Cell Membranes, origins through natural mechanisms, or design ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2015, 11:25 AM
RE: Cell Membranes, origins through natural mechanisms, or design ?
That's called "artificial selection", and while it is similar to how natural selection works (indeed, there are some forms of artificial selection, such as "mate selection", which appear to function in nature), it's not quite the same thing.

Anything that compares the use of human shaping of gene pools artificially to some alleged need for this to occur in order for nature to function on its own is pseudo-scientific claptrap, and will be called out.

If you're proposing that the "need" for wrists existed before wrists existed, simply because you're back-projecting the existence of wrists onto a time when they were not yet wrists, but other systems that were later co-opted into wrists as we know them today, and using that to assert some kind of guiding plan, then yes that is pseudo-scientific claptrap, and I will continue to call it out as such, as he did.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
06-08-2015, 11:33 AM
(06-08-2015 11:25 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  That's called "artificial selection", and while it is similar to how natural selection works (indeed, there are some forms of artificial selection, such as "mate selection", which appear to function in nature), it's not quite the same thing.

Anything that compares the use of human shaping of gene pools artificially to some alleged need for this to occur in order for nature to function on its own is pseudo-scientific claptrap, and will be called out.

If you're proposing that the "need" for wrists existed before wrists existed, simply because you're back-projecting the existence of wrists onto a time when they were not yet wrists, but other systems that were later co-opted into wrists as we know them today, and using that to assert some kind of guiding plan, then yes that is pseudo-scientific claptrap, and I will continue to call it out as such, as he did.

You are conflating "evolution" with "natural selection". The are not the same thing. Further, biological evolution doesn't cease to happen just because the selection mechanism changes.

Last, I did not propose that the "need" for wrist existed before wrist existed. I wondered why that fish, tiktaalik, had a wrist. I've heard it claimed that it was providential. I looked at a picture of a mudskipper and rejected that notion.
06-08-2015, 11:56 AM
Yes. Please tell me more about how evolution works.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
06-08-2015, 12:00 PM
(06-08-2015 11:56 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Yes. Please tell me more about how evolution works.

I could tell you how evolutionary systems work. I don't limit my thinking to just biological evolution. Is there anything specific you want to know?
06-08-2015, 10:44 PM
(06-08-2015 12:00 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 11:56 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Yes. Please tell me more about how evolution works.

I could tell you how evolutionary systems work. I don't limit my thinking to just biological evolution. Is there anything specific you want to know?

The journals you publish in.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post