Censoring White Supremacy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2017, 07:44 AM
RE: Censoring White Supremacy
(23-08-2017 07:08 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Should internet companies such as Google or PayPal do what they can to restrict groups such as the KKK from access to the Internet??

Are we ready for such censorship???

Never a good idea.
Although their ability to sell their garbage to people too young to be able to parse it's truth is a bit troubling.
It's on parents I guess.
The cure for stupid ideas is free speech.
Might not seem that way sometimes but it's still a rule of thumb.
Sunlight kills subhuman slime that grows in the dark shadows.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2017, 09:48 AM
(01-09-2017 07:44 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  
(23-08-2017 07:08 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Should internet companies such as Google or PayPal do what they can to restrict groups such as the KKK from access to the Internet??

Are we ready for such censorship???

Never a good idea.
Although their ability to sell their garbage to people too young to be able to parse it's truth is a bit troubling.
It's on parents I guess.
The cure for stupid ideas is free speech.
Might not seem that way sometimes but it's still a rule of thumb.
Sunlight kills subhuman slime that grows in the dark shadows.

Bleach works faster.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
01-09-2017, 11:15 AM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2017 11:25 AM by Szuchow.)
(01-09-2017 04:34 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(31-08-2017 01:56 PM)whateverist Wrote:  Yeah, don't think I'd put myself at risk to defend their freedom of speech but neither will I put myself out to silence them.

What happened to ...

Evelyn Beatrice Hall, under the pseudonym of Stephen G Tallentyre, in The Friends of Voltaire Wrote:I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

I never found such idea admirable. I don't give a shit if fascists are "oppressed" and denying them freedom of speech would only make me laugh, not stand in support; disgusting beliefs sometimes have price and if that price is gov crackdown then I care not. Baccilus of fascism taking root in someone mind after what happened in XX century don't make me wanting to defend person infected with it, especially given Poland history.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
01-09-2017, 01:00 PM
(25-08-2017 02:32 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(25-08-2017 01:32 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I don't think censorship is ever the answer to obnoxious speech -- but a business has every right to host only that content it wishes to host.

Think that through...

Being a landlord is a business, no?

So does a landlord have the right to only rent to whom he wishes???

Opinions are malleable. Ethnicity is not.
01-09-2017, 01:52 PM
(25-08-2017 02:32 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(25-08-2017 01:32 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I don't think censorship is ever the answer to obnoxious speech -- but a business has every right to host only that content it wishes to host.

Think that through...

Being a landlord isn't really a business, unless you own several properties and file for a DBA or LLC. We could have rented out MIL's house, which would have made us "landlords", but it wouldn't have been considered a "business". In fact we probably would have hired a property management company to deal with the day to day crap.

Yes, landlords do have the right to rent to who they choose to. They can require work history, check credit scores, etc, letters of recommendations, They can reject a perspective tenant. Just like they have the right to evict people who break their lease agreement -- like having a pet when they're prohibited from having one.

Now, it would be upon the perspective tenant to prove that they were discriminated in favor of someone else. Those are often quite difficult to prove.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

01-09-2017, 02:16 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2017 02:38 PM by Thumpalumpacus.)
(31-08-2017 12:56 PM)whateverist Wrote:  I prefer not to censure speech which doesn't represent a real threat of violence. Let people put their ideas out there. It is better than giving them the easy victory afforded by martyrdom. Better to stay on the right side of good manners and then critique what they have to say where you disagree.

[Emphasis added -- Thump]

I think you meant "censor", which is a different kettle of fish.

I'm all for censuring ugly speech; it should be subject to critique and rebuke depending on its merits (which are in the mind of the individual listener). I'm very much aboard with that.

I don't advocate for government censorship. I think private entities hosting opinion-based sites should have every right to determine the content they publish, especially if such content doesn't align with their goals and ethics as a business, and especially considering that they usually include exactly such criteria in their User Agreements.

And I believe that the best antidote to obnoxious speech is reasoned critique. And I'm reasonably sure you and I are on that same page.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
01-09-2017, 08:16 PM
(01-09-2017 01:52 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(25-08-2017 02:32 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Think that through...

Being a landlord isn't really a business, unless you own several properties and file for a DBA or LLC. We could have rented out MIL's house, which would have made us "landlords", but it wouldn't have been considered a "business". In fact we probably would have hired a property management company to deal with the day to day crap.

Yes, landlords do have the right to rent to who they choose to. They can require work history, check credit scores, etc, letters of recommendations, They can reject a perspective tenant. Just like they have the right to evict people who break their lease agreement -- like having a pet when they're prohibited from having one.

Now, it would be upon the perspective tenant to prove that they were discriminated in favor of someone else. Those are often quite difficult to prove.
Exactly. There are many laws against discrimination, including in housing. But proving that's why you didn't get the rental? That's a whole other monkey in the zoo.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
02-09-2017, 12:43 AM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2017 12:47 AM by WhiskeyDebates.)
Man I'm only 4 posts in and this is already the funniest fuckin' thread I've read in a while here.

OP: What do y'all think of private companies censoring white nationalists?

Response #1: Fantastic sass, just...delicious and so worth a like from me. Kudos to you sir!

Response #2: I don't wanna censor anyone, I just want to MURDER people I don't like with fire because I'm a fucking unhinged psychopath.

Response #3: FUCK YOU ASSHOLE! You and your entirely reasonable question! FUCK! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!! FUCK EVERYONE THAT DOESN'T AGREE WITH ME! Despite his total lack of relevance to the conversation FUCK TRUMP especially! He's a fucking Trump who Trumps his own Trump right in his fucking Trumping Trump! Truuuuuuuuuuuuuuuump!!!!! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU​UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
[Image: 3d504ea0-6079-11e4-8f62-1322d9f29fa9_Dea...losion.gif]

Seriously....comedy gold. 5 stars, absolutely would vomit from disgust again.

And people have seriously asked me what I'm talking about when I say people have gotten so toxic politically. Boggles the damn mind.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 2 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
02-09-2017, 07:57 AM
(02-09-2017 12:43 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Man I'm only 4 posts in and this is already the funniest fuckin' thread I've read in a while here.

OP: What do y'all think of private companies censoring white nationalists?

Response #1: Fantastic sass, just...delicious and so worth a like from me. Kudos to you sir!

Response #2: I don't wanna censor anyone, I just want to MURDER people I don't like with fire because I'm a fucking unhinged psychopath.

Response #3: FUCK YOU ASSHOLE! You and your entirely reasonable question! FUCK! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!! FUCK EVERYONE THAT DOESN'T AGREE WITH ME! Despite his total lack of relevance to the conversation FUCK TRUMP especially! He's a fucking Trump who Trumps his own Trump right in his fucking Trumping Trump! Truuuuuuuuuuuuuuuump!!!!! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU​UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
[Image: 3d504ea0-6079-11e4-8f62-1322d9f29fa9_Dea...losion.gif]

Seriously....comedy gold. 5 stars, absolutely would vomit from disgust again.

And people have seriously asked me what I'm talking about when I say people have gotten so toxic politically. Boggles the damn mind.

LOL...that graphic perfectly captured the essence of Brian37 Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes BryanS's post
02-09-2017, 08:11 AM
Hate groups promote their own form of political correctness, demanding people think the right thoughts and say the right things.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post