Censoring White Supremacy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2017, 11:30 AM
RE: Censoring White Supremacy
I'm sorry that people don't like it when their illogical arguments and assumptions are pointed out. Constructing straw men to support your own argument doesn't strengthen it, it weakens it. You'd both do better to address what is said instead of what you ignorantly assume

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2017, 11:33 AM
(23-08-2017 11:30 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I'm sorry that people don't like it when their illogical arguments and assumptions are pointed out. Constructing straw men to support your own argument doesn't strengthen it, it weakens it. You'd both do better to address what is said instead of what you ignorantly assume

More Min Gee Ziss
[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes TSG's post
23-08-2017, 11:33 AM
(23-08-2017 09:26 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  The only "censoring" I see happening is the removal of statues that should have been removed long ago. I see no government agencies imprisoning or silencing anyone with any set of views. What I do see is a president who has given indirect and direct support to these groups and has helped embolden them. Last Tuesday, Trump even helped salvage the message from the White Nationalists at the Charlottesville rally.

I won't be tolerant of intolerance.

If you're intolerant of intolerance, you need to go have a good talk with yourself, and try to convince yourself otherwise....

Blink

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
23-08-2017, 11:44 AM
(23-08-2017 11:30 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I'm sorry that people don't like it when their illogical arguments and assumptions are pointed out. Constructing straw men to support your own argument doesn't strengthen it, it weakens it. You'd both do better to address what is said instead of what you ignorantly assume

He clarified his position on censoring unpopular speech, and why it might lead to something worse. This is post 22 I'm referring to.

I'd like you to provide the exact moment where TSG in a *literal* sense, claimed that anybody in this thread said that censoring unpopular speech is a the right course of action. I looked over his posts several times; if I missed it, please enlighten me. I'd like to know.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
23-08-2017, 11:45 AM (This post was last modified: 23-08-2017 11:50 AM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
(23-08-2017 09:50 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(23-08-2017 07:08 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Should internet companies such as Google or PayPal do what they can to restrict groups such as the KKK from access to the Internet??

Are we ready for such censorship???

Before you decide that some groups or individuals ideas are so reprehensible that they should be stifled, consider -

In some countries, the idea of denying the existence of God is one of the most reprehensible ideas there is. Those folks would feel that atheism is a scourge that we need to address.........

Censorship still seem like a great idea???

And forget about half measures. Tools such as censorship just beg to be used, none are immune to their charms....

First Google and PayPal would have to actually *know* who is a potentional... "distruptive influence" on society.

The only place where said corporations could get that information is from the government, or if they like to spy on their own users (which they do, considering Facebook is selling *your* search data right now to advertisers).

Giant corporations who are not democratically elected trying to enforce censorship laws? People... you have a lot more to worry about than just the opinons of some baldheaded illiterate edgelords in the southern US. I mean, I'm just sayin', who knows what else they'll use that information for...

As far as knowing if they truly are, most organizations that use PayPal are just that organizations. There are KKK/white supremacist/neo-nazi groups that have forums much like our own and do advertise that you can donate to their site. So the obvious part might actually be very obvious. Patreon too...Which Seth also uses.

Visa also has rules about who'll they'll do business with. Visa, who most people consider a tool that you use to buy stuff, can say, "no you can't use our credit card/debit or anything bearing our logo to buy or donate to this website." Since they often share that information with MasterCard and other companies, guess what happens? The only one left for them to use is American Express and that shit comes with hefty fees for the vendor.

I'm not really concerned about FB selling my search data. The number one search on FB is other people that are completely insignificant (your next door neighbor or third grade teacher). The number 2 search on FB are celebrities, musicians, shit like that. Number 3 are various groups that already exist on FB. Current events, news and shit like that probably ties with 3 because people do search for that and when click on the trending news it's handled like a search.

Everything else is already "liked and shared" by everyone else.

edited to add: I do often worry this is a weird slippery slope that people can't see the consequence.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
23-08-2017, 11:48 AM
(23-08-2017 07:08 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Should internet companies such as Google or PayPal do what they can to restrict groups such as the KKK from access to the Internet??

They should do what they think is appropriate, because its their business. You in return have the right to have an opinion about their decision.
I have an opinion about what i would do if i was the owner of google, but i am not, and thus my opinion is irrelevant to your question.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 4 users Like Deesse23's post
23-08-2017, 11:56 AM
(23-08-2017 11:45 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I'm not really concerned about FB selling my search data. The number one search on FB is other people that are completely insignificant (your next door neighbor or third grade teacher). The number 2 search on FB are celebrities, musicians, shit like that. Number 3 are various groups that already exist on FB. Current events, news and shit like that probably ties with 3 because people do search for that and when click on the trending news it's handled like a search.

I'm not sure you understand. Facebook literally takes your browser data. They did it to me before I realized that it didn't make sense that Facebook suddenly put up ads for something I had recently searched completely elsewhere, nothing to do with Facebook whatsoever.

An hypothetical example, a rather crude if not lewd hypothetical example... if I were to search up "asian lesbian gangbang" in my search field; lo and behold, Facebook will send me an ad for lesbian asian dating.

See, right then and there, Facebook has stored data about my sexual prefrences. If you don't believe me, check your facebook options under ads. It's all there. Mine is set to off, for good reasons.

[+] 3 users Like ELK12695's post
23-08-2017, 12:02 PM
It's not just facebook by any means. I recently made a comment on another thread here about having given in to curiosity and googling "are human beings red meat or white meat?" and the next day my husband said "We are getting some really weird ads on the yahoo page....what the hell did you google?"

Damn cookies.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
23-08-2017, 12:04 PM
(23-08-2017 12:02 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  It's not just facebook by any means. I recently made a comment on another thread here about having given in to curiosity and googling "are human beings red meat or white meat?" the next day my husband said "We are getting some really weird ads on the yahoo page....what the hell did you google?"

Damn cookies.

Of course not. It's the common buiness practice. And most people don't notice it.

After all, Kim Kardashian is popular.

That is all.

[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
23-08-2017, 12:05 PM
(23-08-2017 11:56 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(23-08-2017 11:45 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I'm not really concerned about FB selling my search data. The number one search on FB is other people that are completely insignificant (your next door neighbor or third grade teacher). The number 2 search on FB are celebrities, musicians, shit like that. Number 3 are various groups that already exist on FB. Current events, news and shit like that probably ties with 3 because people do search for that and when click on the trending news it's handled like a search.

I'm not sure you understand. Facebook literally takes your browser data. They did it to me before I realized that it didn't make sense that Facebook suddenly put up ads for something I had recently searched completely elsewhere, nothing to do with Facebook whatsoever.

An hypothetical example, a rather crude if not lewd hypothetical example... if I were to search up "asian lesbian gangbang" in my search field; lo and behold, Facebook will send me an ad for lesbian asian dating.

See, right then and there, Facebook has stored data about my sexual prefrences. If you don't believe me, check your facebook options under ads. It's all there. Mine is set to off, for good reasons.

Oh, yeah I forgot about that, because my shit has been turned off since the beginning so I just get ADs that fb thinks I'll like. Sometimes they're kinda right too -- most of the time they're just wrong but I just hide them all. I also never click on a fb ad because then thirty more pop up (learned that shit the hard way).

I do get your point.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces