Challenge

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2012, 09:01 PM
Challenge
I have always had issues with religion even though I grew up in a baptist home. I officially declared myself an atheist about a year in a half ago. My challenge though is letting go of old teachings I was surrounded with. I feel like "well maybe there is a god because my grandparents always said satan would use excuses such as science and make it look real" but usually I am comfortable not acknowledging the existence of a higher power. Has anyone else had trouble with this kind of thing? I feel like I won't ever get passed these momentary relapses into my old religion soaked life. What helped you get passed this?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-03-2012, 10:38 PM
RE: Challenge
For me (someone who never agreed with religion but was raised near the faith). When I got older and wanted to distance myself further fro the ways the people I grew up with thought I worked to change all kinds of words. In fact I say cat damnit and even OMC (I like cats)=p The reasons I ent through the trouble of killing off all the little habits is hat when I would use the colloquialisms with religious connotations it would lead me to some pointless inner dialogues. After reanalyzing my language and trying to kill out the self programming phrases I was taught as a kid things got a lot less complicated. I know many former theists never alter their little theist habits, but for me who was never really a theist it helped me get rid of that nonsensical fear I had without any belief.

As a kid I had a lot of inner monologues because I saw life for all the baptists as much easier (which it was), I had to very often convince myself of why I must follow the way I think. Those little changes really alleviated this awkward issue I was having so while it might seem a bit too complicated for something imple you might just think about this stuff a bit less if you work on it.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
28-03-2012, 10:51 PM
RE: Challenge
(28-03-2012 09:01 PM)iceland25 Wrote:  I have always had issues with religion even though I grew up in a baptist home. I officially declared myself an atheist about a year in a half ago. My challenge though is letting go of old teachings I was surrounded with. I feel like "well maybe there is a god because my grandparents always said satan would use excuses such as science and make it look real" but usually I am comfortable not acknowledging the existence of a higher power. Has anyone else had trouble with this kind of thing? I feel like I won't ever get passed these momentary relapses into my old religion soaked life. What helped you get passed this?
Hey welcome, Iceland.
I don't know if you ever totally get past the programming completely or not. I just laugh at it when I get those memories of indoctrination. It's the perfect mind-fuck tool to tell a child that some day they may have doubts and it's just the devil so don't pay attention. If you do start to delve into science and rock-n-roll then you will cease to believe in God and you'll go to hell.

So I laugh at it because otherwise I'd get very angry...and you don't want to make me angry... Evil_monster

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel