Celtic cross tat.... some serious regret

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-06-2014, 07:40 PM
Celtic cross tat.... some serious regret
I was skeptical about religion since before I was in my teens. Never comfortable enough to admit it, and the conversation was never brought up, so I never defined my beliefs. 6 years ago, my uncle passed away, and 5 years prior, my grandpa (his father) passed away. Both were huge Notre Dame Fighting Irish fans (for those that don't know, a largely catholic school). Even with my doubts on religion at the time, I decided on a Celtic cross as the base of my memorial tattoo for the both of them.

5 years later, I'm an admitted atheist, with an unfinished memorial tattoo with a Celtic cross on my back. I feel like a walking advertisement for hypocricy every day. Any suggestions for altering (coverup no option), fixing, or at the very least, making me feel better about the only tattoo I regret?

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t658...0a9688.jpg
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2014, 07:56 PM
RE: Celtic cross tat.... some serious regret
First: welcome Big Grin

I think the tattoo is beautiful. You got it as a memorial to someone you obviously loved very much. If you can accept it as nothing more than that, I say keep it. Tattoo removal is painful!! I don't have any good cover up suggestions Confused but others might Thumbsup

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 7 users Like Smercury44's post
05-06-2014, 08:05 PM
It's a good looking tat. I've always loved the celtic design. You should finish it.

To me, a tat is something that represents a memory. It marks a period in your life that was important for you and is a reminder of what was happening and what it meant to you, although I can see the apprehension in what it represents and that you now have that representation permanently on your body. But ultimately it's a reminder to you of your own history and everyone else can fuck off about what they think.

I wouldn't sweat it. Be sure to add to it that it's in memory of your lost loved ones in some way, and then cherish it. Add another tat on your shoulder that better represents your present state of mind. Yin and yang.

I've got a small cross on my shoulder (my first tat), I've thought about covering it up and I may still do it one day. But for the most part every time I look at it, it takes me back to where I was when I got it. It's a good memory of a great day with my then girlfriend, and the "throw caution to the wind" split decision to go for it and get my first ink. It's a shitty little tattoo, but twenty five years later I still get some satisfaction from it. It's all about what it means to you.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 5 users Like evenheathen's post
05-06-2014, 08:05 PM
(05-06-2014 07:40 PM)nbberm2 Wrote:  5 years later, I'm an admitted atheist, with an unfinished memorial tattoo with a Celtic cross on my back. I feel like a walking advertisement for hypocricy every day.

If you feel like a walking advertisement because of the tattoo in you back, does that mean that you walk shirtless everywhere?

Btw, welcome and I'm can only second what Smercury44 said.

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
05-06-2014, 08:06 PM
My suggestion would be to modify it to something you are pleased with.

Ask yourself about what you feel like on your back.

Ask a tattoo professional about how to make it with least alteration.

Want something? Then do something.
[+] 1 user Likes HU.Junyuan's post
05-06-2014, 08:08 PM
Naw, dude, celtic crosses are cool! Thumbsup

I got the devil tattooed on my shoulder back when I believed, but having lost that faith did nothing to take away from how awesome it still looks on me Cool

Welcome to TTA!

[+] 3 users Like TheGulegon's post
05-06-2014, 08:21 PM
Celtic crosses are pretty cool when well done and extremely common in tattoos. I doubt it carries as much weight as you think it may.

If it were me, I would find someone really good at fine line and fill it in a little more, make it more elaborate. A coverup on a black and gray piece that big would be rough to do. Or if you have some color pieces, work some color into it...maybe a really cool snake weaving in and out of it.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
05-06-2014, 10:29 PM
Some believe that the Celtic cross predates Christianity so no worries.. Celebrating your uncle and grandfathers memory with this symbol is in no way hypocritical.
[+] 2 users Like Deedz's post
06-06-2014, 09:50 AM
Maybe this will help:
http://thelyricwriter.hubpages.com/hub/C...nd-Meaning

Your tatt looks good. Perhaps add something else to it to lessen the *cross* effect a little ?

cheers

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
06-06-2014, 10:21 AM
I've always liked the celtic cross. There's something very pleasing about it.
[+] 3 users Like Mathilda's post