Catholics vs. TTA......Respectfully.....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2015, 04:05 PM
RE: Catholics vs. TTA......Respectfully.....
(04-03-2015 03:31 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  ... It's funny that he's just disappeared. He seemed so intense.

Perhaps not. His masters over at Sus. Dom. might have caught him over here in forbidden territory and sent him a PM he took seriously. He sure took himself seriously.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2015, 04:15 PM
(02-03-2015 04:25 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(02-03-2015 03:13 AM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:  And I do appreciate that.

Doesn't matter about SD. There's other places I go to, in any event. It sucks that they cut me off from my online colleagues, and I even think they are hasty when they sweep away TTA visitors.

If I were to run my own forum, I'd at least have some sort of a basic level where everyone would be able to post. And, if anything, it puzzles me that they are so afraid to engage you atheists. That's one of the things you're supposed to do, I've always been taught.

Indeed.

We value two main things here:
Atheism
Thinking

So the site name is somewhat appropriate.

The former is about 'community'. Many here have suffered IRL by being in a minority and are in need of support and understanding... somewhat ironically: a sanctuary.

The latter is about freedom of expression. To this end, all view points are listened to and often challenged. So it's about thinking and learning.

I've certainly learned a great deal from the people here, seen different perspectives and a few times, changed my mind on some subjects.

The only thing that gets anyone into hot water is their attitude; the way they present themselves. So the guiding principle is "don't be a dick".

The tricky bit sometimes is how to go about calling out someone else's behaviour. That right has to be earned.

In short, this is what makes this site superior to places like SD which may provide a community but do not tolerate dissent.

Just my 2c

Smile

I absolutely agree with you. I have learned lots in my time here.
I think a big thing is that newcommers, and especially theists, have to learn that when you arrive, you really have to roll with the punches. Even though this is an open forum, for which I am grateful since it allows me to be here, it still has a sense of community. Any outsider is going to at first be treated with some hostility, especially since, as you said, many here have faced intolerance. This is why I make a point of never insulting anyone. It doesn't advance any argument and all it would do is cause me to become alienated.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
[+] 2 users Like TarzanSmith's post
04-03-2015, 05:24 PM
(04-03-2015 03:31 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(04-03-2015 05:27 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  He's not a Catholic. Big Grin

Oops , you're right.

It's funny that he's just disappeared. He seemed so intense.

Insane.
I mean after ALL these years STILL obsessed with Vatican II and Cardinal Lefebvre.
He needs to get a life.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
04-03-2015, 06:13 PM
(04-03-2015 04:15 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  This is why I make a point of never insulting anyone. It doesn't advance any argument and all it would do is cause me to become alienated.

No that's not it. It's because you're a pussy.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
04-03-2015, 06:50 PM
(04-03-2015 06:13 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(04-03-2015 04:15 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  This is why I make a point of never insulting anyone. It doesn't advance any argument and all it would do is cause me to become alienated.

No that's not it. It's because you're a pussy.
Duck and weave, duck and weave.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
[+] 1 user Likes TarzanSmith's post
04-03-2015, 07:11 PM
(04-03-2015 06:50 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  
(04-03-2015 06:13 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  No that's not it. It's because you're a pussy.
Duck and weave, duck and weave.

Big Grin

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
04-03-2015, 10:41 PM
(01-03-2015 12:29 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  
(28-02-2015 10:08 PM)PetrovPolak Wrote:  I think I've hit intellectual bedrock here people. Even when I address all his points, he just asserts I respond to the same exact points, all the while no responding to any of my points, and regurgitating the same "Ur not a Catholic" rhetoric.

Well BB does have a point. Part of being Catholic is to follow all teaching put foreward by the pope, regardless of wether it is ex cathedra or not. I could get the relevent section of lumen gentium for you if you want.

Yeah, actually, no, you're not supposed to do that. The previous Popes even 'said' you're not supposed to do that.
04-03-2015, 10:44 PM
(04-03-2015 04:05 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(04-03-2015 03:31 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  ... It's funny that he's just disappeared. He seemed so intense.

Perhaps not. His masters over at Sus. Dom. might have caught him over here in forbidden territory and sent him a PM he took seriously. He sure took himself seriously.

Actually, I just forgot about this thread for a few days. I kind of regret reviving it now anyway.
04-03-2015, 10:47 PM
(04-03-2015 10:44 PM)PetrovPolak Wrote:  I kind of regret reviving it now anyway.

Feeling is mutual.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
04-03-2015, 10:50 PM
(04-03-2015 10:41 PM)PetrovPolak Wrote:  
(01-03-2015 12:29 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Well BB does have a point. Part of being Catholic is to follow all teaching put foreward by the pope, regardless of wether it is ex cathedra or not. I could get the relevent section of lumen gentium for you if you want.

Yeah, actually, no, you're not supposed to do that. The previous Popes even 'said' you're not supposed to do that.

Do it Tarzan. Just do it. I'll do it with you. Big Grin