Censoring White Supremacy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-08-2017, 11:57 AM
RE: Censoring White Supremacy
(23-08-2017 04:40 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  @TSG

I heard it too and I deem baby to be emotion laden term purposefuly used by pro-death crowd to demonize those who are pro-choice.

I don't think that neonazis will come to power, though populists and authoritarians rulling in some countries might look for guidance into Nazi playbooks.

It does not matter for me if people spewing nazi shit are failures, trolls or idiots. Fact of voicing such ideas make them abhorrent to me regardless of their reason. However I don't call for persecution of them I simply state that I won't take their side if gov decides to crack on them. Not calling for persecition is extent of tolerance that I have for such types, though it still more than they deserve.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

My sentiments too. Because their so-called free speech threatens to normalize the potential for harm caused to me and others like me, it's a bit less of an academic question for me. They scare the hell out of me. It's not rocket science what white supremacists advocate for.

Free speech is important to me. My life and safety are just more important. I am just glad that google and others like them can suffocate them without necessarily breaking the law.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like tomilay's post
31-08-2017, 12:35 PM
(31-08-2017 11:57 AM)tomilay Wrote:  
(23-08-2017 04:40 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  @TSG

I heard it too and I deem baby to be emotion laden term purposefuly used by pro-death crowd to demonize those who are pro-choice.

I don't think that neonazis will come to power, though populists and authoritarians rulling in some countries might look for guidance into Nazi playbooks.

It does not matter for me if people spewing nazi shit are failures, trolls or idiots. Fact of voicing such ideas make them abhorrent to me regardless of their reason. However I don't call for persecution of them I simply state that I won't take their side if gov decides to crack on them. Not calling for persecition is extent of tolerance that I have for such types, though it still more than they deserve.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

My sentiments too. Because their so-called free speech threatens to normalize the potential for harm caused to me and others like me, it's a bit less of an academic question for me. They scare the hell out of me. It's not rocket science what white supremacists advocate for.

Free speech is important to me. My life and safety are just more important. I am just glad that google and others like them can suffocate them without necessarily breaking the law.

Right there with you, my friend.
[+] 2 users Like Emma's post
31-08-2017, 12:56 PM
I also agree.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
31-08-2017, 12:56 PM
(23-08-2017 07:08 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Should internet companies such as Google or PayPal do what they can to restrict groups such as the KKK from access to the Internet??

Are we ready for such censorship???

Before you decide that some groups or individuals ideas are so reprehensible that they should be stifled, consider -

In some countries, the idea of denying the existence of God is one of the most reprehensible ideas there is. Those folks would feel that atheism is a scourge that we need to address.........

Censorship still seem like a great idea???

And forget about half measures. Tools such as censorship just beg to be used, none are immune to their charms....

I prefer not to censure speech which doesn't represent a real threat of violence. Let people put their ideas out there. It is better than giving them the easy victory afforded by martyrdom. Better to stay on the right side of good manners and then critique what they have to say where you disagree.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 4 users Like whateverist's post
31-08-2017, 01:47 PM
(31-08-2017 12:56 PM)whateverist Wrote:  
(23-08-2017 07:08 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Should internet companies such as Google or PayPal do what they can to restrict groups such as the KKK from access to the Internet??

Before you decide that some groups or individuals ideas are so reprehensible that they should be stifled, consider -

In some countries, the idea of denying the existence of God is one of the most reprehensible ideas there is. Those folks would feel that atheism is a scourge that we need to address.........

And forget about half measures. Tools such as censorship just beg to be used, none are immune to their charms....

I prefer not to censure speech which doesn't represent a real threat of violence. Let people put their ideas out there. It is better than giving them the easy victory afforded by martyrdom. Better to stay on the right side of good manners and then critique what they have to say where you disagree.

If Google or PayPal doesn't want certain people to use their services it is not censure, merely turning down some customers which I unferstand is something that said firms can do.

On a wider point I certainly wouldn't scream censure if Google were to deny service to white supremacists or other disgusting types. Maybe it is shortsighted approach - Niemoller - but I would not stand in defence of fascists.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
31-08-2017, 01:56 PM
Yeah, don't think I'd put myself at risk to defend their freedom of speech but neither will I put myself out to silence them.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 1 user Likes whateverist's post
31-08-2017, 02:25 PM (This post was last modified: 31-08-2017 02:46 PM by GirlyMan.)
(31-08-2017 01:47 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  If Google or PayPal doesn't want certain people to use their services it is not censure, merely turning down some customers which I unferstand is something that said firms can do.

Yup, I have had a couple of credit card transactions declined when dealing with online nootropic vendors (er, I mean research chemical providers) , which while perfectly legal are too "gray" for many credit card vendors. Usually the credit card company gets it right, the two transactions they declined I learned later were disreputable research chemical providers. So yeah, they can decline to do business with whomever they want as long as it is not for protected class reasons. White neo-Nazi fascists are not a protected class. In fact, they could easily make a compelling legal case that doing business with them hurts their bottom line in a very real, tangible sense and not because God don't want them to bake gay wedding cakes.

#sigh
[+] 7 users Like GirlyMan's post
01-09-2017, 04:05 AM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2017 04:53 AM by EvolutionKills.)

Well, that's private business handling their business. Would you rather we force Google and PayPal to serve the KKK and Neo-Nazis? I mean, to do that, we'd have to make 'white supremacist' a protected class, and they would be all set. Then you'd no longer be able to (legally) discriminated against someone for being a racist, hateful, bigot (so long as they're the right kind of racist, hateful, bigot).

Also, if it's not government, it's not censorship. Nobody owes the KKK or Neo-Nazis a soapbox.

(23-08-2017 07:08 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Before you decide that some groups or individuals ideas are so reprehensible that they should be stifled, consider -

You're talking about Bangladesh, where blasphemy is enshrined in laws enforced by the government with force. That's is very far from being anything close to Google and PayPal de-platforming hate speech by denying service.

(23-08-2017 07:08 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  And forget about half measures. Tools such as censorship just beg to be used, none are immune to their charms....

It would be censorship, if access to the internet was an inalienable right, guaranteed and protected by the government.

Are you ready to socialize internet access in the United States? Consider

I mean, I'm all for it, right after we socialize education, healthcare, and get a handle on our homeless, starving masses, and the massive wealth disparity that helps fuel it. But yeah, after we fix all that, let's socialize internet access and give neo-fascists fuckheads their own geo-cities sites back (so they can complain about the free government funded blow-job robots, because nobody will care about their other nonexistent issues).

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 6 users Like EvolutionKills's post
01-09-2017, 04:34 AM
(31-08-2017 01:56 PM)whateverist Wrote:  Yeah, don't think I'd put myself at risk to defend their freedom of speech but neither will I put myself out to silence them.

What happened to ...

Evelyn Beatrice Hall, under the pseudonym of Stephen G Tallentyre, in The Friends of Voltaire Wrote:I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
01-09-2017, 05:40 AM
Google and facebook already censor stuff through their algorithms: haven't you noticed your facebook newsfeed feeds your confirmation bias? They censor some things deliberately, too: think torrenting sites. And some other things are censored: google searches will throw up mainstream media results- you won't get so much coming out of left field.

Personally, I can't see how you can refute any argument you refuse to engage with, so I'm not a fan of censorship. I might feel differently if I lived in a world where the interests of social democracy trumped everything else, but unfortunately I live in this one.
[+] 1 user Likes Sushisnake's post