(15-05-2014 08:27 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 07:57 PM)robert_rowe Wrote:  I was only religious briefly. I joined the LDS (Mormon) church when I was in high school. I was a member for only 3 years. They caught me at a time in my life when I was depressed and they showed how to be happy. It didn't take long for my natural rational self to begin to clash with their craziness though. The Mormons do communion with bread and water (because alcohol is sinful). The bread is regular sliced white bread torn into small pieces. It is prayed over and passed around and everyone who wants one takes it. It is weird how this ritual that seems so central to Christian faith is so different in each group.

I only attended church until I was 10. Then I read the bible and stopped.
[+] 1 user Likes robert_rowe's post
15-05-2014, 09:11 PM
(15-05-2014 03:02 PM)robert_rowe Wrote:  They are actually the largest and oldest form of Christianity.

Every one of the 30,000 + sects think they are the "real" Christians.
I really can't agree that Catholicism is "the oldest form" of anything.
a. It's constantly changing, (even though they claim it isn't), and has changed in many important ways throughout history.
b. They make the claim they are, but in fact can easily be shown to have almost nothing in common with the early communities of Jebus followers.

(BTW, I be putting up a Plenary Indulgence on eBay for bidding soon. ALL your Purgatory time will be wiped clean if you are the highest bidder. You go *straight* to heaven. I thought "Now would Bucky REALLY want to 'go straight' to heaven" ?
Not a chance. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating Yogi, CAAT-LY.
Assistant Manager, Vice Detection, Whoville : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
15-05-2014, 10:06 PM
Would it be right for me as an artist to make a Virgin Mary pancake for ebay?

nah, better not.

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.