Catholics aren't the only ones redeemed, it seems.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2013, 10:48 AM (This post was last modified: 23-05-2013 10:52 AM by cheapthrillseaker.)
RE: Catholics aren't the only ones redeemed, it seems.
So I see this as a dick move. A dick move for several reasons.

First off, the pope thinks I'm actually wanting to go to heaven and even if I don't - too bad! I know where the party's at, and it's not there.

Second, this is, as MomSBB's said, an advertisement campaign. What better way to get others to think your religion is the "right religion" than to be like "Hey! It doesn't matter if you don't believe - you're still going to make it. Just read the clause - something you most likely do anyway."

Talk about lowering the bar.

Thirstily... I mean thirdly (I mentioned bar; forgive me), I like my free will. Heaven sounds like a bad area. I don't exercise anything of giving up my free will. It depends on how it's defined, but I figure it's about my making conscious decisions during my life. I do not like the thought of becoming an automaton pretty much the same as I don't like the thought that there is a chance I could end up in a coma and become a vegetable. Both aren't mutually exclusive.

To round it all up, I think the pope is a dick for having declared this. If I wanted to get a blue ribbon of participation, I would join a marathon tomorrow. I know I would get it because I have not been active (unless you count running for the bus) in the past since... my childhood? Yeah. I need to catch my breath now as this rant was long-winded for me.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
23-05-2013, 11:04 AM
What immediately came to my mind is something Dawkins said in "The Genius of Charles Darwin".

He said that religion tried to deal with Darwin by three strategies: Deny, attack, absorb.
Well, I think it's what religion has been doing with everything that comes up against it, denying it at first and when it gets stronger it starts the attack. Finally, when the number of the "opponents" is too great to fight, they just "absorb" it.
In my opinion, that's what's happening here.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
23-05-2013, 01:10 PM
I think he's daft. If atheists are not denied heaven, if atheists can be good, what's the point of bein' Catholic ? You get to have a bunch of extra rules about not wearing condoms (cue every sperm... ) and talk to this embarrassing invisible elderly relative who occasionally shows he's listening by randomly killing people... And now suddenly all those assholes over there who're not bound by these onerous stupid rules *also* get cake ??? Well, might as well be one of *them* then.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
23-05-2013, 01:17 PM
Damn, Catholic baptized, communioned, and confirmed...and an Atheist. Yeah, yeah, yeah...got all the bases covered. I can now relax.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
23-05-2013, 01:28 PM
(23-05-2013 01:17 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Damn, Catholic baptized, communioned, and confirmed...and an Atheist. Yeah, yeah, yeah...got all the bases covered. I can now relax.

And go hang with Benedic' when he shuffles off Tongue Wonder what's happened to Benny anyway, have they got him on ice somewhere ? Woulda thought new Pope old Pope blues and the media and all, there'd have been some comment from him ?
23-05-2013, 02:00 PM (This post was last modified: 23-05-2013 02:13 PM by cheapthrillseaker.)
I think I had not enough sleep.

23-05-2013, 02:01 PM
(23-05-2013 01:17 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Damn, Catholic baptized, communioned, and confirmed...and an Atheist. Yeah, yeah, yeah...got all the bases covered. I can now relax.

Come sit by the fire; we've got a seat for you. <3

23-05-2013, 02:02 PM
I think what the Pope has said is being misunderstood by a lot of people, both believers and nonbelievers. There is a big difference between redemption and salvation. He is not saying Atheists will go the heaven. He is merely saying that when his Jesus was crucified and resurrected, all human beings were absolved of sin... given redemption...nothing more. When he talks of "meeting there together", he is talking about coming together here on earth to do good things together. He has carefully chosen his words. As to his motives? That's up for grabs but I think #1 is the public image of the Catholic Church.
[+] 3 users Like Lulu344's post
23-05-2013, 02:21 PM
(23-05-2013 02:02 PM)Lulu344 Wrote:  I think what the Pope has said is being misunderstood by a lot of people, both believers and nonbelievers. There is a big difference between redemption and salvation. He is not saying Atheists will go the heaven. He is merely saying that when his Jesus was crucified and resurrected, all human beings were absolved of sin... given redemption...nothing more. When he talks of "meeting there together", he is talking about coming together here on earth to do good things together. He has carefully chosen his words. As to his motives? That's up for grabs but I think #1 is the public image of the Catholic Church.

Thanks for that, Lulu!

I was never a Catholic. I was a Jehovah's Witness.

That just brings on another rant, though. Big Grin

23-05-2013, 02:57 PM
(23-05-2013 02:21 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(23-05-2013 02:02 PM)Lulu344 Wrote:  I think what the Pope has said is being misunderstood by a lot of people, both believers and nonbelievers. There is a big difference between redemption and salvation. He is not saying Atheists will go the heaven. He is merely saying that when his Jesus was crucified and resurrected, all human beings were absolved of sin... given redemption...nothing more. When he talks of "meeting there together", he is talking about coming together here on earth to do good things together. He has carefully chosen his words. As to his motives? That's up for grabs but I think #1 is the public image of the Catholic Church.

Thanks for that, Lulu!

I was never a Catholic. I was a Jehovah's Witness.

That just brings on another rant, though. Big Grin
I've never been any religion...that's just my understanding of the Christian belief system.