Cee Lo Green changes Lyrics to "Imagine"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-01-2012, 01:28 PM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2012 04:13 PM by free2011.)
Cee Lo Green changes Lyrics to "Imagine"
During the New Years ball drop Cee Lo Green changed the lyrics to John Lennon's song Imagine from "Nothing to kill or die for, And no religion too" to "Nothing to kill or die for, And all religion's true."

Other than the fact that all religions can't be true, either one is or none are, does this deserve any uproar in the media or is it just another silly statement by an entertainer.

I wasn't . . . until I was
I am . . . until I'm not
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes free2011's post
01-01-2012, 01:40 PM
RE: Cee Lo Green changes Lyrics to "Imagine"
(01-01-2012 01:28 PM)free2011 Wrote:  "Nothing to kill or die for, And all religion's true."
Now THERE would be something to kill or die for.

Apparently this dumb-ass doesn’t get Lennon's message...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 2 users Like Observer's post
01-01-2012, 01:47 PM
(01-01-2012 01:28 PM)free2011 Wrote:  During the New Years ball drop Cee Lo Green changed the lyrics to John Lennon's song Imagine from "Nothing to kill or die for, And no religion too" to "Nothing to kill or die for, And all religion's true." Link is below

Other than the fact that all religions can't be true, either one is or none are, does this deserve any uproar in the media or is it just another silly statement by an entertainer.

Hey, Cee Lo you dickhead, if you don't like the message of the song, DON'T FUCKING SING IT! WRITE YOUR OWN DAMN SONG!

I suppose that belongs in the rant thread.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
01-01-2012, 02:03 PM
(01-01-2012 01:28 PM)free2011 Wrote:  During the New Years ball drop Cee Lo Green changed the lyrics to John Lennon's song Imagine from "Nothing to kill or die for, And no religion too" to "Nothing to kill or die for, And all religion's true." Link is below

As an artist, this is a HUGE disgrace. What a slap in the face. Boo! Whether one agrees or not, it is not okay to change the art of a widely known and meaningful song (or any song or art) without the artist's consent.
[+] 4 users Like LadyJane's post
01-01-2012, 02:40 PM
What do you know, a rapper with no brain cells idiot!

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
01-01-2012, 02:45 PM
I sure like the songs "crazy" and "fuck you" though.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
01-01-2012, 03:35 PM
(01-01-2012 02:03 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  As an artist, this is a HUGE disgrace. What a slap in the face. Boo! Whether one agrees or not, it is not okay to change the art of a widely known and meaningful song (or any song or art) without the artist's consent.

Unfortunately, this shit happens all the time. I can't remember what the song was, but I remember being aghast at Joan Baez inverting the meaning of a song by changing a lyric.

Also, I've seen productions of Shakespeare plays that were travesties - the director interpreted the play - hey, write your own play, leave Shakespeare alone.

And don't get me started on the Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter movies.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
01-01-2012, 03:58 PM
I heard about this. What an ass. If I were Yoko, I'd smack the shit out of him. Dodgy Ok... probably not. I don't want negative things connected with that song.
Heart I don't mind interpretation and making a song one's own. However, there are just some things one does not fuck with -and at the top of that list would certainly be that particular song.
Undecided What a dick.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
01-01-2012, 05:29 PM
(01-01-2012 03:35 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-01-2012 02:03 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  As an artist, this is a HUGE disgrace. What a slap in the face. Boo! Whether one agrees or not, it is not okay to change the art of a widely known and meaningful song (or any song or art) without the artist's consent.

Unfortunately, this shit happens all the time. I can't remember what the song was, but I remember being aghast at Joan Baez inverting the meaning of a song by changing a lyric.

Also, I've seen productions of Shakespeare plays that were travesties - the director interpreted the play - hey, write your own play, leave Shakespeare alone.

And don't get me started on the Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter movies.

It happens all the time in the field I work in, photography. I wish there was a way to protect copyright and call 'slips' like this what it is- theft!

Are the Harry Potter movies consented by the author? If so, maybe it's just a poor judgement you disagree with?

Books to movies are so tricky. I usually can't stand them, but one I am happy with is Water For Elephants. And I'm not a R Pattison fan either, lol.
03-01-2012, 09:21 AM
See ya drivin round town with the girl I love
Fuck You, oh oh oh ohhhh
I guess the change in my pocket wasn't enough
I'm like Fuck You and Fuck Her too.
Baby baby baby why ya why ya wanna hurt me so bad
so bad
so bad
so bad
I tried to tell my momma and she told me this is one for your dad
your dad
your dad
your dad

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain