Catholics vs. TTA......Respectfully.....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-03-2015, 05:19 PM
RE: Catholics vs. TTA......Respectfully.....
(12-03-2015 05:10 PM)PetrovPolak Wrote:  
(12-03-2015 04:56 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  "When did I ever say that might makes right?"

right here...

"No, it's not good for the heretics, it's good for people 'other' than the heretics, since it prevents them from becoming heretics."

You were referring to violence.

No, "Might makes right" would be if I said something like "Catholicism is true, because I said so, and I'm stronger than you.". That's not it. Catholicism is the truth no matter how you enforce, or whether you enforce it at all. The Inquisitions were just a way of legally enforcing that truth, in other words, as I just said: Might doesn't make right, but might enforces what's right.

Just because it's right doesn't mean it's always morally justifiable to enforce it through might. It may or may not be and depending on what it is that's being enforced, resolving to force may degrade its integrity instead.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
12-03-2015, 05:19 PM
(12-03-2015 05:10 PM)PetrovPolak Wrote:  
(12-03-2015 04:56 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  "When did I ever say that might makes right?"

right here...

"No, it's not good for the heretics, it's good for people 'other' than the heretics, since it prevents them from becoming heretics."

You were referring to violence.

No, "Might makes right" would be if I said something like "Catholicism is true, because I said so, and I'm stronger than you.". That's not it. Catholicism is the truth no matter how you enforce, or whether you enforce it at all. The Inquisitions were just a way of legally enforcing that truth, in other words, as I just said: Might doesn't make right, but might enforces what's right.

So "truth" is defined by Catholicism? Prove it.

Also, please explain how you are affiliated with the Catholic Church.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-03-2015, 05:40 PM
(12-03-2015 04:52 PM)PetrovPolak Wrote:  The heretics that the Inquisition saw fit to execute, were anything but 'reasonable'.

You mean like that damn heretic Galileo Gallilei?

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
12-03-2015, 06:48 PM
(12-03-2015 05:04 PM)mordant Wrote:  
(12-03-2015 05:01 PM)PetrovPolak Wrote:  Evidence and theological validity.
LOL! Polar opposites, those. "Theological validity" is an oxymoronic concept; you and everyone else defines it as they see fit. It is an entirely subjective notion with constantly moving goalposts.

Unlike evidence, which is based on actual facts.

No, it's not a subjective notion. There's only one theological truth for each issue, the fact that there's many wrong theories is irrelevant.
12-03-2015, 06:50 PM
Quote: So it would be morally justifiable to execute me to prevent me from influencing others from becoming heretics?

If the law of the land allows it, maybe.
Quote: Why do people that deviate from the supposed true teachings you approve of such a threat to warrant being killed? I thought you were supposed to save people through spreading the "good news," not eliminating the opposition via force.

Well, if that happened, that would be great, however, you have to recognize that among dissent that just arises from misunderstandings or innocent ignorance, there is unreasonable dissent, that arises from unrelenting stubbornness, blatant desire to not understand, mental illness, ect. those can't be debated.
12-03-2015, 06:52 PM
(12-03-2015 05:40 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-03-2015 04:52 PM)PetrovPolak Wrote:  The heretics that the Inquisition saw fit to execute, were anything but 'reasonable'.

You mean like that damn heretic Galileo Gallilei?

Well, first off, they didn't execute him, they put him under house arrest in his Villa, where he died of natural causes a few years later. And secondly, his evidence didn't even prove heliocentrism in the first place. Not only that, but his theory wasn't even correct, as it stated that the Sun was the center of the entire universe, not just this solar system.
12-03-2015, 06:52 PM
(12-03-2015 06:48 PM)PetrovPolak Wrote:  
(12-03-2015 05:04 PM)mordant Wrote:  LOL! Polar opposites, those. "Theological validity" is an oxymoronic concept; you and everyone else defines it as they see fit. It is an entirely subjective notion with constantly moving goalposts.

No, it's not a subjective notion. There's only one theological truth for each issue, the fact that there's many wrong theories is irrelevant.

Which ones you consider wrong isn't subjective?
12-03-2015, 06:53 PM
(12-03-2015 06:48 PM)PetrovPolak Wrote:  
(12-03-2015 05:04 PM)mordant Wrote:  LOL! Polar opposites, those. "Theological validity" is an oxymoronic concept; you and everyone else defines it as they see fit. It is an entirely subjective notion with constantly moving goalposts.

Through what basis does one come to objective theological truth? Furthermore, how is this process one in which everybody can deduce this conclusion and only this conclusion rather than an incorrect one?

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
12-03-2015, 06:53 PM
(12-03-2015 06:52 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(12-03-2015 06:48 PM)PetrovPolak Wrote:  No, it's not a subjective notion. There's only one theological truth for each issue, the fact that there's many wrong theories is irrelevant.

Which ones you consider wrong isn't subjective?

Well, by that logic, evolutionary science is also subjective.
12-03-2015, 06:55 PM
(12-03-2015 06:53 PM)PetrovPolak Wrote:  
(12-03-2015 06:52 PM)pablo Wrote:  Which ones you consider wrong isn't subjective?

Well, by that logic, evolutionary science is also subjective.

Facts baby, facts. Not opinions or interpretation.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post