13-11-2013, 10:04 AM
RE: Caved in, went to church
http://www.amazon.com/Communion-Wafers-1...ewpoints=1
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Lienda Bella's post
16-11-2013, 03:55 PM
Not that it's been mentioned, I haven't been baptised and if I were a church goer it wouldn't be this one as many have lost the ability to think or question what they are reading. My father raised his kids to think and ask questions.
18-11-2013, 09:37 PM
When I was a kid, maybe 8, I was at church with my parents and they had communion. Because it made me feel weird, I decided to try to make a joke - I said, "well it's a good thing they're doing communion because I'm hungry!" (I was.) my parents, horrified that I would treat such a somber sacrament so lightly, banned me from taking communion until I was old enough to appreciate it and I got a pretty stern lecture. Basically, it's food to me, and if I am in a situation where I have to take it I'll be grateful for the snack.
20-11-2013, 09:22 AM
That is strange, growing up in a Baptist church you were only allowed to take "The Lord's Supper" if you were without sin. Then later in life as an Episcopal everyone who was baptized was allowed to take the communion bread and wine... I should slap the wine out of my kids hands next time and tell them they aren't 21 and can't partake unless they want daddy to go to jail.

Typically when I attend with my wife and kids I try to imagine how the people that wrote the bible came up with the stories.

RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. - Ambrose Bierce (The Devil's Dictionary)
23-11-2013, 10:19 PM
I've often wondered if the translaters were bored and ramped up the passages to make them more interesting. Keep in mind the bible was written by many then translated into many languages, edited, rewritten, translated again, edited into the King James version before it reads as it does now. I think of the birthday game around the dining room table of whispering a word to someone, who whispers it to the next. The word that comes back is not the word that was sent.