Celtic cross tat.... some serious regret

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2014, 10:22 AM
RE: Celtic cross tat.... some serious regret
(05-06-2014 07:40 PM)nbberm2 Wrote:  I was skeptical about religion since before I was in my teens. Never comfortable enough to admit it, and the conversation was never brought up, so I never defined my beliefs. 6 years ago, my uncle passed away, and 5 years prior, my grandpa (his father) passed away. Both were huge Notre Dame Fighting Irish fans (for those that don't know, a largely catholic school). Even with my doubts on religion at the time, I decided on a Celtic cross as the base of my memorial tattoo for the both of them.

5 years later, I'm an admitted atheist, with an unfinished memorial tattoo with a Celtic cross on my back. I feel like a walking advertisement for hypocricy every day. Any suggestions for altering (coverup no option), fixing, or at the very least, making me feel better about the only tattoo I regret?

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t658...0a9688.jpg

It would be fairly simple to make it a swastika. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2014, 10:32 AM
Just bury that fucker.............

[Image: celtic_cross_tattoo600_10661.jpg]

(I drawn tattoos for a living for many years. You'll be ok as soon as you combine some other stuff to reduce the impact of the cross shape)

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
06-06-2014, 12:36 PM
(05-06-2014 08:05 PM)djkamilo Wrote:  
(05-06-2014 07:40 PM)nbberm2 Wrote:  5 years later, I'm an admitted atheist, with an unfinished memorial tattoo with a Celtic cross on my back. I feel like a walking advertisement for hypocricy every day.

If you feel like a walking advertisement because of the tattoo in you back, does that mean that you walk shirtless everywhere?

Btw, welcome and I'm can only second what Smercury44 said.

Well no, not everyday although I do as much as possible (and when appropriate of course lol) It was more just knowing it's there that bugged me.

And WitchSabrina, thanks for the link, that actually helped out tremendously. Seeing alot of the different meanings/symbolism makes me feel alot better about it as well.
It's good too, because I also like the way it looks, just couldn't get that nagging feeling of being a hypocrit out of my mind
[+] 1 user Likes nbberm2's post
06-06-2014, 01:42 PM
(06-06-2014 12:36 PM)nbberm2 Wrote:  
(05-06-2014 08:05 PM)djkamilo Wrote:  If you feel like a walking advertisement because of the tattoo in you back, does that mean that you walk shirtless everywhere?

Btw, welcome and I'm can only second what Smercury44 said.

Well no, not everyday although I do as much as possible (and when appropriate of course lol) It was more just knowing it's there that bugged me.

And WitchSabrina, thanks for the link, that actually helped out tremendously. Seeing alot of the different meanings/symbolism makes me feel alot better about it as well.
It's good too, because I also like the way it looks, just couldn't get that nagging feeling of being a hypocrit out of my mind

Well now a bunch of fellow atheists have said "no sweat, looks beautiful, it has it's own meaning to you" I'd say kick those hypocritical thoughts out the door Big Grin I hope you keep it, but ultimately want you to feel good about it whatever that means Thumbsup

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
06-06-2014, 02:25 PM
I does indeed make me feel better hearing the compliments. But I'm definitely starting to get some ideas around... Now just getting the funds to do it lol
[+] 1 user Likes nbberm2's post
06-06-2014, 02:36 PM
If that's an incomplete tattoo, then the complete one should look even more awesome.

You don't have to believe in what the symbols mean in order to enjoy them. Take the Bohr atomic model, for example. It's laughably (for us) and demonstrably wrong. Doesn't make it any less cool, though.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
[+] 1 user Likes One Above All's post
06-06-2014, 03:17 PM
(06-06-2014 02:25 PM)nbberm2 Wrote:  I does indeed make me feel better hearing the compliments. But I'm definitely starting to get some ideas around... Now just getting the funds to do it lol

Hi Nbberm2 - nice tat! I don't know why you'd remove it. It's a Celtic cross... you were into it at one time in your life. It can help to remind you of where you've been and how you struggled to get where you are now. It's a great conversation piece - it's art. Thumbsup

It's fitting that it's on your back; that part of your life is in the past.
You come first; You are who people will be talking with... not a symbol of something you used to be. If they can't accept that... then they can watch that cross walk away.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
06-06-2014, 07:24 PM
Big Grin RE: Celtic cross tat.... some serious regret
Oh I had no intention of removing it lol too much area and I do like the way it looks. Just wanted some input from my peers Smile
06-06-2014, 07:26 PM
(06-06-2014 07:24 PM)nbberm2 Wrote:  Oh I had no intention of removing it lol too much area and I do like the way it looks. Just wanted some input from my peers Smile

I think finding someone really good at fine line who would be able to really detail it out would be cool.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
06-06-2014, 07:59 PM
I'm hoping to finish it out the way I intended, as I probably should have a long time ago. I just got to thinking about what it was and lost the motivation to finish.

But as for adding stuff to take away from the cross, I'll still need to do some thinking. That link mentioned a tie between the cross and nature (specifically the elements) so i might run with that
[+] 2 users Like nbberm2's post