Causing "pain" to others

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2013, 07:45 AM
RE: Causing "pain" to others
(14-01-2013 12:18 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  I know this troll is banned now, I must answer the question as best I can though. No, it is not exactly wrong to hurt others. If terrorists were to manage to nuke everything, it would not matter as far as the universe goes. The planet would recover and life would probably take hold again eventually. The problem comes in where it effects the beliefs of others. I tend to be a believer in eye for an eye. If you hurt me without good reason or even with good reason, I am going to do my best to do at least as much harm to you. It is better to treat others as you want to be treated. I know some may take issue with this, but I will give an example of something I tend to do to others. If I am going into a store and there is no mechanism on the door that opens it for you, I will hold the door open for anyone else that happens to be a few feet behind me. If I do that and the person I hold the door for just pretends I don't exist, I will not do it if I encounter them on the way out. I have done this on a few occassions and had 2 people walk into the door because they assumed I was going to hold it open for them again and they were too busy on their phone to thank me the first and only time. If you are rude to me, I must be equally rude to you. If you physically harm me, I must try at least to do as much harm back.

This just sets up a never-ending cycle of tit-for-tat. Not a good strategy.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-01-2013, 07:55 AM
[Image: btn_eye_eye_275.gif]

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Free Thought's post
14-01-2013, 12:44 PM
(13-01-2013 07:48 PM)namiloveyou Wrote:  I don't see why it's wrong to cause pain to others.

What is the basis of this reasoning?

I personally find it "good" (good and bad don't exist) to cause pain to those who deny me normal knowledge.
Where do they come from? And...why do so many of these psycopaths come to Atheist Forums? Weeping

Has anyone read the crap namiloveyou posted in it's profile? It goes like this:

"Anything is for gain in this life, no matter who is ruffled

no matter who is hurt, And no matter the cost to others

Morals don't and never have existed. get with the programme!"

It's the verbal bile of a social monster! Like this --> Evil_monster And, from the way it spells "Programme", I'm guessing it's from the UK. At least I hope it is from the UK, because the UK (and this Evil_monster ) is a long way from me!

Is there something that can be done to discourage such people from mucking-up Atheist Forums? Anyone got any ideas they'd like to share?

Thanks for tolerating my little rant.
14-01-2013, 01:08 PM
(14-01-2013 12:44 PM)Julius Wrote:  
(13-01-2013 07:48 PM)namiloveyou Wrote:  I don't see why it's wrong to cause pain to others.

I personally find it "good" (good and bad don't exist) to cause pain to those who deny me normal knowledge.
Where do they come from? And...why do so many of these psycopaths come to Atheist Forums? Weeping

Has anyone read the crap namiloveyou posted in it's profile? It goes like this:

"Anything is for gain in this life, no matter who is ruffled

no matter who is hurt, And no matter the cost to others

Morals don't and never have existed. get with the programme!"

It's the verbal bile of a social monster! Like this --> Evil_monster And, from the way it spells "Programme", I'm guessing it's from the UK. At least I hope it is from the UK, because the UK (and this Evil_monster ) is a long way from me!

Is there something that can be done to discourage such people from mucking-up Atheist Forums? Anyone got any ideas they'd like to share?

Thanks for tolerating my little rant.

Nami is no longer here.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
14-01-2013, 01:22 PM (This post was last modified: 14-01-2013 01:30 PM by Luminon.)

Actually, this is a honest and perfectly valid question, not trying to justify anything. Which makes me think if there's more something to the way you wonder about people. Might be a neurologic condition. See my PM.

Edit: Damn, is he gone already? In my opinion, he might have a certain kind of empathy disability. Do people still receive PMs if they're banned or something? It would be quite bad to put him off like that without recognizing his problem and pointing him towards a professional help. I already did so with another person on another forum whom I believe has the very same condition. When I explained this to him, I think he went off the net or something, I haven't seen him since. But it's important to realize that this is nothing personal, it's how our brain conditions us. People who are real jerks, prefer to be jerks in real life, not go on the net. If we ask about certain moral standards, it doesn't feel like questions, but like questioning - doubting. Which pushes our buttons. Everyone's buttons, even mine. We think it's a provocation, while it really isn't, it's a perfectly valid question of someone who can't process this kind of information.

Well, if nami had received a sound advice with references towards medical examination, and still remained a jerk, well, some people are just jerks, neurology doesn't determine that.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
[+] 1 user Likes Luminon's post
14-01-2013, 02:00 PM
(14-01-2013 01:22 PM)Luminon Wrote:  

Actually, this is a honest and perfectly valid question, not trying to justify anything. Which makes me think if there's more something to the way you wonder about people. Might be a neurologic condition. See my PM.

Edit: Damn, is he gone already? In my opinion, he might have a certain kind of empathy disability. Do people still receive PMs if they're banned or something? It would be quite bad to put him off like that without recognizing his problem and pointing him towards a professional help. I already did so with another person on another forum whom I believe has the very same condition. When I explained this to him, I think he went off the net or something, I haven't seen him since. But it's important to realize that this is nothing personal, it's how our brain conditions us. People who are real jerks, prefer to be jerks in real life, not go on the net. If we ask about certain moral standards, it doesn't feel like questions, but like questioning - doubting. Which pushes our buttons. Everyone's buttons, even mine. We think it's a provocation, while it really isn't, it's a perfectly valid question of someone who can't process this kind of information.

Well, if nami had received a sound advice with references towards medical examination, and still remained a jerk, well, some people are just jerks, neurology doesn't determine that.

I think that there are neurological reasons for most of our behaviors, good and bad.

People who have no empathy are dangerous. As far as I know there is no treatment for such people yet.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
14-01-2013, 02:45 PM (This post was last modified: 14-01-2013 02:55 PM by Luminon.)
(14-01-2013 02:00 PM)Dom Wrote:  I think that there are neurological reasons for most of our behaviors, good and bad.

People who have no empathy are dangerous. As far as I know there is no treatment for such people yet.
Good or bad behavior, that's up to interpretation. If he asked just to clarify his concepts about people's apparently incomprehensible behavior (ethics), then it was good. If he asked just to kick the hornet nest of militant humanists like me, then it was bad.
Anyone may be dangerous, that's a very individual thing. It's not antisociality (the dangerous disorder) or asociality (I think). These people are called psychopaths and there's a plenty of them on Wall Street and in politics and there are no murders there. They're law-abiding citizens, essentially. Laws are clear, obey them, or the police will come and lock you up. That's a perfectly clear statement, much more real than this phony nebulous feely goody things in people's heads. People commit most of crimes or get violent because they don't control their feelings, not because they have none. Too bad our law doesn't forbid impoverishing countries and sending people to war.

I think they basically live in a world where people take way too much for granted, pretend to be much better than they actually are deep within, pretend to disregard our true nature. Humans are just animals pursuing all kinds of pleasure and avoiding pain. Even the so-called doing good is just done because it makes us feel good. They may think they're the honest ones, not pretending anything, taking things as they are. I think Satanism and realpolitik have a lot in common with this mentality.
These might be some of the rationalization that a common psychopath uses to make sense of the world and the society. We have to make these rationalizations, when we don't really know that our brain lies to us about people. Ok, I'm getting off the soapbox now.

I just regret it clicked together in my mind just now, too late.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
14-01-2013, 05:18 PM
(13-01-2013 08:29 PM)namiloveyou Wrote:  I think suffering is wrong. who doesn't? can you read?
Pain and suffering tend to go hand in hand.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
19-01-2013, 02:44 PM
Maybe it's not wrong, but it isn't moral - at least, based on the current definition of morality.
I think that being a moral person and trying to live in harmony with others is a sign of a proper education and maybe intelligence too.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." - Benjamin Franklin
20-01-2013, 01:52 AM
(14-01-2013 07:55 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  [Image: btn_eye_eye_275.gif]

this is exactly what assholes count on. I have no fear of retaliation. I give back what is received and I am treated nicer for it. People tend to remember.