Causing offense.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-11-2014, 07:57 PM
RE: Causing offense.
(09-11-2014 07:37 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  ...or simply, "oh you're offended? By what part?"

While I would love to say "Go fuck yourself" this is a response I would be much more likely to give. It's more productive and gets the person thinking above a lizard level, even if for a fraction of a second. To say "go fuck yourself" would just confirm their bias against atheists.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
09-11-2014, 08:09 PM
Truth hurts?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-11-2014, 08:12 PM
It's too bad some people get their panties in a wad over certain things. I enjoy being offended. It doesn't happen often, but usually gives me a chance to examine why I'm offended, and whether or not I'm justified.

In real life, I somehow give off a very reserved, conservative, and delicate vibe. I don't know why, people are usually SHOCKED if I swear. People who don't know me really well are always apologizing to me for saying something offensive. I love to say "oh, don't worry about me. There isn't much that I find offensive, but you can give it your best shot!"

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 2 users Like Smercury44's post
09-11-2014, 08:35 PM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2014 07:23 AM by Full Circle.)
"Mind your own business" would do nicely if you're feeling nice.

or

You know, I'm glad you noticed what I'm reading because when I woke up this morning the first thought that came to mind was "I wonder what book I could read to myself quietly that would offend some fucking twat on the bus?" I just didn't know it would be you.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
10-11-2014, 04:53 AM
I'd apologize, put it in my bag and pull out and start reading mein kampf.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 7 users Like earmuffs's post
10-11-2014, 05:01 AM
(09-11-2014 05:31 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  I absolutely haaaaaateeeeeee it when somebody tells you that you're doing something offensive. I need help thinking of something to say back though!

For example I saw somebody put on Twitter that they were told to put God is Not Great (Hitchens) away when reading it IN PUBLIC because it was offensive.

What would you say in that situation??

I'd probably sloooowly turn my head to look at the person telling me not to read, look at them with the most disinterested look I can possibly muster while holding eye contact for a few seconds and then sloooowly go back to the book.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 8 users Like Free Thought's post
12-11-2014, 12:45 AM
I usually return "offense" comments with "Well, the fact that you're offended offends me, so, one of us is gonna go home angry today. And I can assure you it won't be me, because I'm not giving any fucks." Drinking Beverage

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
[+] 2 users Like Misanthropik's post
12-11-2014, 02:01 AM
I'm fairly certain that this'll be moderately unpopular around here: If I'm doing something that offends somebody and they ask me to stop. I'll generally stop. My feeling of satisfaction isn't fundamentally different from their feeling of displeasure, focusing on my own gratification to the detriment of others is my definition of dickery and I'd want them to stop for me.

It just seems fair and I like that.

The specific situation in the OP though? Bugger that noise. "The Hypothetical Reader" isn't doing anything. The offended party isn't taking issue with THRs behaviour or something THR said. They're taking issue with the fact that an opposing position exists.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
[+] 2 users Like Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue's post
12-11-2014, 03:36 AM
(12-11-2014 02:01 AM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  I'm fairly certain that this'll be moderately unpopular around here: If I'm doing something that offends somebody and they ask me to stop. I'll generally stop.

It's OK guy, we can't all be awesome, otherwise we'd think being awesome was normal and we'd have to be even more awesome to be awesome. So you're *needed* Wink Bechased

TBH I prolly would give in too. I just don't have the energy to argue with dickheads.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
12-11-2014, 11:34 AM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2014 11:42 AM by WillHopp.)
Fuck that noise. Someone comes up to you and tells you they don't like the book you're reading they need to be told to fuck off. If it were a sex magazine and the image on the cover violates public decency laws, then yes, you're a douche and put it away. But a book? Screw that.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post