Catholics aren't the only ones redeemed, it seems.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2013, 04:14 AM
Catholics aren't the only ones redeemed, it seems.
Well it seems the Pope thinks atheists are also redeemed. The Huffington Post reports it here.

I gtg, but will relay what I think when I get back.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-05-2013, 08:42 AM
RE: Catholics aren't the only ones redeemed, it seems.
Understand that sometimes it seems like the bulk of apologetics work is defending against the excesses and poor doctrine of the Roman "church". Salvation is not by works. The idea of substitutionary atonement incensed Hitchens, right? Salvation is by the death and resurrection of Christ, not works.
23-05-2013, 09:03 AM
What a simply despicable system of judgement.

Congratulations: You have just made me have a little respect for the Pope.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
23-05-2013, 09:10 AM
(23-05-2013 04:14 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Well it seems the Pope thinks atheists are also redeemed. The Huffington Post reports it here.

Must be a campaign drive to collect even more money. "Don't give to those secular charities...give to us. We're the same"

Drinking Beverage

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

23-05-2013, 09:35 AM
I don't care why he said it. A blue zillion of people across the globe listen to him, and tolerance is a good thing, it's a step away from religion feeling threatened by us.

The less people are scared of us, the more people will explore their own thoughts about atheism, the better.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 9 users Like Dom's post
23-05-2013, 09:37 AM
(23-05-2013 09:35 AM)Dom Wrote:  I don't care why he said it. A blue zillion of people across the globe listen to him, and tolerance is a good thing, it's a step away from religion feeling threatened by us.

The less people are scared of us, the more people will explore their own thoughts about atheism, the better.

It's a damn sight better than when they Inquisition'd us and otherwise killed us, probably by countless thousands....

They're getting better.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
23-05-2013, 09:42 AM
(23-05-2013 04:14 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Well it seems the Pope thinks atheists are also redeemed. The Huffington Post reports it here.

My jaw still hurts from when it hit the floor after reading that. Blink

The Catholic church has long held that everyone must be baptized in order to be saved. Baptism can be literal (by water - the usual method) or it can be by desire (following a faithful life in another religion out of ignorance of the "true" religion - or wanting to be baptized by water, but dying before it actually happens) or by blood (dying for one's religious beliefs). Which of the three do good-doing atheists fall under? Consider

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
23-05-2013, 09:42 AM
(23-05-2013 09:35 AM)Dom Wrote:  I don't care why he said it. A blue zillion of people across the globe listen to him, and tolerance is a good thing, it's a step away from religion feeling threatened by us.

Dom....That is an excellent point. Maybe I've become too jaded that I can't see the cup as being half full anymore when it comes to religion.

Thanks.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
23-05-2013, 09:45 AM
(23-05-2013 09:42 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  

Dom....That is an excellent point. Maybe I've become too jaded that I can't see the cup as being half full anymore when it comes to religion.

Thanks.
It's easy for that to happen. Religion gives so much to be jaded about. Smile

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
23-05-2013, 10:30 AM
Gee, thanks, Your Holiness, for not accusing me of being a heretic.