Censoring White Supremacy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2017, 12:08 PM
RE: Censoring White Supremacy
(23-08-2017 12:04 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(23-08-2017 12:02 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  It's not just facebook by any means. I recently made a comment on another thread here about having given in to curiosity and googling "are human beings red meat or white meat?" the next day my husband said "We are getting some really weird ads on the yahoo page....what the hell did you google?"

Damn cookies.

Of course not. It's the common buiness practice. And most people don't notice it.

After all, Kim Kardashian is popular.

That is all.

You know, I think Christianity would be a bit more feasible if every time you thought about brownies or money or, ehem-- "asian lesbian gangbangs" -- God would make them show up elsewhere in your life. I'd convert to get some free stuff. Tongue

More Min Gee Ziss
[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TSG's post
23-08-2017, 12:10 PM
(23-08-2017 12:05 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(23-08-2017 11:56 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  I'm not sure you understand. Facebook literally takes your browser data. They did it to me before I realized that it didn't make sense that Facebook suddenly put up ads for something I had recently searched completely elsewhere, nothing to do with Facebook whatsoever.

An hypothetical example, a rather crude if not lewd hypothetical example... if I were to search up "asian lesbian gangbang" in my search field; lo and behold, Facebook will send me an ad for lesbian asian dating.

See, right then and there, Facebook has stored data about my sexual prefrences. If you don't believe me, check your facebook options under ads. It's all there. Mine is set to off, for good reasons.

Oh, yeah I forgot about that, because my shit has been turned off since the beginning so I just get ADs that fb thinks I'll like. Sometimes they're kinda right too -- most of the time they're just wrong but I just hide them all. I also never click on a fb ad because then thirty more pop up (learned that shit the hard way).

I do get your point.

I'm not saying that the world is close to the end because of this. It's slowly snuck itself into our culture, and I don't believe it will change. We gotta live with it. Banjo told me that. I've been careful with my information ever since. You won't find me with ease at FB atleast.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 2 users Like ELK12695's post
23-08-2017, 12:20 PM (This post was last modified: 23-08-2017 01:19 PM by adey67.)
So let me get this straight, the Intolerant must be tolerant of the tolerant but the tolerant must be intolerant to the intolerant in order for there to be tolerance as long as the tolerant are in charge and not emotionally triggered by having anyone disagree with their intolerance? Rolleyes
OLB started a thread he wasn't abusive he asked a question no need to swear and go off on him even if you disagree also no need to hijack said thread and turn it into yet another Trump bashing exercise no matter how justified. OLB is not Trump. Trump is a c*#t I hate him but seemingly making excuses all the time to bash his ass in order to at first appearance just score points and screw an anonymous dude on the internet who you disagree with makes true liberal progressives look desperate and woah... intolerantBig Grin fancy that !!!! Tongue.
I don't agree with OLB on a lot at all but in this case I do feel he has been unfairly vilified with a massive overreaction, and the one thing I admire most about America is its freedom of speech even for the most odious in society who do not deserve it.
[+] 3 users Like adey67's post
23-08-2017, 12:21 PM
(23-08-2017 12:10 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(23-08-2017 12:05 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Oh, yeah I forgot about that, because my shit has been turned off since the beginning so I just get ADs that fb thinks I'll like. Sometimes they're kinda right too -- most of the time they're just wrong but I just hide them all. I also never click on a fb ad because then thirty more pop up (learned that shit the hard way).

I do get your point.

I'm not saying that the world is close to the end because of this. It's slowly snuck itself into our culture, and I don't believe it will change. We gotta live with it. Banjo told me that. I've been careful with my information ever since. You won't find me with ease at FB atleast.

Most things that sneak into our culture can be usurped or corrupted by others. I'm pretty sure it's really always been that way, honestly.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
23-08-2017, 12:27 PM
(23-08-2017 12:20 PM)adey67 Wrote:  So let me get this straight, the Intolerant must be tolerant of the tolerant but the tolerant must be intolerant to the intolerant in order for there to be tolerance as long as the tolerant are in charge and not emotionally triggered by having anyone disagree with their intolerance? Rolleyes

ikr?

More Min Gee Ziss
[Image: giphy.gif]
23-08-2017, 01:08 PM
(23-08-2017 10:58 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(23-08-2017 09:35 AM)Emma Wrote:  ...
And they prepare for violence at rallies and protest events. And they do use small perceived aggression as an excuse to become violent.

I'm confused.

Are you talking about the normal police in Phoenix or the militarised police at Standing Rock?

Or both?

Huh

Angel

Lol- good question- though I don't know what happened in Phoenix.

When groups of aggressive people gather, especially those inclined to violent means in heated situations (such as the white supremacist groups in Charlottesville), then they use any excuse (such as being spit on, someone being shoved into them, etc.) to engage in that violence. Now, arm those people with sticks and shields, and the beatings begin...
23-08-2017, 01:31 PM
(23-08-2017 07:08 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Should internet companies such as Google or PayPal do what they can to restrict groups such as the KKK from access to the Internet??

I thought your guys were big on private business and it's rights. They are perfectly in their rights to decide what fits their image and what doesn't. The only ones they have to take it up with are their customers.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like abaris's post
23-08-2017, 01:46 PM
(23-08-2017 07:08 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Should internet companies such as Google or PayPal do what they can to restrict groups such as the KKK from access to the Internet??..

Denying free speech to people might draw accusations of being 'nazi' or 'fascist' or 'unconstitutional'..Wink

[Image: washington-free-speech_zpsx9nlrpjs.jpg~original]
23-08-2017, 01:58 PM
(23-08-2017 11:03 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(23-08-2017 09:59 AM)Emma Wrote:  They don't need the government to know that these groups are hate groups or that they are breaking their own terms of service. And yes, they can and should monitor activity that's been reported to them as potential threats by other users.
They're a privatety owned company. That's why they like sending those near incomprehensible terms of service things that in a nutshell say "You decided to use our bla bla. Anything you do within our bla bla we'll save and use it against you if you do something we don't like. Have a good day."

I don't trust them with my personal information. At any time, these people can change what they consider "wrong". Basically, don't put pictures of your kids on Facebook. It belongs in a photobook; not in Mark Zuckmydick's spy folder.

That's fine- you don't trust them. Although you are on the internet. Unless you're connection is tunneled through a VPN, your ISP has your browsing history. They know your IP and they know which sites you visit.

Whether you like it or not, trust them or not, want to work with them or not, if you operate in this world, you share quite a bit of your personal information with big companies, little companies (that often don't know how to treat your data with the security it deserves) and the government. I work in the data industry. I'm pretty familiar with what kind of information is out there about YOU that is bought and sold every day.

With all of that said, yes- they are a private company. And yes, they do reserve the right to change what behaviors are considered against their terms of service. Some things are legally protected, but beyond that, private companies can choose who not to serve.

Twitter bans people all the time for behavior that is outside of their terms of service. They don't have to allow everyone free access to say and do whatever they want with their service. And they shouldn't have to. Why should they have to?

(23-08-2017 11:03 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Swell. Let's just hope this SPLC's "tracking" is legal, and that they have a strong moral compass as to what to do with the information, and who they are tracking.
But I'm not really talking about a private "organization". I'm talking about giant corporations and how they handle sensitve information. There is a sizeable difference.

Do you have any reason to believe that the Southern Poverty Law Center is using illegal methods of data gathering? I sure don't.

And so far, I'm not quite sure what data exactly you are trying to hide from large corporations- assuming you mean Google, Facebook, and the like. I mean, don't use them. That's no skin off my back. But that still doesn't mean that they ought to be forced to provide service to white supremacist groups.

(23-08-2017 11:03 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  I don't really trust governments with all and everything, but atleast we democratically elected those people. Big corporations though, not so much.

Don't give the government the credit of all elected being elected. Most positions are not elected positions and most people who work with your data are simply every-day people like you and me. In fact, most of the people who see and work with your data are going to be low and mid-level employees, not the elected leaders.

(23-08-2017 11:03 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(23-08-2017 09:59 AM)Emma Wrote:  The US as a lot of issues, but that doesn't mean we should ignore any one of them. We, as a country with private citizens and organizations, have the resources and ability to work to address these issues and many others at the same time.

Agreed. Just remember, power corrupts. And if there's something big boys like Google or Facebook has an obsession with, it's exactly that:

Ok, yes, power corrupts. But forcing a company to provide service to intolerant groups that work to force other users into silence and off of their platform only gives power to the intolerant.
[+] 2 users Like Emma's post
23-08-2017, 01:58 PM
(23-08-2017 01:46 PM)Propwash Wrote:  
(23-08-2017 07:08 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Should internet companies such as Google or PayPal do what they can to restrict groups such as the KKK from access to the Internet??..

Denying free speech to people might draw accusations of being 'nazi' or 'fascist' or 'unconstitutional'..Wink

[Image: washington-free-speech_zpsx9nlrpjs.jpg~original]
It's gov that can try to deny free speech. Corporations merely chose their clientele and if they don't want neonazis to use their platorms I can only applaud such decision.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 4 users Like Szuchow's post