Censoring White Supremacy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2017, 11:03 AM
RE: Censoring White Supremacy
(23-08-2017 09:59 AM)Emma Wrote:  They don't need the government to know that these groups are hate groups or that they are breaking their own terms of service. And yes, they can and should monitor activity that's been reported to them as potential threats by other users.

They're a privatety owned company. That's why they like sending those near incomprehensible terms of service things that in a nutshell say "You decided to use our bla bla. Anything you do within our bla bla we'll save and use it against you if you do something we don't like. Have a good day."

I don't trust them with my personal information. At any time, these people can change what they consider "wrong". Basically, don't put pictures of your kids on Facebook. It belongs in a photobook; not in Mark Zuckmydick's spy folder.

(23-08-2017 09:59 AM)Emma Wrote:  Additionally, the SPLC tracks hate groups. They are a private organization. The government has probably only a minor role in this, if any at all. And if they do, it's allowing data to be public- such as arrests, charges, trials, etc. All of that is public and data that can be collected and aggregated.

Swell. Let's just hope this SPLC's "tracking" is legal, and that they have a strong moral compass as to what to do with the information, and who they are tracking.
But I'm not really talking about a private "organization". I'm talking about giant corporations and how they handle sensitve information. There is a sizeable difference.

I don't really trust governments with all and everything, but atleast we democratically elected those people. Big corporations though, not so much.

(23-08-2017 09:59 AM)Emma Wrote:  The US as a lot of issues, but that doesn't mean we should ignore any one of them. We, as a country with private citizens and organizations, have the resources and ability to work to address these issues and many others at the same time.

Agreed. Just remember, power corrupts. And if there's something big boys like Google or Facebook has an obsession with, it's exactly that:

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2017, 11:05 AM
(23-08-2017 10:57 AM)TSG Wrote:  
(23-08-2017 10:48 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I don't think you understand what it means to construct a straw man. Following the "internet censorship rabbit-hole" to presume that those opposed to the white supremacists and their views want to simply ignore them under the assumption that they will go away, is an admitted straw man. It would be much better to engage with what people are actually advocating for instead of creating absurd arguments on our behalf that we don't support.

Onlinebiker asked if White Supremacist websites should be censored by private companies. I went down the list of what would happen if individual companies actually went through with that course of action. There. The end. What's the problem?

You constructed a straw man. That's the problem. Literally no one has made the argument that ignoring them will cause them to cease to exist

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
23-08-2017, 11:07 AM
(23-08-2017 10:44 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  ...
The time for talk is over.
What time is it then? Time to take up arms against oppressors? Time to smash cars, to give those right-wingers what's coming to them? I'll support your right to say whatever you want, so long as you don't incite violence. The same as for White Supremacists.
Quote:This is not a fight the left wanted, or started.
Actually, one could argue that excessive political correctness gave Trump a great environment in which to spread his idiocy.
Quote: You are either going to be on the right side of history and stand against 45 or you will be a party to his dangerous rhetoric. ...

More Min Gee Ziss
[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 3 users Like TSG's post
23-08-2017, 11:08 AM
(23-08-2017 11:05 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(23-08-2017 10:57 AM)TSG Wrote:  Onlinebiker asked if White Supremacist websites should be censored by private companies. I went down the list of what would happen if individual companies actually went through with that course of action. There. The end. What's the problem?

You constructed a straw man. That's the problem. Literally no one has made the argument that ignoring them will cause them to cease to exist

Nor did I claim that anyone did. Biker asked "What if X", so I said what would happen if "X" happened.

More Min Gee Ziss
[+] 2 users Like TSG's post
23-08-2017, 11:12 AM
The monuments aren't be censored, they're being removed from public land. The government isn't supposed to support bigotry. Private parties can have Nathan Bedford Forrest in a bedsheet on their front yard if they want to.

The issue is NOT censorship, it's the duties of the government to the residents.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Gawdzilla's post
23-08-2017, 11:14 AM
(23-08-2017 11:08 AM)TSG Wrote:  
(23-08-2017 11:05 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You constructed a straw man. That's the problem. Literally no one has made the argument that ignoring them will cause them to cease to exist

Nor did I claim that anyone did. Biker asked "What if X", so I said what would happen if "X" happened.

And constructed a straw man in doing so.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
23-08-2017, 11:20 AM
(23-08-2017 11:14 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(23-08-2017 11:08 AM)TSG Wrote:  Nor did I claim that anyone did. Biker asked "What if X", so I said what would happen if "X" happened.

Oh no. He made a presumption; one of the most common elements of human communication. The human race is doomed.

[+] 2 users Like ELK12695's post
23-08-2017, 11:20 AM
(23-08-2017 11:14 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(23-08-2017 11:08 AM)TSG Wrote:  Nor did I claim that anyone did. Biker asked "What if X", so I said what would happen if "X" happened.

WeepingWeepingWeepingWeepingWeepingWeepingWeepingWeepingWeepingWeepingWeepingWeepingWeepingWeepingWeeping

More Min Gee Ziss
[+] 2 users Like TSG's post
23-08-2017, 11:23 AM
(23-08-2017 11:20 AM)TSG Wrote:  
(23-08-2017 11:14 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  And constructed a straw man in doing so.

WeepingWeepingWeepingWeepingWeepingWeepingWeepingWeepingWeepingWeepingWeepingWeepingWeepingWeepingWeeping

23-08-2017, 11:29 AM (This post was last modified: 23-08-2017 11:37 AM by outtathereligioncloset.)
[Image: 329bbc168f50120b03deed306ab6086b.jpg]

"vilifying and scapegoating any dissent are the playbooks of despots and dictators." (Brian37 on another thread in this forum)

So how is that radically different from your vitriolic spouting of "fuck you"s and "bullshit"s towards anyone here who has respectfully disagreed with you and/or simply tried to get you back on track to the original questions?

Take a breath.[Image: consider.gif]

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 6 users Like outtathereligioncloset's post