Caylee's Law

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2011, 06:22 PM

Caylee's Law
This is to discuss the repercussions and possible positive applications of enacting such a law, it is not to discuss the trial or the alleged guilt of the mother. Please post those comments in the appropriate thread here.

Caylee's Law seeks to make it a felony to not report a child under 12 as missing within 48 hours, it also seeks to make it a felony if the parent fails to inform police of the death of a child or location of the child's remains within 2 hours of the death.

It sounds reasonable, though the fact this is just the summary (the actual bill is eight pages long) and the rush put on this by politicians (likely wanting to "cash in" so to speak on this outrage) has got my skeptic sense tingling. Anyone else have an opinion on this topic, a link to the actual bill itself, etc?

What happens if a single mother, struggling to make ends meet can not afford a babysitter. Her daughter, a tough and intelligent little girl has to take care of herself for a few hours until the mother gets home. Someone breaks down the door (could have happened even if a babysitter had been there) to rob the place, kills the girl because she saw him and then leaves. The mother gets home just over the two hour limit, calls police hysterical ....
Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2011, 06:55 PM
RE: Caylee's Law
(07-07-2011 06:22 PM)Maskelyne Wrote:  This is to discuss the repercussions and possible positive applications of enacting such a law, it is not to discuss the trial or the alleged guilt of the mother. Please post those comments in the appropriate thread here.

Caylee's Law seeks to make it a felony to not report a child under 12 as missing within 48 hours, it also seeks to make it a felony if the parent fails to inform police of the death of a child or location of the child's remains within 2 hours of the death.

It sounds reasonable, though the fact this is just the summary (the actual bill is eight pages long) and the rush put on this by politicians (likely wanting to "cash in" so to speak on this outrage) has got my skeptic sense tingling. Anyone else have an opinion on this topic, a link to the actual bill itself, etc?

What happens if a single mother, struggling to make ends meet can not afford a babysitter. Her daughter, a tough and intelligent little girl has to take care of herself for a few hours until the mother gets home. Someone breaks down the door (could have happened even if a babysitter had been there) to rob the place, kills the girl because she saw him and then leaves. The mother gets home just over the two hour limit, calls police hysterical ....

I haven't read the law in full, but if something like your scenario happened, the mother wouldn't have seen the body until she got home, if she called the police right away to report the death of her babysitter and daughter within two hours I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be illegal.

However I'm getting pretty sick of them making a huge deal out of this case. I'm in full support of this law, yet to name it Caylee's law is in poor taste, it only associates her memory with death and missing children, hardly a way to be remembered, no?

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2011, 07:11 PM
I see loop holes and difficult questions brewing. This law seems more like something to hope to prevent a situation like this in the future, but the problem is when dealing with mothers of dead/missing children, their mind isn't clear. I've heard of mothers trying to breastfeed stillborns, parents bathing and cleaning dead children. A mother, especially a single mother who might be the only person seeing the children regularly and under a lot of stress, might snap a little bit if finding a dead child, and I think that needs to taken into consideration.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
07-07-2011, 07:21 PM

(07-07-2011 06:55 PM)monkeyshine89 Wrote:  I haven't read the law in full, but if something like your scenario happened, the mother wouldn't have seen the body until she got home, if she called the police right away to report the death of her babysitter and daughter within two hours I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be illegal.

However I'm getting pretty sick of them making a huge deal out of this case. I'm in full support of this law, yet to name it Caylee's law is in poor taste, it only associates her memory with death and missing children, hardly a way to be remembered, no?

In the absence of the babysitter though, how do you think police would respond? They would not simply assume that her story was truthful, they would need to investigate first. How does the bill handle that type of situation, is the mother charged with Caylee's Law and held until the investigation clears her (making her look like the killer to anyone who saw her being arrested and then heard what happened) or do they let her go back home, to a relatives house, etc and then charge her if they suspect she faked the scene?

(07-07-2011 07:11 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  I see loop holes and difficult questions brewing. This law seems more like something to hope to prevent a situation like this in the future, but the problem is when dealing with mothers of dead/missing children, their mind isn't clear. I've heard of mothers trying to breastfeed stillborns, parents bathing and cleaning dead children. A mother, especially a single mother who might be the only person seeing the children regularly and under a lot of stress, might snap a little bit if finding a dead child, and I think that needs to taken into consideration.

Yes, also her possible panic due to worry over what the police might think about her not hiring a babysitter. Are they going to accuse her of neglect, if not Kaylee's Law, etc. Especially if she is aware of this bill and the reasoning behind it.

I would love to read the entire bill, but I can only find news articles about it.
Quote this message in a reply
08-07-2011, 12:09 PM
The basic principles behind it seem okay, to me. It really just seems logical that if you find ANY dead person you will make every effort to report it as soon as possible (unless you are the guilty party perhaps?). And also reporting any kid missing also just seems like basic intuition. So, why we do we have to make laws for EVERY logical choice? The law ultimately may have good principles but it seems to be effing redundant. And I also agree that naming it Caylee's law is outright disrespectful. It is blatantly obvious that it is an attack on her mother and naming it Caylee's Law just proclaims it. Regardless of her innocence or guilt she was found not guilty and should not be subjected to attack from her peers. If there is evidence she did it then it would have been presented and I am sure with the close of this case they will continue to gather any evidence they can.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
08-07-2011, 12:32 PM
Has this ever been an issue before? I'll never understand the need of politicians to "fix" problems regardless of whether they are real problems or not. What are the odds that this is going to come up again? This was a tragedy at every level but adding a law like this most likely would not have saved the life of this little girl. And, a parent who kills and buries her daughter is not going to then say "oh shit, isn't there a law that says I have to report her missing"?

This falls into the category of "we must do something!!!" without really carrying about what that "something" really is or whether or not it makes sense.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 5 users Like BnW's post