Catholic vs. Christian

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2014, 10:09 PM
RE: Catholic vs. Christian
You'd probably get 5 minutes on Fox News. You'd also probably be able to sell it for mucho denerio. Smile

(15-05-2014 10:06 PM)Charis Wrote:  Would it be right for me as an artist to make a Virgin Mary pancake for ebay?

nah, better not.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes robert_rowe's post
02-10-2014, 08:47 AM (This post was last modified: 02-10-2014 08:58 AM by DLJ.)
(15-05-2014 03:02 PM)robert_rowe Wrote:  I have heard many callers say something like:

I was raised a Catholic but I later converted to Christianity.

or

I was born a Catholic but later I became a Christian.

I am very confused. Catholics are Christians. They are actually the largest and oldest form of Christianity. Is it common somewhere in the world that people think that Catholics aren't Christian? If so then what is their reasoning for this? Are they just so ignorant of what Catholicism is that they don't realise that they are Christians? What is it about Catholicism that makes them not think they are Christians? They seem to do the same with Mormons too and they are just as Christian (its even in the name of their church Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints).

Hi
Ok i was born a Roman Catholic my family generations of Roman Catholics, it has taken me awhile to accept that the Catholic Church is deceiving people. If you read the history, you find out who took over the Church, originally Apostle Peter didn't start the church to have idols and to pray to Mary more then Jesus Christ Himself. But evil took over and corrupted the church, why because the Revelations has to be fulfilled. I recommend reading The History of Romanism from the Earliest Corruptions of Christianity by John Dowling. I didn't just read the book I confirm that the history he wrote was real. Took me a long time but it's worth it. Ok Catholics changed the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday. Why because the Devil has to change something in order to deceive people. The Commandment of not allowed to have IDOLS has been totally ignored. Just go to Vatican web page and their paintings have a lot of proof of PAGANISM symbols. The Pope sorry to say that he is the False Prophet, now they changed the 10 commandments again took out the Sabbath God's real Holy Day. Don't believe me read it for yourself. link: removed
02-10-2014, 09:24 AM
(02-10-2014 08:47 AM)sallygwizz41 Wrote:  Hi
Ok i was born a Roman Catholic my family generations of Roman Catholics, it has taken me awhile to accept that the Catholic Church is deceiving people. If you read the history, you find out who took over the Church, originally Apostle Peter didn't start the church to have idols and to pray to Mary more then Jesus Christ Himself. But evil took over and corrupted the church, why because the Revelations has to be fulfilled. I recommend reading The History of Romanism from the Earliest Corruptions of Christianity by John Dowling. I didn't just read the book I confirm that the history he wrote was real. Took me a long time but it's worth it. Ok Catholics changed the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday. Why because the Devil has to change something in order to deceive people. The Commandment of not allowed to have IDOLS has been totally ignored. Just go to Vatican web page and their paintings have a lot of proof of PAGANISM symbols. The Pope sorry to say that he is the False Prophet, now they changed the 10 commandments again took out the Sabbath God's real Holy Day. Don't believe me read it for yourself. link: removed

Are Mormons Christians? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-10-2014, 09:28 AM
(02-10-2014 09:24 AM)Chas Wrote:  ...
Are Mormons Christians? Consider

Does the pope shit in the woods?

Consider

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
02-10-2014, 09:44 AM (This post was last modified: 02-10-2014 09:47 AM by Deidre32.)
The main reason that evangelicals/fundies don't equate Catholicism with "true" Christianity is due to the fact that the RCC doesn't only preach in accordance with the Bible. Coupled with that the RCC teaches that the Pope is the only one who can infallibly interpret the Bible, it has caused many non-Catholics to view Catholics as being part of a "cult." (Not to mention, the RCC's sketchy and bloody history of how it dealt with "heretics.")

As I see it, the only difference between the RCC and other Christian denominations, is that it's been telling lies and getting wealthy off those lies, for a lot longer than some "other" Christian denominations that formed after it. Oh snap. Angel

"Everybody knows what a caterpillar is, and it doesn't look anything like a butterfly." Heart ~ Lynn Margulis
[+] 2 users Like Deidre32's post
03-10-2014, 01:24 PM
(15-05-2014 03:02 PM)robert_rowe Wrote:  They [Catholics] are actually the largest and oldest form of Christianity.

This is what Catholics will tell you. But many Protestants deny it. In reality, there have been many schisms along the way (most notably in the 16th century), and each time, both sides of the schism would claim that they are still the true original church, and that it is the other side who has strayed. Luther and Calvin were not necessarily trying to start new churches. They were trying to reform "the Church" back to what they felt it had strayed from. At this date, with thousands of different sects/denominations, it is impossible to say which of them (if any) is to be identified with the original Church. It's like a tree with many branches. Which branch is "the tree"? None of them.

Anyway, if you go back far enough, the "trunk" of the tree is Judaism, not Christianity at all. If you go back even farther, Judaism is probably a branch of some other tree (or a combination of several trees, at which point the analogy breaks down).

Some Catholics will also tell you that Judaism doesn't exist anymore -- that it "became" Christianity, and what calls itself Judaism today is a fake. I'm sure modern Jews would have a different story to tell about that.
03-10-2014, 01:51 PM
When I was a Baptist, I considered Catholics to be idolaters and worshipers of false gods because of church iconography and praying to the saints.

Also, the idea that everyone had to go through a priest to get to God seemed at odds with Jesus statement that "no man goes to the father but by me."

"Faith is the license religious people give one another to keep believing when reasons fail."

-Sam Harris, The View from the End of the World SALT talk
[+] 2 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
03-10-2014, 03:21 PM
(03-10-2014 01:51 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  When I was a Baptist, I considered Catholics to be idolaters and worshipers of false gods because of church iconography and praying to the saints.

Also, the idea that everyone had to go through a priest to get to God seemed at odds with Jesus statement that "no man goes to the father but by me."

or...should call anyone 'father' on earth....hmmmm Consider

but you'll get that spun a million different ways with a catholic. ''well, what was meant was....<insert bullshit line of the day>...''

"Everybody knows what a caterpillar is, and it doesn't look anything like a butterfly." Heart ~ Lynn Margulis
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
03-10-2014, 03:31 PM
(03-10-2014 01:51 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  When I was a Baptist, I considered Catholics to be idolaters and worshipers of false gods because of church iconography and praying to the saints.

Yep, I had a Pentecostal upbringing, we thought this exact thing.

The tree of delusion is nourished by the vague promises and skewed perception of prayer. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
03-10-2014, 03:36 PM
(15-05-2014 03:02 PM)robert_rowe Wrote:  I have heard many callers say something like:

I was raised a Catholic but I later converted to Christianity.

or

I was born a Catholic but later I became a Christian.

I am very confused. Catholics are Christians. They are actually the largest and oldest form of Christianity. Is it common somewhere in the world that people think that Catholics aren't Christian? If so then what is their reasoning for this? Are they just so ignorant of what Catholicism is that they don't realise that they are Christians? What is it about Catholicism that makes them not think they are Christians? They seem to do the same with Mormons too and they are just as Christian (its even in the name of their church Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints).

I agree the sentiment of that is confusing.

"Presumably man with hair on fire can be used to cook eggs and bacon..."MorondogLaugh out load