Caution: Serpentdove is copying/pasting your conversations

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2017, 05:16 AM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2017 05:37 AM by Heath_Tierney.)
Caution: Serpentdove is copying/pasting your conversations
Not sure if anyone noticed this (I know DLJ did) but every dealing with the troll serpentdove is being copied and pasted to his/her personal website, probably for their own personal aggrandizement. (I guess the troll didn't get that whole "pride is a sin" thing, but I digress.)

He/she has many of the conversations listed under headings along with a series of erratic, hateful and confused diatribes. Also included on their main page are a series of disturbing pictures which purportedly show a flawless xtian life, including young girls (I'm assuming they're daughters) in dance costumes and underage boys handling long guns.

If he/she asked your permission to copy/paste the conversations, then it's all good. If not, it's underhanded and, while probably not illegal, is certainly not the right thing to do.

Whether this is a bannable offence is not for me to decide so I'll just leave that alone. But be aware: every conversation you have with serpentdove is being recorded for their own personal website.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
03-07-2017, 05:22 AM
RE: Caution: Serpentdove is copying/pasting your conversations
Thanks for the warning! What a messed up individual. I think he's probably best ignored by everyone. I expect he'll be banned in the not-too-distant future.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
03-07-2017, 05:27 AM
Couldn't make head or tail of the bullshit on that page Dodgy I wouldn't be worried. If anyone ever reads his tripe they'll leave with the certain knowledge that he's fucked in the head.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
03-07-2017, 05:34 AM
(03-07-2017 05:16 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  Not sure if anyone noticed this (I know DLJ did) but every dealing with the troll serpentdove is being copied and pasted to his/her personal website, probably for their own personal aggrandizement. (I guess the troll didn't get that whole "pride is a sin" thing, but I digress.)

He/she has many of the conversations listed under headings, along with a series of erratic, hateful and confused diatribes. Also included on their main page are a series of disturbing pictures which purportedly show a flawless xtian life, including young girls (I'm assuming they're daughters) in dance costumes and underage boys handling long guns.

If he/she asked your permission to copy/paste the conversations, then it's all good. If not, it's underhanded and, while probably not illegal, is certainly not the right thing to do.

Whether this is a bannable offence is not for me to decide so I'll just leave that alone. But be aware: every conversation you have with serpentdove is being recorded for their own personal website.

DLJ posted in the rep section, and I posted in one of the threads directing members' attention there. Because we don't want to be promoting this website at the expense of our own--it is easy to find on SD's member page--we're trying to avoid linking it.

Quote mining is not illegal and is not against TOS. It's unethical (not to mention unChristian) that the conversations are being misrepresented, as SD is often not posting the whole content of the replies quoted. However, members should know that the conversations on our public forums are not private, can be found with internet searches, and may be copied by anyone.
[+] 4 users Like julep's post
03-07-2017, 05:49 AM
(03-07-2017 05:34 AM)julep Wrote:  DLJ posted in the rep section, and I posted in one of the threads directing members' attention there. Because we don't want to be promoting this website at the expense of our own--it is easy to find on SD's member page--we're trying to avoid linking it.

Quote mining is not illegal and is not against TOS. It's unethical (not to mention unChristian) that the conversations are being misrepresented, as SD is often not posting the whole content of the replies quoted. However, members should know that the conversations on our public forums are not private, can be found with internet searches, and may be copied by anyone.

Not everyone sees the rep section and not everyone sees every thread, which is why I decided to create one.

Regardless, I've edited my OP to delete the link; if anyone is interested in seeing a crazy-as-fuck xtain website they can source it without my help.

Just wanted to bring SDs aberrant and unethical behaviour to light so others don't fall victim to it.
[+] 8 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
03-07-2017, 05:51 AM
This post is with my member hat on, not my mod hat (so I'm in basic black here).

While I find SD's copying and pasting annoying--particularly as I'm one of the people quoted--I also think she seems like an extremely troubled, unhappy, and vulnerable person. Members like this tend to have a short lifespan and only post intermittently before leaving or being banned. My best guess is that she'll be around for a few weeks at most.

I'm feeling ambivalent about the ethics of discussing information from a personal web page which has not been shared in the course of the conversations here. (Even when the member in question is acting unethically herself.)
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
03-07-2017, 05:58 AM
Yeah I've looked at the website.

I doubt I'll respond to any of the asshole's posts but if I do I'll take EK's advice and probably respond with rude meme postings so that snakebird will be less willing to copy and paste it.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post
03-07-2017, 06:16 AM
That's a rather bizarre website. Looks like it's nothing more than notes to self that Mt 10:16 wants to remember. Not sure why they made it public but don't see the harm in it.

#sigh
03-07-2017, 07:00 AM
Wearing my SEO hat:

It is more sneaky than that. Google would probably like to know and would punish his site for plagiarism. It is a more subtle way of manipulating google - google values content. If a site shows the same type of content as a well established one, it gains exposure. By using things posted here, he gives himself a boost in the search engines that is less likely to be caught by google than links. But google does have dupe content in it's algo and if detected, what he is doing is a punishable offense in the eyes of the google gods. And for website owners, that is worse than a criminal misdemeanor.

When I ran websites, I used to report this behavior to google and see the culprits sink into the bottom swamp that is google's purgatory.

So, Serpentdove, watch it! Cheating the search engines annoys me, it is stealing from the success of others and even possibly getting them in google trouble because of dupe content if not reported first.

I say, cut the crap, serpent. The google gods definitely exist, and they are swift to punish.

You can take that as a warning. Dodgy

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 6 users Like Dom's post
03-07-2017, 07:02 AM
(03-07-2017 05:34 AM)julep Wrote:  Quote mining is not illegal and is not against TOS. It's unethical (not to mention unChristian) that the conversations are being misrepresented, as SD is often not posting the whole content of the replies quoted.

Nope. 1 Cor. 9:22 gives the ability to lie for jeebus.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac