Caved in, went to church

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-11-2013, 09:16 PM
RE: Caved in, went to church
The pastor had gone on to say that every time we eat bread and have coffee (in lieu of wine) that this is the body and blood of Jesus. So much for enjoying my morning toast and coffee.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Takelababy's post
03-11-2013, 09:20 PM
(03-11-2013 09:16 PM)Takelababy Wrote:  The pastor had gone on to say that every time we eat bread and have coffee (in lieu of wine) that this is the body and blood of Jesus. So much for enjoying my morning toast and coffee.

Luckily, even though it does seem pretty sick, it is not real. I have never heard of drinking coffee in lieu of wine, interesting. I guess if they also had donuts in lieu of bread I would be present for communion lol.
[+] 4 users Like Losty's post
03-11-2013, 10:39 PM
(03-11-2013 09:20 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(03-11-2013 09:16 PM)Takelababy Wrote:  The pastor had gone on to say that every time we eat bread and have coffee (in lieu of wine) that this is the body and blood of Jesus. So much for enjoying my morning toast and coffee.

Luckily, even though it does seem pretty sick, it is not real. I have never heard of drinking coffee in lieu of wine, interesting. I guess if they also had donuts in lieu of bread I would be present for communion lol.

But you'd only get a tiny piece of a donut and one swig of coffee. Weeping
[+] 4 users Like Colourcraze's post
03-11-2013, 10:42 PM
(03-11-2013 10:39 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  But you'd only get a tiny piece of a donut and one swig of coffee. Weeping

I probably laughed harder than necessary at this. My kids are looking at me like I have gone nuts.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
10-11-2013, 08:21 PM
(03-11-2013 06:52 PM)Takelababy Wrote:  And wouldn't you know it, it was communion. The pastor went on ad nauseum about it representing the broken body of Jesus and his blood. When the tiny glasses and bread cubes were passed out I almost gagged because it suddenly represented cannibalism. The more he went on about it the worse the feeling got. The bread was pocketed altho I went thro the motions, trying to keep a lurching stomach down. Did the same with the grape juice. The people who coaxed me in to going will never ever get me to attend church again.

The eating of the deity is an ancient archetype, not new to Christianity at all.

It's related with the eating of an enemy's heart for their strength.

But I may as well as explain that it's not cannibalism, I don't know what religion you're in but this is the Catholic transubstantiation ritual. When that priest says that incantation and rings that bell, that is not a piece of bread anymore, it is Jesus Christ's flesh in it's entirety, it is in essence Jesus, but retains the accidental traits of bread and wine. But it is Jesus, according to them. One of my favorite religious rituals, but the Ramayana is also frickin' epic.
11-11-2013, 06:10 AM
In my church you couldn't take communion until you were baptised, and that was at least supposed to be an entirely child-driven choice as to when and whether that happened. We were also taught not to take communion unless you were in the right place spiritually, emotionally etc, and that taking communion when it wasn't the right time for you was sinful.

These days I look at the combination of the ceremony and the warnings as a way of separating the in group and the out group. Those who are feeling they are ready to take communion will do so enthusiastically, while those who don't will let it pass by. Don't take communion once and it wouldn't mean anything, but if you consistently don't take it you're essentially announcing that you're having doubts. That's not something most people are ready to say aloud at the beginning of their search. It seems like the ceremony is set up to force you back into that mould on a regular basis because if you drift you'll be exposed. It's much easier to reason yourself out of faith when you aren't being pressured to publicly declare it in this fairly subtle way.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
11-11-2013, 08:40 AM
Sorry but all those who are objecting to the mere thought of cannibalism...

Please hand in your atheist badge on the way out.

If you can't eat human baby you simply do not belong in our club.

Go.

Go NOW!

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
11-11-2013, 09:28 AM
I can lend you some of my stubbornness, Takela. I ain't been pressured into going back to the Jeebus-house yet. And ain't gonna be, either.

But... the churches I'd be pressured back into love to talk about hell and how shitty of a person you are and I can't sit there and listen to some suited-up mammal feed that shit to my babies. So it's fairly easy to stay away.

12-11-2013, 01:29 PM
Mormons don't even get grape juice just water and white bread. I would have gladly taken some coffee or grape juice (coffee is out too, talk about depressing). We didn't really discuss why we were eating it in church. I didn't realize it was supposed to be his body until I left the church, and that is how insanely boring the Church of Latter Day Saints are. Yaaaaaaawwwwwn!
[+] 1 user Likes DeeSK's post
13-11-2013, 01:39 AM
(03-11-2013 06:52 PM)Takelababy Wrote:  And wouldn't you know it, it was communion. The pastor went on ad nauseum about it representing the broken body of Jesus and his blood. When the tiny glasses and bread cubes were passed out I almost gagged because it suddenly represented cannibalism. The more he went on about it the worse the feeling got. The bread was pocketed altho I went thro the motions, trying to keep a lurching stomach down. Did the same with the grape juice. The people who coaxed me in to going will never ever get me to attend church again.

The deed is done now. I'd suggest trying to find the humor in it. After all, it was just some shitty ass sugar laced "grape juice" and cubes of overcooked bread. Personally, in that situation, I would've declined...unless I was peckish Big Grin.