Celebrating Religious Based Holidays for celebratory not religious value

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-06-2014, 11:16 AM
RE: Celebrating Religious Based Holidays for celebratory not religious value
We've got Ramadan coming up.

So, of course, I'm being sent to Stralia again.

This is discrimination.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-06-2014, 11:36 AM
We celebrate xmas/Easter without any religion. so the celebration is left to gifts & candy for the kids. No services, no symbolism for anything else. My kids friends and peers are also celebrating the holiday and they think nothing of the different ways that people celebrate it. I wouldn't tell them we aren't celebrating due to atheism just to prove a point. Besides my wife still can't join the team all the way. As for Thanksgiving, I've never considered it a religious holiday. I have no problem with a moment of silence before eating to collectively be thankful. If you want to pray during your moment, knock yourself out. Besides I really enjoy cooking and eating the turkey. After Halloween its my favorite holiday.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
28-06-2014, 12:00 AM
Christianity is not original by a long shot. There are tons of similarities between Christian stories and those of cultures that predate it, especially ancient Egypt. If some Christian criticizes you for celebrating Christmas even though you're atheist, tell him you're celebrating the birth of Horus, the ancient Egyptian god whose story is eerily similar to that of Jesus, but predates him by thousands of years.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
28-06-2014, 12:12 AM
If you're celebrating Christmas with a tree, stockings and presents, none of that has anything to do with the celebration of the birth of Jesus. You're celebrating the winter solstice, basically. The name is just a bit of rebranding.

[Image: 49434f33f39c44052ae7eb72f4896e82638_zpsa...g~original]
[+] 1 user Likes bobsyeruncle's post
28-06-2014, 01:23 AM
(26-06-2014 10:48 PM)worblewatch Wrote:  This is a question as a newly converted Atheist over from not even caring one bit about religion I began to ponder heavily. My family, a nonchristian family with some christian views celebrates Christmas each year nonreligiously. It is purely for the celebratory value of Christmas (IE not for the supposed birthday of Jesus but because of giving). I also just enjoy the feel and happiness of the holiday in general. But as a new atheist I thought of this

Is it possible to celebrate religious based holidays like Christmas without the religion?
Is it ok even if the above question is true to enjoy the holiday as an atheist?

Sounds like you are overthinking the situation.

what distinction are you making between "nonchristian" and "atheist"?

I love Thanksgiving, I love Xmas. I just wish that xtians would try to "make every day like xmas day", as the saying goes.

Easter? Yeah, Ishtar! :-) - I celebrate it InThe Traditional Way. Heh.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
28-06-2014, 04:38 AM
Well,

I do enjoy Christmas! Having the time to spend with friends is wonderful.
As an almost life long atheist. I just like having 2 weeks at home! And with pay!!
I could just do the grumps! However, I sometimes feel I can do that as my Dad died during the Christmas and new year back in 2010.

Its strange that my wife who is slowly coming out of the faith feels I should be sad during this time but she does sad for me!!

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!