Caved in, went to church

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-11-2013, 06:52 PM
Caved in, went to church
And wouldn't you know it, it was communion. The pastor went on ad nauseum about it representing the broken body of Jesus and his blood. When the tiny glasses and bread cubes were passed out I almost gagged because it suddenly represented cannibalism. The more he went on about it the worse the feeling got. The bread was pocketed altho I went thro the motions, trying to keep a lurching stomach down. Did the same with the grape juice. The people who coaxed me in to going will never ever get me to attend church again.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2013, 07:03 PM
RE: Caved in, went to church
(03-11-2013 06:52 PM)Takelababy Wrote:  And wouldn't you know it, it was communion. The pastor went on ad nauseum about it representing the broken body of Jesus and his blood. When the tiny glasses and bread cubes were passed out I almost gagged because it suddenly represented cannibalism. The more he went on about it the worse the feeling got. The bread was pocketed altho I went thro the motions, trying to keep a lurching stomach down. Did the same with the grape juice. The people who coaxed me in to going will never ever get me to attend church again.

Yup, I get the same visceral reaction when I am forced to attend at my school.

Cannibalism is not a thing I enjoy, even symbolically.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
03-11-2013, 07:10 PM
(03-11-2013 06:52 PM)Takelababy Wrote:  And wouldn't you know it, it was communion. The pastor went on ad nauseum about it representing the broken body of Jesus and his blood. When the tiny glasses and bread cubes were passed out I almost gagged because it suddenly represented cannibalism. The more he went on about it the worse the feeling got. The bread was pocketed altho I went thro the motions, trying to keep a lurching stomach down. Did the same with the grape juice. The people who coaxed me in to going will never ever get me to attend church again.
Silly, it doesn't represent the body of christ it is the body of christ. Haven't you heard of transubstantiation?Tongue

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 4 users Like grizzlysnake's post
03-11-2013, 07:13 PM
(03-11-2013 07:10 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  
Silly, it doesn't represent the body of christ it is the body of christ. Haven't you heard of transubstantiation?Tongue

Nonsense is as nonsense does.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
03-11-2013, 07:14 PM

When I was a kid there was this big ordeal at communion because my little sister refused to eat Jesus. She cried hysterically and went into a screaming tantrum I cannot imagine the psychological damage from that, she was absolutely horrified begging us all not to eat Jesus. I had to suppress laughter at the time, but now I think it must have been a traumatizing experience for her.
[+] 5 users Like Losty's post
03-11-2013, 07:25 PM
I've passed the tray without taking the bread or grape juice/wine before.

But that was when I was a Christian, knew I had unconfessed sin and didn't want to heap additional judgement on my head.

Now I'd be like "Hey! Free food." Thumbsup

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 4 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
03-11-2013, 07:27 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2013 07:30 PM by grizzlysnake.)
(03-11-2013 07:14 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  

When I was a kid there was this big ordeal at communion because my little sister refused to eat Jesus. She cried hysterically and went into a screaming tantrum I cannot imagine the psychological damage from that, she was absolutely horrified begging us all not to eat Jesus. I had to suppress laughter at the time, but now I think it must have been a traumatizing experience for her.
And I bet they can't tell the poor girl that it is a representation or metaphorical because that would be blasphemy. Such an arcane practice.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 2 users Like grizzlysnake's post
03-11-2013, 07:31 PM
(03-11-2013 07:27 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  And I bet they can't tell the poor girl that it is a representation or metaphorical because that would be sacrilege. Such an arcane practice.

No they certainly would not have told her that because it wasn't a representation in their minds it actually is the body and blood of Christ. My mother took her to the bathroom and I assume it was a sore day for her.
03-11-2013, 07:42 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2013 08:00 PM by Can_of_Beans.)
(03-11-2013 07:31 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(03-11-2013 07:27 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  And I bet they can't tell the poor girl that it is a representation or metaphorical because that would be sacrilege. Such an arcane practice.

No they certainly would not have told her that because it wasn't a representation in their minds it actually is the body and blood of Christ. My mother took her to the bathroom and I assume it was a sore day for her.

Children are amazing. How many adults were there that believed they were eating the body of Christ without being horrified? Your sister had the only honest reaction in the entire congregation, and she got punished for it. Unsure

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 2 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
03-11-2013, 07:54 PM
Caved in, went to church
I like my communion well done, with A1 steak sauce.