Catholics vs. TTA......Respectfully.....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-03-2015, 03:31 PM
RE: Catholics vs. TTA......Respectfully.....
(13-03-2015 03:14 PM)PetrovPolak Wrote:  
(13-03-2015 12:57 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Can we agree that they at least threatened torture? He recanted when he was shown "the instruments of torture". Torture was certainly a part of their repertoire, and the threat of torture is a sort of torture.

Also, there is no such thing as totally objective history. Neither of us "was there" -- we don't know exactly what happened at Galileo's trial, and every historian writing about it has a bias -- it can't be avoided. The historians that you prefer to believe have a strong "Catholic bias".

No, even if we weren't there, we can determine, objectively, what happened, just the same as we can do with geology, and the such.

False comparison. For geology, we have actual physical evidence that can be examined. For history, we mostly just have documents, which are basically hearsay. Some historians are more trustworthy than others, and when you have more than one account, you can compare them. But you're ultimately taking someone's word for it. That's much less certain than in a science like geology where we have hard physical evidence.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-03-2015, 04:04 PM
(13-03-2015 12:53 PM)PetrovPolak Wrote:  
(13-03-2015 09:50 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  As they did to Giordano Bruno for refusing to surrender his reason to spare his life. "Perhaps you pronounce this sentence against me with greater fear than I receive it."

Giordano Bruno was a pagan magician that only believed in heliocentrism because he supposedly received psychic visions from pagan gods that told him it was true. I honestly can't figure out why you people idolize a person like that.

You're clearly not a scientist. Not that it wasn't already obvious many many many many posts ago.

Petrov Polak is a superstitious fool that only believes in god because he can't think for himself and must defer to equally superstitious masters of a non-existent entity. So what should we do with him Grand Inquisitor, ... Consider ...

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
13-03-2015, 04:21 PM
(13-03-2015 03:15 PM)PetrovPolak Wrote:  
(13-03-2015 02:47 PM)Chas Wrote:  Galileo was not tried by "the Spanish Inquisition"; he was tried by the Supreme Sacred Congregation of the Roman and Universal Inquisition.
The number of deaths at the hands of the Roman Catholic Inquisition numbers in the tens of thousands.

The last execution of the Inquisition was in Spain in 1826; the Inquisition was instituted in the 12th century, so it had a more than 700-year run.

You're actually combining both, the Medieval Inquisition, and the Spanish Inquisition, into one.

I am not the one who is confused. Galileo was not tried by the Spanish Inquisition.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
13-03-2015, 10:55 PM (This post was last modified: 13-03-2015 10:58 PM by Mark Fulton.)
(13-03-2015 09:50 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  As they did to Giordano Bruno for refusing to surrender his reason to spare his life. "Perhaps you pronounce this sentence against me with greater fear than I receive it."

Giordano Bruno was a pagan magician that only believed in heliocentrism because he supposedly received psychic visions from pagan gods that told him it was true. I honestly can't figure out why you people idolize a person like that.

"Giordano Bruno was a pagan magician that only believed in heliocentrism because he supposedly received psychic visions from pagan gods that told him it was true."

He sounds just like St Paul, the guy who invented Christian theology.Big Grin
I honestly can't figure out why you people idolize a person like that.Huh
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Mark Fulton's post
13-03-2015, 11:06 PM

Pagan Magician? So Dominican friars are not Christians, but Pagans now? Do Catholics have a monopoly on what is and is not a Christian?

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
13-03-2015, 11:15 PM
(13-03-2015 11:06 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Pagan Magician? So Dominican friars are not Christians, but Pagans now? Do Catholics have a monopoly on what is and is not a Christian?

Well duh where have you been ??

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

13-03-2015, 11:26 PM (This post was last modified: 13-03-2015 11:30 PM by EvolutionKills.)
(13-03-2015 11:15 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(13-03-2015 11:06 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Pagan Magician? So Dominican friars are not Christians, but Pagans now? Do Catholics have a monopoly on what is and is not a Christian?

Well duh where have you been ??

I'm just not sure that hot Christian-on-Christian action during the Dark Ages is a valid argument for writing off your opposition as being Pagan. Or for that matter, what labeling someone as a Pagan is supposed to achieve in an audience of atheists. Although I think that the use of the Pagen label says more about Polak than anything else. Apparently he cares more about the label than we do. I really don't care that he was a friar, I'm more interested in how he was persecuted and killed for being an unapologetic free-thinker who was willing to question accepted dogma.

Lest we forget that the term 'atheist' originated with Romans who used the label against Christians because they didn't believe in the multitude of deities that made up the expanded Roman pantheon. Rolleyes

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
13-03-2015, 11:32 PM
(13-03-2015 03:31 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(13-03-2015 03:14 PM)PetrovPolak Wrote:  No, even if we weren't there, we can determine, objectively, what happened, just the same as we can do with geology, and the such.

False comparison. For geology, we have actual physical evidence that can be examined. For history, we mostly just have documents, which are basically hearsay. Some historians are more trustworthy than others, and when you have more than one account, you can compare them. But you're ultimately taking someone's word for it. That's much less certain than in a science like geology where we have hard physical evidence.

Yeah, because everyone knows physical evidence can't be corrupted, or even faked, right?
13-03-2015, 11:34 PM
(13-03-2015 03:30 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-03-2015 03:16 PM)PetrovPolak Wrote:  When you don't even take into account of whether they're right or not, just the fact that the people 'don't want to do it', yes, it completely is.

No, it's not. Read it again - this time with comprehension.

Yes it is, as the only problem that you listed is that they're telling you what to do.
13-03-2015, 11:36 PM
(13-03-2015 11:06 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(13-03-2015 12:53 PM)PetrovPolak Wrote:  Giordano Bruno was a pagan magician that only believed in heliocentrism because he supposedly received psychic visions from pagan gods that told him it was true. I honestly can't figure out why you people idolize a person like that.

Pagan Magician? So Dominican friars are not Christians, but Pagans now? Do Catholics have a monopoly on what is and is not a Christian?

He 'was' a Dominican friar before he got excommunicated. He was excommunicated for accepting the Greek gods as valid and saying he got visions from them that told him that heliocentrism, among other things, were correct.