Chakras, auras - what's behind it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-06-2013, 06:09 PM
Chakras, auras - what's behind it?
I know a guy who's heavily in this schizoteric stuff. Whenever we clash each other in a verbal battle, he says - "I can see people's auras, it's real, you're just not advanced enough to see it. I can see a hazy aura and what somebody's thinking at the moment." blah blah blah.

For me, there's no hard evidence to support the existence of all that non-optical, non-physical substances. But the guy is not making a penny of it, he has a regular job, not a fortune-teller or stand-up psychic.

I would say its just a cold reading on steroids, or perhaps a synesthesia (did i spell it right?) - when you take subtle clues from a person and your mindset creates a model of his thinking plus some visual effects?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-06-2013, 06:24 PM
RE: Chakras, auras - what's behind it?
What's behind it?

The propagators are either self-deluded, or more likely the case, swindlers.

The believers in the woo woo are undergoing the same psychological processes that religious people develop to believe all sorts of bullshit.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
30-06-2013, 06:31 PM
Delusion? Consider

Faulty wiring in the sensory processing part of his brain? Consider

Alien breeding experiment gone awry? Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
30-06-2013, 06:45 PM
I always lol at the "you're just not advanced enough" arguments from these people.
[+] 3 users Like amyb's post
30-06-2013, 08:21 PM
He is not smart enough to know he has a problem

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
30-06-2013, 09:37 PM
There must be some kind of explanation. I don’t believe in any of it, but sometime I see things, what some would describe as “aura”. It’s like some kind of radiance coming from a person. I think it must be a play of light or I might have a brain tumourConfused But I’d love to have a scientific explanation to itSmile
30-06-2013, 10:11 PM
So to be frank, I was sort of this type of person before. For me, it wasn't aura, it was chi. Before I became a skeptic (mind you, I was never real superstitious), I was big on the chi stuff especially considering my martial arts background. There were chi exercises I would perform with friends and I'll tell you that 100% it felt real. I can still reproduce those thing to this day. However, I now walk around with the mindset that there is in fact an explanation for my sensations and other occurrences regarding chi that I am just ignorant of.

One of the exercises was blowing out a candle with an open palm and an inch or less movement. This isn't a fanning motion, it is a short and quick thrust starting from a relaxed hand ending with hand open and palm facing the candle. I still do this for fun, but I'm thinking it has to do with the force of the thrust coming to to an abrupt stop creating a push of air. This action is the same concept as Bruce Lee's one inch punch except with an open hand.

Another exercise was focusing a "chi ball" between both hands. I can still reproduce that feeling that there is some resistance between my relaxed hands like I'm holding a ball. This one I think is a combination of mind tricks and fingers getting tingly from holding them up in this manner.

As for the aura thing, unlike the existence of supposed chi, it is easy to test for. Find something solid that can block you from your friend's sight. But make it so that it blocks you at just your height. Duck down just below the apex if you have to like a wall. Now tell your friend to pinpoint your location behind that wall. He should be able to see your aura floating above the apex since you are just below it. Do this several times. If he guesses wrong even once, he's full of it.

BTW, here's an explanation of why SOME might be seeing auras:

http://old.richarddawkins.net/articles/6...-of-people

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes NoahsFarce's post
30-06-2013, 10:22 PM
(30-06-2013 09:37 PM)Happy Wrote:  There must be some kind of explanation. I don’t believe in any of it, but sometime I see things, what some would describe as “aura”. It’s like some kind of radiance coming from a person. I think it must be a play of light or I might have a brain tumourConfused But I’d love to have a scientific explanation to itSmile
Epilepsy, hallucinations, eye problems, retinal fatigue, synethesia, afterimages, perceptual distortion, suggestibility. Your eyes don't necessarily perceive the world as it actually is, lighting conditions, drugs, eye problems, migraine headaches can all have an effect on what you see.

I have cataracts and macular pucker (wrinkles in the retina) which cause me to see things weirdly sometimes.
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
30-06-2013, 10:42 PM
(30-06-2013 06:09 PM)CRM-114 Wrote:  I know a guy who's heavily in this schizoteric stuff. Whenever we clash each other in a verbal battle, he says - "I can see people's auras, it's real, you're just not advanced enough to see it. I can see a hazy aura and what somebody's thinking at the moment." blah blah blah.

For me, there's no hard evidence to support the existence of all that non-optical, non-physical substances. But the guy is not making a penny of it, he has a regular job, not a fortune-teller or stand-up psychic.

I would say its just a cold reading on steroids, or perhaps a synesthesia (did i spell it right?) - when you take subtle clues from a person and your mindset creates a model of his thinking plus some visual effects?

It's all woo. I know a few Wiccan types who totally believe in it. It's all rubbish. I think some of it is pretty harmless...meditation and cleansing or recapping. I say it's harmless because it's all bs.

But whatevers. Drinking Beverage

The possession of knowledge does not kill the sense of wonder and mystery. There is always more mystery. Anais Nin

01-07-2013, 04:20 AM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2013 04:24 AM by Free Thought.)
If I may answer the thread's title: "Chakras, auras - what's behind it?"
Certainly not evidence.

(30-06-2013 06:09 PM)CRM-114 Wrote:  I know a guy who's heavily in this schizoteric stuff. Whenever we clash each other in a verbal battle, he says - "I can see people's auras, it's real, you're just not advanced enough to see it. I can see a hazy aura and what somebody's thinking at the moment." blah blah blah.

I have vague memories of briefly engaging a member of this very forum who claimed they could see aura, or chakras or something to that effect, but I can't for the life of me remember whom..

Anyway; the "I can read minds" thing is easy enough to trick out, just challenge them to tell you what your last meal was (ensuring they did not know prior, of course). If they really can read minds, they should be able to probe the deep recesses where the memories and thoughts are stored and tell you exactly what you ate, and you can't change your mind in such a deep, recessive area, so that is not a usable excuse.

Or perhaps simply take him out to a busy place, pick an unassuming target at random, get him to read their mind and ask this randomly chosen person "Excuse me, can you tell us what you were just thinking about?" repeat say, ten times (Don't let this person converse with any of the targets prior to the mind-probing in order to prevent the possibility of cold reading the target.
As for auras and assorted shit, I would just ask them to describe it, in exact detail and pick it apart from the definition; if they start contradicting their initial description during your examination, well that speaks for itself; after they have no reason to change their mind or miss a detail if they can see them whenever they want.

Or for extra lulz, take them to the nearest mind reading, aura seeing psychic's place and have them compete. Even better if it's a convention.

As for evidence, there is no critically examined evidence to suggest psychic phenomenon such as genuine mind reading, spirit mediums, telepathy and so on. And the same goes for auras, chakras and all other assorted woo based "natural energies". The closest thing to an aura I am aware of which is proven to exist is the heat which, unless under certain conditions, is constantly being radiated out from ones body.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.