Censoring White Supremacy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-08-2017, 01:14 PM
RE: Censoring White Supremacy
(25-08-2017 12:20 PM)PaulPablo Wrote:  
(25-08-2017 12:08 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  Don't you just love it when the religious and economic right scream "FREE MARKET FREE MARKET" scream like whiny little bitches when the left says, "Ok, we can do that too."

They don't want small government, they don't even want a free market, they just want to be in control.

I think the objection in that case wasn't against people not wanting to shop there but court involvement. Court involvement being against the free market.
I don't know if the person went broke or not though, but they also received death threats and so on.

Oh bullshit, the courts are there for everyone, not one class, not one party not one economic view.

If the courts never got involved we would still have segregation. If the courts never got involved women would still not be allowed to vote. The right wants to take us back in time. Courts are not here for our country to regress.

Laws and courts are not anti free market. If you want that look no further than the Castro family. Oh, you might think they are poor? Nope, Fidel had an estimated wealth of $800,000,000. Gadaffi was a billionaire whom owned stock in General Electric.

Our "free market" isn't there to promote a free for all. No need for laws at all or courts at all if businesses got to do anything they wanted.

Car companies did not go under when seat belts and air bags were mandated.

But SCOTUS decisions that deny contraceptives to women because asshole bigots like Hobby Lobby are too fucking stupid to understand that they are not paying for condoms or pills or even abortion, puts an undue burden on the worker. If you are rich like a CEO you can chose far more freely as to what you buy and what you spend, a worker is far more limited.

So, is the system there for the rich? Is it there for only one religion? I don't think so. Our laws are not there to protect a free for all. A "free market" does not mean a "free for all, fuck you I got mine" market.

If you want that, move to North Korea, or Cuba, because if you think their rulers don't have global investments, tell me how they pay their military to protect them?

Might makes right is not an economy. Whatever you can get away with is also not an economy.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-08-2017, 01:19 PM
(25-08-2017 01:14 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(25-08-2017 01:12 PM)BryanS Wrote:  I am arguing that what Google allows or not on their site is not in my view a form of censorship--I state this very clearly upthread. I am arguing for Google's free speech rights to deny displaying content on their platform.

OK, I misunderstood you then.

It's OK Smile

I am using conservative legal thoughts (corporations have free speech rights) to defend a liberal political position on social issues (Google's shutting down hate sites and such). I happen to lean libertarian (or classical liberal, not the no-government-at-all sort that makes up the Libertarian Party). So that position is pretty comfortable for me, but it is probably a bit uncomfortable for most everyone else Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
25-08-2017, 01:32 PM
(23-08-2017 07:08 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Should internet companies such as Google or PayPal do what they can to restrict groups such as the KKK from access to the Internet??

Are we ready for such censorship???

Before you decide that some groups or individuals ideas are so reprehensible that they should be stifled, consider -

In some countries, the idea of denying the existence of God is one of the most reprehensible ideas there is. Those folks would feel that atheism is a scourge that we need to address.........

Censorship still seem like a great idea???

And forget about half measures. Tools such as censorship just beg to be used, none are immune to their charms....

I don't think censorship is ever the answer to obnoxious speech -- but a business has every right to host only that content it wishes to host.
25-08-2017, 02:32 PM
(25-08-2017 01:32 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(23-08-2017 07:08 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Should internet companies such as Google or PayPal do what they can to restrict groups such as the KKK from access to the Internet??

Are we ready for such censorship???

Before you decide that some groups or individuals ideas are so reprehensible that they should be stifled, consider -

In some countries, the idea of denying the existence of God is one of the most reprehensible ideas there is. Those folks would feel that atheism is a scourge that we need to address.........

Censorship still seem like a great idea???

And forget about half measures. Tools such as censorship just beg to be used, none are immune to their charms....

I don't think censorship is ever the answer to obnoxious speech -- but a business has every right to host only that content it wishes to host.

Think that through...

Being a landlord is a business, no?

So does a landlord have the right to only rent to whom he wishes???

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
25-08-2017, 02:36 PM
(25-08-2017 02:32 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  So does a landlord have the right to only rent to whom he wishes???

Yes. And they do on a regular basis. Would you take on everyone? Not even taxi drivers - before that's the next example dragged in kicking and screaming - has to transport every drunken bum.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
25-08-2017, 02:38 PM
(25-08-2017 02:36 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(25-08-2017 02:32 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  So does a landlord have the right to only rent to whom he wishes???

Yes. And they do on a regular basis. Would you take on everyone? Not even taxi drivers - before that's the next example dragged in kicking and screaming - has to transport every drunken bum.

And if he doesn't want to rent to someone because they're not Christian, or are gay, black or unmarried, that is the landlord's right??

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
25-08-2017, 02:42 PM (This post was last modified: 25-08-2017 02:46 PM by Emma.)
(25-08-2017 02:32 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(25-08-2017 01:32 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I don't think censorship is ever the answer to obnoxious speech -- but a business has every right to host only that content it wishes to host.

Think that through...

The landlord cannot refuse on the basis of a few protected aspects of an individual- race, gender, religion, etc. Beyond that, the landlord is supposed to be discriminatory in their acceptance of tenants.

And the categories protected vary by region. Some are federal, and states/local areas might have additional protections applied. And those protections only apply in certain situations.
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
25-08-2017, 02:44 PM
(25-08-2017 02:38 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  And if he doesn't want to rent to someone because they're not Christian, or are gay, black or unmarried, that is the landlord's right??

How often will you ask the same question?

Of course he has. He has to cope with the consequences though - for the last time. Same as the bakery going broke over what they didn't want to do. Same as google and paypal if their customers feel like boycotting them.

Getting your rocks off yet or do you want to present another christian example?

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
25-08-2017, 02:45 PM
(25-08-2017 02:42 PM)Emma Wrote:  
(25-08-2017 02:32 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Think that through...

The landlord cannot refuse on the basis of a few protected aspects of an individual- race, gender, religion, etc. Beyond that, the landlord is supposed to be discriminatory in their acceptance of tenants.

So what IS " permitted" discrimination???

25-08-2017, 02:47 PM
(25-08-2017 02:44 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(25-08-2017 02:38 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  And if he doesn't want to rent to someone because they're not Christian, or are gay, black or unmarried, that is the landlord's right??

How often will you ask the same question?

Of course he has. He has to cope with the consequences though - for the last time. Same as the bakery going broke over what they didn't want to do. Same as google and paypal if their customers feel like boycotting them.

Getting your rocks off yet or do you want to present another christian example?

Insults???

That's what you got??!

Can't hold up your argument - call the guy a xtian....

I see how this is going to go...

Tongue